uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

30 November


Buildbase FA Vase Round Three

Westfields 1 Lutterworth Town 3 

Westfields bowed out of the FA Vase third round when visitors Lutterworth Town won 3-1 at allpay.park on Saturday to follow on from the FA Cup defeat they imposed on Westfields earlier in the season.  Lutterworth were big, strong, physical and made their presence felt and although they went 1-0 behind in the 42nd minute they bounced back to equalise with a hotly-disputed goal just before the break and in the second half secured their passage into the fourth round with a penalty and then another crisp goal to secure an away win. 

Westfields opened smartly as the game switched from end-to-end in a fast attacking cup tie.  Westfields took the lead in the 42nd minute when a number of shots were saved on the line and rebounded into a crowded penalty area where Matt Reeve fired home to give Westfields a 1-0 lead. However, the lead was short-lived and only lasted 2 minutes when Lutterworth hit back and Zak Adams found himself free on the right-hand flank and with Westfields appealing for off-side he went through unchallenged to fire low past Ian Havard in the Westfields goal. 

After the break Lutterworth came out with all guns blazing and took the lead in the 47th minute when again danger-man Zak Adams cut in and fired low past Havard. Westfields then came back at the visitors and Warren Butlin in the Lutterworth goal twice produced full-length saves to keep out shots from Aidan Thomas and Craig Jones before Westfields found themselves 3-1 down when Ryan Green was penalised for bringing down the visitors’ striker and from the penalty kick Marshall Keenan put Lutterworth into a 3-1 lead. 

Lutterworth’s big strong defence were handling Aidan Thomas and Richard Greaves well and little was seen of the Westfields attack as the big visiting defence withstood any pressure that Westfields put forward. Westfields threw everything at the visitors in the final 10 minutes to try and get back into the game but the visitors stood strong to go through to the 4th round and eliminate Westfields from their 2nd cup competition of the season, having beaten Westfields 3-2 at allpay.park in the FA Cup in August. 

On Tuesday night Westfields are at home to Malvern Town Reserves in the HFA County Senior Challenge Cup and next Saturday Westfields go to Ardley in the Hellenic League Premier Division.

Malvern Town 3 Atherstone Town 3

Malvern Town played out an entertaining 3-3 draw with Atherstone Town in the Buildbase FA Vase third round in front of a large crowd at the HDANYWHERE Community Stadium.

“The result was tough to take seeing as we conceded two late goals,” admitted co-manager, Dene Whittal-Williams. “That said, over the 120 minutes, a draw was a fair. Both teams were very threatening and now we have an opportunity to go again on Wednesday in the replay. Having gone 3-1 up, it is frustrating that we didn’t go on to get the win, especially when on occasions our lads’ honesty was not rewarded."

“There was a foul on Milky when one-on-one with the ‘keeper and a trip on Ethan inside the area that could have influenced the game hugely but instead of going to ground, they tried their best to get a decent attempt on goal. That said, Atherstone’s attacking play was very good as we knew it would be and therefore I am very proud of the performance and the effort that the lads put in. We defended well in parts and we will grow from the experience. "

“On the whole we learned a lot from the game and we will use this in the replay. It was great to have such a great crowd watching the game yet again; it is turning into a real community here at the club with the familiar faces increasing all of the time. Hopefully we will see the same faces with us at Atherstone to cheer us on into the next round.”

Malvern Town: Whitcombe, Smith (Hayes 88), Wickett, A. Saunston, J. Sauntson, Harris (Craven 46), Loader, Reynolds, Turner, Evans (Moran 90), Clark. Subs not used: Fusco, Griffiths, Hooper.

uhlsport football kituhlsport Hellenic League Division One East

Risborough Rangers 3 AFC Aldermaston 0 

Risborough Rangers needed to bounce back following their disappointing cup defeat at Penn & Tylers Green, and they did it with style against a side fresh from victory over Penn in the week. Two goals from midfielder Gary Rymer and one from leading scorer Brian Haule saw Rangers to their tenth league win and keeps them unbeaten in the division. The game started with Rangers in determined mood and Aldermaston's keeper was soon in action with two brilliant stops in quick succession at point blank range from Brian Haule and Kyle Faulkner. Shortly after Faulkner again had his close range shot blocked. The lively Sam Pekun gave the Aldermaston left back a difficult time with his runs and he was next with a chance, shooting straight at the keeper. It was Pekun again who's run and cross could find no takers as it flashed across the face of goal. 19 minutes in and the visitors registered their first shot, which was easily dealt with by Jack Brooker. Pekun again beat his man and crossed for Haule, who's header was easily gathered by the visiting keeper before, on the half hour mark Pekun picked out Faulkner on the edge of the box with the latter firing over. Minutes later they combined again with Pekun's cross just eluding Haule. Skipper Joel Read was next when he got on the end of a corner but the chance was high and wide. Aldermaston countered with a rare break and a shot from distance flew well wide. Just when the Rangers fans started to wonder if this was going to be a replay of the Penn & Tylers' game, they finally got the breakthrough, and it was well worth the wait. On the stroke of forty minutes Ben Hammond latched onto the ball in the middle of the park, his pass found Brian Haule . Haule in turn played a clever reverse pass to Pekun who raced to the by-line before cutting the ball back to the oncoming Gary Rymer. The midfielder did the rest, slamming the ball home from 12 yards. It was a good finish to a good move and no more than the home side deserved. As half time approached the impressive Hammond beat the wall with a free kick but the keeper was well placed to save. 

risborough v aldermaston @AylesNewsThe second half began with Rangers continuing to impress with the midfield three of Rymer, Hammond and Davis Haule in excellent form. Four minutes in and Brian Haule should score off Bertie Squire-Adams' cross but somehow headed over. Soon after the same player had his turn and shot blocked, before being scrambled away. New signing Josh Fox combined with Pekun who's cross-shot was straight at the keeper. Minutes later Pekun again tormented his full back before crossing to Faulkner who did everything right with his downward header, only to see the keeper dive full length to save brilliantly at the foot of the post. Soon after and Aldermaston looked to have got back in the game when they had the ball in the back of the Rangers net, but the lines-man's flag was aloft for offside. It was a warning to Rangers however, but with Hammond dictating play and driving the team on it looked inevitable that the home side would get another. They so nearly got their second in the 60th minute when Davis Haule picked out brother Brian and with the goal gaping, but the normally reliable striker headed wide! Two minutes later and they did get their second when Brian Haule scored the goal he should have scored moments earlier. Squire Adams crossed from the right and the tall striker rose to meet it at the far post to head powerfully home. Soon after, Pekun's cross was plucked from under the crossbar before a 15 minute period saw few chances for either side as Rangers looked to kill off the game. Aldermaston tried to rally but with Rangers centre backs Read and Alex Sethi in no mood to be benevolent, Brooker was rarely troubled. With eight minutes remaining Rymer slipped a great pass through to Brian Haule who's shot clipped the foot of the post. Two minutes later and it was three when Hammond's pass picked out Rymer. Rymer cleverly beat his man and shot as the keeper raced from his line. The Aldermaston custodian got his hand to the ball but couldn't prevent it from looping home to give Rymer his second of the game. In the 45th minute a melee of players tussled in the Rangers area with one Aldermaston player receiving a red card. It was a sad end to the game, although there was still time for Rymer to get his hat-trick late in injury time , his close range shot being well saved. 

A very professional win for Rangers as they maintain their top spot. Manager Mark Eaton will be pleased with the way the team set about their business today and with another clean sheet. With the signing of Fox, Josh Urquart to come back from injury and Ollie Jones getting minutes with the ressies, the managers biggest problem will be team selection! Nice problem to have though. 

Rangers Man of the Match: Gary Rymer. A really difficult one today with Ben Hammond having a great game and setting the tempo for others to follow. Sam Pekun was also in fine form, giving his marker a nightmarish afternoon. But it was Rymer that clinched it with his two well taken goals and a performance so full of energy that we could probably run the floodlights off him next time they pack up!! 

Marlow United 2 Milton United 4 

Indiscipline proved the undoing of Marlow as they conceded three second half goals in a frantic game at the Alfred Davis 

There was no hint of United's later woes as they began the game looking to extend their two point lead over in form Milton. In fact they should have gone ahead within a minutes with Chris Hurst played in on goal only to pull his shot wide of the post from six yards.  Milton hit back, Felix Prudden blocking a goal bound effort two minutes later as both teams looked to take the initiative. 

The home team were certainly creating the better chances , Thomas firing wide from the edge of the area, Weller picking out Hurst only for keeper Griffith to block his effort, the home team having a decent shout for a penalty turned down as they looked to open the scoring. Hurst fired wide yet again when clean through before Woodward blocked a shot at the other end as Milton retaliated. Woodward was warned for a dangerous lunge on Milton's Nadin, a foretaste of things to come. Marlow continued to carve out openings, Hardie running into the area only to find Griffith with his shot, Rake then advancing on goal to be thwarted by the advancing Griffith yet again before the overworked keeper excelled himself with a wonderful one handed save from a point blank range header by Mckie from a Thomas corner, pushing the ball over the bar. He could do nothing about the resultant corner with James Tripp heading firmly over the line after the ball was partially cleared with the hosts deservedly taking the lead. 

That lead lasted little more than a minute though as the elusive Nadin picked up the ball on the right of Marlow's area and as he attempted to burst between two defenders the referee awarded a free kick with Marlow appealing for simulation. The free kick by Bloomfield was directed into the goal by the unmarked Louis Joyce to level the scores. 
Milton lost a player to the sin bin soon after and try as they might Marlow were unable to take advantage of the temporary one man advantage despite efforts from Thomas and Prudden. Perhaps the defining moments arrived with the half coming to a close with Woodward showing his frustration in dealing with Nadin, firstly diving in recklessly and receiving a yellow card then compounding his felony by clattering into the same player two minutes later! 

The second yellow was a formality. Manager Pritchard moved Thomas back to full back as Marlow attacked at the beginning of the second period, Hurst gaining an early corner ,the ball being cleared off the line from the kick before Weller finished a run on goal by shooting narrowly wide. More indiscipline ended with centre half Al Mckie who had been outstanding being given a ten minute sin bin for disputing a throw in on 51 minutes reducing the home to nine men. 

Milton took full advantage during those minutes, with Marlow in disarray they struck twice Jake Steel firing into an unguarded goal on 59 minutes as the ball was crossed from the Marlow left keeper Partridge caught in no mans land as he rushed from goal. Marlow bought on Bushay for Rake as they added some pace to the front line but before he had time to touch the ball and with the ten minutes almost up Milton added the third Keiron Strange scoring from a corner. Mckie rejoined the fray and Marlow went about repairing their self inflicted wounds, Bushay's cross being handled on 63 minutes, Hurst stepping up to fire home the penalty as they reduced the arrears. Milford had other ideas, forcing an excellent save from Partridge with an overhead kick from a corner before the home team should have really should have equalised on 70 minutes, Tripp heading a corner kick over the bar with the goal at his mercy. 

Milton retaliated and in truth they looked capable of increasing their lead as Marlow began to look leg weary. Lucas and Bull replaced Prudden and Davis as they added fresh legs, reverting to a back three in the process. With ten minutes left a further glimmer of light appeared for the hosts as Milton lost a player with a second yellow card but the visitors managed the final minutes well eventually catching Marlow on the break on 87 minutes Taylor Janes adding the fourth goal to settle what had been an incident filled game. 

Defeat see's Marlow dropping two places in the league and the team really need to find some consistency if they harbour ambitions of promotion to the new step five league next season.  A visit to inform Holyport in the Reading Senior Cup awaits this Tuesday, ko 7.45, a Madejski Stadium final the reward for the eventual finalists. 

Marlow United: Partridge, Davis, Mckie, Tripp, Woodward, Prudden, Hasrdie, Thomas, Weller, Hurst, Rake Subs. Bushay, Lucas, Bull. 

Wokingham & Emmbrook 2 Holyport 3 (Arthur Strand Independent Report)

Sumas were at home to Holyport last Saturday and the game provided potential for a close finish. Starting briskly, Sumas approached Holyport's area. and Liam Eagle strived to open the scoring early but his header went just over the cross bar. Sumas took a free kick as they took the ball upfield then a foul gave Holyport a free kick and Lost possession which gave Sumas a chance as Jake White took aim although he missed the intended target A long ball from the Holyport defence went easily to Sean Woodward as the ball subsequently went upfield from Woodward's clearance kick. Jake White chased the loose ball but could not make anything out of it. A left wing move produced a corner for the visitors then Sumas took a free kick after which Elliott Rushforth took a shot but that was blocked. Another free kick to Sumas which Holyport took the chance to make an approach forcing an urgent return be defenders as Woodward was a bit lucky to collect the ball and clear the lines. From a corner kick the ball flew across from wing to wing and a second corner ensued, The next attempt saw the ball bundled in but a foul disallowed the goal. After Holyport's free kick, Fabian Driffell was attending to the ball, slipped and quickly bounced up and managed to supply a cross into the Sumasbox but to no avail. Callum Eagle pushed the ball to Joe Cummuskey and as the ball veered its way towards goal, Billy Davis stuck his leg out and blocked the shot. Hand ball gave another free kick and then Jake White cracked in the ball to open the score sheet after 35 minutes. Sumas had to see Holyport passing well across the field and the effort clearing the crossbar much to Woodward's relief but a commendable passage of play nevertheless. Striker White was unsuccessful when he crossed open space in Holyport's defence and missed. His next header also missed and returning again, Sumas let Davis off with a direct ball for him to save. Into additional time and Holyport were causing problems for the Sumas defence to contend with although Fabien Driffell slammed the ball into Sumas net from close range levelling the score.

The break having passed, Sumas pushed up early and from a corner kick, a header went over the bar but the next corner was headed clear. Holyport were really locked into their own area as a corner floated in and the ball was hammered at goal, hitting the crossbar, rebounding to a Wokingham man whose shot hit the post and eventually after that pressure Holyport escaped.. Handball, free kick and the ball ended with keeper, Woodward. The next Holyport attempt went so high that it went over the high safety net onto railway land! There was an excellent passing passage of play started by Elliott back to O'Connell onto White and then Luke Scope but the ball could not find the net. Holyport cleared. In the 63rd minute, Holyport put Fabien Driffell in sight of goal and to chase the ball, then Andy Forisky scoring a second. An effect was Kylo Atkinson came on as a Sumas' substitute and Mark O'Connell made way for Chris Byrne. Holyport made a breakaway which proved fruitless but Fabien Driffell scored a third a few minutes after the second. As Holyport had switched on Sumas seemed to have run out of steam, Sean Woodward was involved more often and made a save conceding a corner in the process. As full-time loomed, Sumas switched back on and a long free kick put Sumas' forwards in the box and the ball was just above head height with keeper, Davis, trying to claw back the ball with his fingertips as it crossed the line in the 87th minute, courtesy of skipper, Liam Eagle. This closed up the gap but the gap remained until the end of the match. Next week, on Tuesday evening, Sumas visit Milton Utd. and on Saturday, next they are at home to Abingdon Town in the League.

Wokingham & Emmbrook: White. . Eagle L Wokingham & Emmbrook: Woodward,[GK], Carter, O'Connell, Cummuskey, L. Eagle,[c], C.Eagle, Edwards, N. Bateman, Scope, White, Rushforth. Substitutes: Atkinson, W. Day, Best, Byrne, Winship.

Two West

Faringdon Town 4 Newent Town Reserves 1 

Following last weekends one goal defeat, Town were back at Tucker Park welcoming Newent Town Reserves who made the long journey from The Forest of Dean. Town were hoping for an immediate bounce back and the visitors were hoping to push on into the top four of Division Two West. 

The opening stages of the game saw Twon take control of the match but failed to create any clear cut chances. The first shot on goal came from the visitors in the 13th minute, but this was dealt with easily by Connor Guinness-Smith in the Town goal. Town were dealt a blow after 25 minutes when skipper Josh Forth had to leave the game following a hamstring injury, but replaced by Will Bazen, who gained more valuable minutes after his long term injury. Soon after though, it was 1-0 Town as Christian Wills pounced on a misplaced back pass, before placing the ball past the advancing keeper. Whilst Town were comfortable with the ball, the visitors always looked dangerous on the counter-attack and Guinness-Smith had to be alert on a couple of occasions. Adam Rudman had two efforts at goal for Town from distance, but both failed to test the keeper. With the half coming to a close, Newent felt they should have had a penalty when their full-back was barged to the floor. However, in the next attack the referee did give them a spot kick, when the ball popped up to strike Dinesh Gurung's hand and the resulting penalty was put away for an undeserved equaliser. 

The second half started with Newent in the ascendancy, attacking the Playground End. They had three decent efforts at goal within the opening five minutes of the half, but the Town goal was never troubled. On the hour and Town made a double substitution with Robbie Harrington & Ryan Bradbury replacing Wills and Gurung and this changed the course of the game. Within two minutes, Town were back in the lead as Jack Green played a great ball inside to the on-rushing Matty Pill whose first touch took him past the defender, before crossing to Adam Sly at the back post, who took a touch, before placing the ball home. On 73 minutes, the referee adjudged that Harrington needed to spend time in the sinbin, causing Town to play with ten men for ten minutes. Newent pushed their extra player up top and resorted in pumping the ball long, which Town were dealing with. But on 78 minutes the visitors wasted an opportunity to equalise as they worked an opening at the far post, which the number 10 ballooned over the goal. Still down to ten men, Town quickly broke away and Ryan Bradbury hit a rasping effort, which took a slight deflection to send the ball over the keeper and into the goal for 3-1 after 81 minutes. Moments later and Guinness-Smith saved well with his feet to keep Newent at bay and with the game coming to a close, Green grabbed a fourth for Town as he broke away, before rifling home, giving the keeper no chance and Town taking the three points. 

A deserved victory for Town, which keeps them within touching distance of the top five sides above them. With Shrivenham Development in County Cup action next Saturday, it looks to be a blank weekend for the lads. 

Faringdon Town: C Guinness-Smith, D Gurung (sub R Bradbury 61), A Lynham, A Rudman, A Goodchild, L Davenport, J Green, J Forth(c) (sub W Bazen 25), C Wills (sub R Harrington 61), M Pill, A Sly - Subs Not Used: K Muhid, A Capper