uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

emirates fa cupPreliminary Round - 24 August

Shrivenham 0 Chalfont St Peter 2 

Shrivenham began a six game homestand with defeat as their Emirates FA Cup journey came to an end against their Bet Victor Southern League opposition. 

Despite a bright opening period – which saw Nick Stanley and Jamie Prictor denied in quick succession on the second minute by an in-form Michael Anguzum and the straight dismissal of Jordan Payne four minutes later when he prevented Stanley from breaking through on goal, the visitors’ higher skill levels ultimately paid dividends in the second half.

Following the dismissal, Stanley saw another chance go begging as Anguzum produced another class save from his effort before he squandered his fourth chance – poking a shot just wide with 13-minutes gone. It was almost as if the Footballing Gods were smiling on our visitors on 25-minutes when Stanley was sent to the ground for a penalty shout – but the referee waved protests away and on 36-minutes when he finally had the ball in the back of the net, the goal was ruled off-side much to the disappointment of the home fans and the interval arrived with a good battle and Shrivvy more than holding their own. 

A big half was needed by both sides in the second period – and that where the visitors superior level paid off. Despite being a man down, they began on the offensive – calling Dan Lawrence in to action early doors and after a great save with his leg, there was little he could do with the visitors second foray on goal just a minute later, as a slow long throw evaded everyone except Sodike Thompson who netted from close in with 48 minutes on the clock. 

With the ship rocked, the visitors went for the jugular and a deflection from a 50-50 ball involving Sean Giordmaina five minutes later, flew over Lawrence and being so close to the goal line, there was nothing Liam Edmondson could do to hook the ball away and it nestled in to the back of the net for number 2. 

Shrivvy managed to compose themselves soon after and began to dig deep. Ollie Rejek came on for Josh Morse who suffered a cut to his head on 65-minutes, before Luke Cordery replaced Scott Chilcott three minutes later as the home side looked to strengthened their attack and that decision almost paid dividends when Prictor was brought down inside the box and a penalty was awarded on 73-minutes, however a rare miss from the sport by Nathan Blackford summed up Shrivenham’s lack of luck on the day and the score remained the same. 

Alex Stanley replaced brother Nick with 10-minutes of normal time remaining, and with five minutes of injury time added on, Rejek saw a chance denied by a good save from Anguzum and as the referee blew for time, Shrivvy entered the changing rooms feeling frustrated at what might have been – but they should also feel contented with their performance against their decent and skilful Isthmian opposition. 

Shrivenham: Dan Lawrence, Scott Chilcott (Luke Cordery, Matt Horsell, Sam Ockwell ©, Liam Edmondson, Jamie Prictor, Nathan Blackford, Nick Stanley (Alex Stanley), Josh Morse (Ollie Rejek), Antonio Gerrish & Tom Ballard. Sub: Mike Alexander (GK)

Chalfont St Peter:  Michael Anguzum, Ricky Brennan, Luke Elliott, Danny Wickenden (Callum Doyle), Jordan Payne (SO), Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway, Sodike Thompson, Andre Odetola, David Pitt (Sean Giordmaina), Luke Jones & Kahlil Francis (Zayd Ait-Fahim). Sub: Luke Massingham, Ben Gray, Luke Illsley & Harry Bailey. 

uhlsport football kituhlsport Hellenic League Division One East

Penn & Tylers Green 1 Marlow United 2 (away view)

Leading goal scorer Chris Hurst came back to haunt his old club with two sharply taken goals sealing the three points for Marlow in the process. Marlow travelled to the excellent Holloways Park on a baking hot day in this eagerly awaited local derby and they showed their intentions early on with Bushay and Hurst looking dangerous. 

The hosts probed the United defence down the flanks as the game progressed but it was Hurst who again threatened only to be flagged offside on fifteen minutes. 
Marlow keeper Alex Partridge pulled off an excellent save from a Hamid cross shot as Penn responded but back came United with Hurst seeing his shot blocked after a quick break.  Partridge was diving to his right collecting a goal bound effort as the game swung back and forth. 

It was Marlow though who were gradually gaining the upper hand and chances arrived with Alfie Lucas firing over followed by full back Josh Waldron twice missing the target when well placed.  It was Al Mckie’s turn next to spurn an opportunity, missing the target from a Thomas corner.  Eventually the pressure had to bring it’s reward and sure enough on the half hour a long clearance from Waldron put Bushay away and his cross was met by Hurst to crash the ball past Britnell in the Penn goal.  The same player headed wide from a Lucas cross soon after then firing wide from a Mckie through ball as Hurst revelled in tormenting his former club.  Half time arrived with United a goal to the good when it could well have been more. 

Penn soon levelled the score though as within a minute a ball down the United right was collected by Hamid, his low cross evading everyone in the area with the onrushing Joe Palmer guiding the ball into the net for the equaliser. 
United were indebted to Partridge as he saved at the feet of Penn’s Hancock as he bore down on goal. the hosts threatening to take the lead.  Marlow remained composed though as they once again gained control of proceedings. 
Hurst missed a sitter at the far post, unable to guide a Thomas cross over the line from close range and Bushay showing his marker a clean pair of heels down the right but disappointing with a poor cross. 

With the heat taking its toll United replaced Lucas and Davis with Bull and Woodbridge, the former immediately setting about the Penn defence with his strong runs down the left. It was Bull who initiated the move for the winning goal on 75 minutes, picking out Thomas who found Bushay on the right, he surged into the area his low cross come shot being met by Hurst who turned the ball over the line. Deservedly ahead United piled on the pressure Penning their hosts, no pun intended, on the back foot, Hurst looking to have gained a penalty as he was tripped running through, the assistant referee muting the celebrations with his off side decision. Etienne replaced an injured Waldron before the busy Harman saw his 25 yard effort saved by a diving Britnell, Etienne firing wide from the corner. 

With the referee adding on 6 minutes of added time Bull fired into the side netting when a cross was probably a better option as Marlow finishing the stronger collected the three points moving into the top six of the table in the process. 
They now have a ten day break before entertaining undefeated Risborough Rangers at home on Tuesday 3rd September .

Marlow: A Partridge, M Woodward, J Waldron, J Hardie, A Mckie, A Davis, A Lucas, Q Thomas, C Hurst, L Bushay, A Harman. Subs. J Woodbridge, JC Etienne, C Bull. 

Division One West

Stonehouse Town 1 Hereford Lads Club 4 (away view)

stonehouse v hereford lads 24 august 2019Lads Club got a deserved victory against Stonehouse, but made hard work of it. Stonehouse had the first shot at goal which their skipper Kibble put high and wide inside the first minute, there were very few goalscoring opportunities for both sides until a long throw by Fennessy aimed at Britton in the 18 yard box missed him and winger Hancock's was alive to be able to head a flick on to which centre half Cuthbertson rifled in a volley into the far corner of the net. 

Both teams were guilty of giving away possession to easily on a lovely pitch.  The only other real chance in the first period for the hosts was when an angled shot by winger Gale was saved well at the front post by Bell in the Lads Club goal.  Whilst at the other end Hockey had a chance from a tight angle only for Pedrick in the Stonehouse goal to make a very good save. Lads Club looked livelier of the two teams going forward but like Stonehouse did not muster anymore real goalscoring opportunities in the first half. 

An early chance in the second half for Dawson as he hit a 20 yard shot which looked like it was saved by the Stonehouse defender Thwaite inside the box with his hands but the ref said he didn't see it. The Stonehouse defenders were putting their bodies on the line with two more blocks, firstly Humphries on a Hockey shot which went for a corner and then Keveren blocking a Hancock's shot. Hockey got his head onto the ball 12 yards out but could only head the ball over the bar. A long ball by Newbury put Hockey through but the ball bounced and held up on the dry pitch but with Britton following up beat his man but off balance hit his shot over the bar from 10 yards out. A cross in the box was met by the head of Britton but his tame effort was easily save by Pedrick. Winger Earle put Williams through only for Bell to deny him. Stonehouse levelled the score when a throw in was thrown to Humphries who turned inside and passed to Kibble who placed his shot into the net from outside the box. 

There was confusion then when Britton was given offside by the linesman after putting the ball in the net, firstly sub Lear's shot was saved and the ball came to another sub Cowley-Hair who's shot was just going wide was touched in by Britton, once the linesman had given offside the ref spoke to him as there was a player on the line and then it looked like the ref gave the goal. the Stonehouse players then surrounded him and the ref then explained it was offside which in the end was the correct decision. Earle thought he had scored when put through but it was an easy decision for the linesman to give him offside. Cuthbertson had a couple of headers go wide of the post from free kicks. Martin was put through and with Wildig sticking his leg out the ball looked goal bound only for Bell to make it back to the goal line and flick the ball away with his hand, another goal line clearance this time by Fennessy helped save Bell's blushes as he could only get one hand onto a deep cross. 

Then what changed the game was the introduction of the sin bin as sub Cowley-hair was dismissed for 10 minutes.  This seemed to spur the Lads on and within minutes Lear latched onto a free-kick from Cuthbertson after a mistake between the keeper and centre half ended with him finishing at the front post. Stonehouse then had their skipper Kibble sin binned and this put the Lads even more on the front foot and with minutes left a clearance by Pedrick fell to Newbury who with the outside of his foot hit a forty yard shot which smashed the crossbar, Humphries managed to clear but only as far as Dawson who passed to Britton who shot from a tight angle which took a deflection off Keveren and looped into the net.  In the last minute the returning Cowley-Hair was put through by Lear and with only the keeper to beat placed the ball into the top corner with a great finish.