uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

18 January 2020

Buildbase FA Vase 4th Round Replay

Binfield 3 Deal Town 3 (aet Deal progress on penalties) Report By Arthur Strand

The replay, after the 1 - 1 draw at Deal, was completed last Saturday at Stubbs Lane but Binfield will not be going to Consett now since the second draw went on to the penalty shoot-out where the situation was also even but went through both teams and the outcome relied more on missed penalties than those scored with sudden death spot kicks.. Both keepers slotted their spot kicks.

Deal Town is in the Southern Counties East League Premier Division. [Step 5] and currently in mid table. The forward start took them into Binfield territory and the latter found defenders with work cut out and the next attempt to worry the Binfield defenders was when a long ball was sent into the penalty area harmlessly landing for Chris Grace, Binfield’s keeper, to clear. On the halfway line, Deal won back the ball and it was pumped up into Grace’s penalty area and nodded back to him. The Moles were able to attack and reached the danger zone for the Hoops who were on the counter, gaining a corner kick which curled onto the top of the net watched carefully by Grace. As Deal lost the long ball to the Moles, the latter reached the halfway line but Deal turned round the direction of play which reversed once more with the ball reaching Asa Povey who managed to get the ball in the net in the 7th minute. The Moles had taken an early lead but their work was cut out, firstly in defence, then trying to dominate in mid-field in order to mount wing type attacks as well as trying to thread the ball through the middle. No goals were scored in the next twenty minutes but Liam Gavin sent in the ball which deflected off a Deal defender for a corner. Gavin sent in another free kick which reached a Binfield player catching his upper limb and Deal had a free kick taken by Jack Penny. His next free kick went to Chris Grace. As the Moles lost the ball to Deal keeper, James Tonkin, Deal took advantage of a breakaway but lost out near the halfway line. George Short had already made his presence felt but the Hoops cleared the ball from danger. Then a quick return forced another urgent clearance. Asa Povey showed his sprinting capabilities as he chased down the ball to no avail then Liam Gavin made an excellent tackle. The Hoops switched on and Jack Paxman went on a run with the ball across the field from one flank to the other but was fouled before he reached it. The free kick became a corner kick and was high enough for Grace to reach it above the others in the area. In the 34th minute, Ben Chapman with the ball bobbling about right in front of Moles’ goal, was just a few yards behind the cluster of players had the time, space and great opportunity to shoot in the corridor open to him and planted the ball low down to the near post equalising before the break. Both teams missed shots as half-time arrived.

After half-time a few minutes passed until George Short in the 52nd minute put the Moles ahead 2 -1 and Deal replaced Jack Penny with Steve O’Brien, then Sean Moore was fouled and the free kick did not find any where significant. Povey latched on to the ball and sprinted but when a shot arrived Tonkin finger-tipped the ball out for a corner to the Moles and the next incoming aerial ball was punched clear by Tonkin. Then Povey took a shot and the ball deflected off the Deal cross bar. Things were warming up with 90 minutes not far ahead. Binfield had been forced back and three shots at Binfield’s goal came in quick succession, the last of which sailed safely over the crossbar. At the other end Liam Gavin’s shot was saved by Tonkin who then thwarted another attempt by Povey. The equaliser came in the 72nd minute scored by Ben Chapman. After restart, Paxman sent the ball over the crossbar. Substitution for the Moles when Jemel Johnson replaced Asa Povey and as 90 minutes were up Binfield did everything but score.

Full time 2 – 2. ExtraTime.
Connor Coyne made way for Joe Reeves as Hoops made a substitution at the start of Extra time. Binfield were pressing hard and Sean Moore broke through but Tonkin was there to clear the ball. Pressure that Binfield were piling on the Deal defence increased and another shot sailed over the Hoops’ bar. Jemel Johnson was trying very hard to use his fresh legs but Tonkin was steady in goal. Sean Moore made way for Josh Howell, who took the Captain’s Arm Band. Ben Chapman broke through the Moles’ defence and Grace received the ball with the last play of the first half of Extra time.

Macauley Murray won the ball and broke through the Binfield defenders but his shot merely reached Chris Grace. Luke Biggington replaced Murray for Deal and Binfield tried to mount an attack but Deal won the ball and countered. The good move that followed saw Paxman net the ball but then about 4 minutes later Liam Gavin of Binfield scored the equaliser in the 114th minute. Harry Alexander came on for Charlie Walsh and the game went on to a penalty shoot-out.

Binfield Penalties: Howell X Short √ McClurg √ Thomson-Wheeler √ Johnson X Gavin √
Gallimore √ Chamberlain X Grace (GK) √ Shaw X Helmore X

Deal Penalties : - O’Brien √ Paxman X Munday X Smith √ Chapman √ Alexander √ Reeves √ Maughan X Hark √ Biggington X Tonkin √

Binfield Team : Grace (GK),, Thomson-Wheeler, Shaw, Chamberlain, Gavin,Galliemore, Povey, McClurg, Moore,(c), Short. Helmore,Substitutes: .Kamara, Veal, Valentin, Howell, Johnson, Williams.

Attendance: 348.

uhlsport football kituhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division

Brimscombe & Thrupp 1 Reading City 1
The visit of Reading City to the Meadow brought Brimscombe & Thrupp a hard earned point.
It was a very encouraging start for the Lilywhites, registering two shots before the ten minute mark albeit off target. The visitors tried their luck soon after David Davies headed over. Sam Prior was forced into an early change when Edd Major went down holding his hamstring, Ollie Pitt took the field in his place. City were soon awarded a free kick in a dangerous area but couldn’t take advantage with McKoy Palmer shooting well over the bar. Both teams had half chances throughout with the clock ticking down towards half time. Jack Smith soon slotted it home after James Campbell lofted the throw into the box.

The Visitors came out firing and Palmer soon found himself with another chance, but he shot it wide. Campbell soon found the ball coming towards him at the edge of the area but he too fired wide with a volley. City soon got their reward and it was third time lucky for Palmer who tapped in the cross past Ash Gale. Brimmy looked to retake the lead and had two great chances in quick succession, Campbell hit his shot over before Johan Flo forced the City ‘keeper into a superb save to his right. Karl Nash came on in the dying moments but the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Flackwell Heath 3 Westfields 6 (away view)

Westfields travelled to Flackwell Heath on Saturday for the first time in their history and found the High Wycombe club a formidable opponent. In an exciting end-to-end game both sides created chances for a 9 goal thriller.

Westfields started brightly and took the lead early on when Dan Stoneman fired low past the home keeper to give Westfields an early lead and then Westfields increased their lead half-way through the first half when Ben Hayes fired home a tremendous volley at the far post.

However, the home side got into their stride and Dean Morgan pulled a goal back for Flackwell Heath before Flackwell Heath equalised in the 42nd minute when Khalid Simmo turned smartly on the edge of the box to fire high past Ian Havard to put the scores level at 2-2. However, right on the stroke of half time Westfields came back to snatch the lead again when from a free-kick by Billy Murphy the ball bounced nicely for Cameron Peters who hit the shot high into the roof of the net to give Westfields a 3-2 interval lead.

Straight after the break the home side were level again when Adam Thomas scored a spectacular goal to make the scores 3 apiece and then both sides created chances without scoring further goals until the substitutions were made when Westfields brought on Richard Greaves and Aidan Thomas and their fresh legs paid off immediately when Greaves got on the end of a Dan Stoneman cross to bundle the ball over the line to put Westfields 4-3 ahead in the 80th minute.

Westfields then took up the initiative and Dan Stoneman made it 5-3 with another fine solo effort before Westfields capped a tremendous late rally when King Baidoo scored a fine solo goal to cap the Man of the Match performance with the 6th Westfields goal when he used his speed to get past the home defenders and fire low into the corner of the net to give Westfields an emphatic 6-3 victory.

Westfields now face 3 home games at allpay.park when on Tuesday night they entertain Bishops Cleeve, next Saturday they entertain Shrivenham and then in midweek they go away to Tuffley Rovers on Tuesday 28th January before they return to allpay.park on Saturday 1st February to play Easington Sports.

One East

Risborough Rangers 3 Marlow United  0

Risborough Rangers march on with another victory, beating Marlow United three goals to nil on Saturday courtesy of a brace from top scorer Brian Haule and one from Kyle Faulkner. Manager Mark Eaton shuffled his pack again, making several changes from the previous game, a four-two victory at Holyport. Such is the strength of Eaton's squad, the changes had little affect on this latest win in Boro's relentless quest for the title. It would seem that the managers biggest problem is keeping all of his squad members happy whilst ensuring that everyone gets game time; as they say in football 'it's a nice problem to have'. Earlier in the season Rangers travelled to Marlow United and had to be content with draw in a very tight and competitive game. This Marlow side looked a shadow of the side that Rangers faced in that fixture and Rangers' keeper Jack Brooker had one of his easiest afternoons to date this season. 

In the opening minutes Marlow United could have taken an early lead following a break down the Rangers' right. Brooker saved and his parry was scrambled clear after several attempts. It was Marlow's only real chance of the game. Seven minutes in and Boro' took the lead when the excellent Ben Hammond whipped a ball into the path of Sam Pekun. Pekun out paced his full back and sent the perfect cross to the far post for Faulkner to score with the simplest of finishes. Faulkner was almost on the score-sheet again when Gary Rymer's clever reverse ball found him in the area where he turned his marker, only to shoot inches wide. On the half hour mark Faulkner was desperately unlucky after his rasping shot from the edge of the box hit the underside of the crossbar before bouncing down onto the goal-line and into the grateful hands of the keeper. Rangers thought they had extended their lead five minutes later after Pekun's volley was parried to Brian Haule who poked the ball home from a yard out, only to see the flag raised for off-side. On the stroke of half time Faulkner shot straight at the keeper from just inside the area and Rangers had to be content to go in for the break with a slender lead. 

Boro' were quickly out of the traps for the second period and improved their lead three minutes in after Brian Haule was clumsily pulled over in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. There could be no arguments from Marlow, only questions as to the foolishness of the challenge. Haule dusted himself off and calmly dispatched the spot kick for his 23rd goal of the season. Rangers were in complete control now, with Davis Haule and Hammond bossing the middle of the park and Rymer busying himself here, there and everywhere. Brian Haule and Faulkner combined well before Haule tried to chip the keeper from an angle; the Marlow custodian brilliantly tipping the ball onto the roof of his net. Soon after Josh Fox sent a great cross in from the left for Brian Haule to rattle the crossbar with a thumping header. Haule was again in the action following some great build up play, this time sending his shot high, wide and not very handsome! Haule turned provider next, setting up Faulkner who's shot followed Haule's previous one into the trees behind the goal. On a rare forage United forced a corner. Brooker gathered the cross and was impeded by a Marlow player who earned a second yellow card followed by his marching orders. Moments later Bertie Squire-Adams, Haule and Morris exchanged passes to set up Faulkner whose shot was easily gathered by United's keeper. With eight minutes remaining Rangers made the game safe when Brian Haule rose to meet Morris' cross and head powerfully home. Morris then took a free kick, clearing the wall but just wide of the target. Josh Urquart tried to get in on the act, heading wide from Marcus Wyllie's cross before Morris linked with Faulkner, again shooting wide. The final chance of the game fell to Wyllie as he broke clear before scuffing his shot into the advancing goalkeepers arms. Seconds later the referee blew time on a very competent performance from the home side sending the 100 plus crowd home happy. 

Rangers Man of the Match: Brian Haule - A perfect centre-forward display from the rangy striker. Held the ball up well, brought others into play, won his headers and worked his socks off. A real hand-full for any defender. Put his penalty away well and scored a great goal as well as hitting the bar and dubiously having a goal ruled out (I'd love to see that on VAR!) for off-side.

Risborough Rangers 3 Marlow United  0 (away view) 

A patchwork Marlow team battled hard but eventually succumbed to the unbeaten league leaders who ran out comfortable winners . Such has been the change of personnel at United that only four of the team that held Rangers to a one all draw back in September took the field for the return encounter with first team coach Adam Dickens starting his first game of the season at centre back and seventeen year old Zayd Ait Fahim making his debut . 

Against the unbeaten league leaders it was always going to be a near impossible task to be the first team to lower their colours and so it proved on the day.  In fairness there was no lack of effort on behalf of the visitors but the truth is they never threatened to pull off a shock with home keeper Brooker barely threatened throughout the ninety minutes. 
Risborough were soon on the offensive with Pekun drawing a free kick from his marker Holland, this after his pace took him past the defender. Marlow responded as they kicked down the slope with lone striker Charlie Bull collecting a Hardie through ball with Sethi in hot pursuit, the latter lunging recklessly with a tackle which Bull rode, perhaps he should gone down, his cross allowing Ait-Fahim to try his luck , the ball being cleared. 

Risborough hit back with Pekun the provider, his pace again stretching the United defence as he cut to the bye line, the misdirected shot looping over Mckie and keeper Cannings to leave Lyle Faulkner the simple task of placing the ball in the net to open the scoring on 7 minutes. The half developed into a pattern with United having their fair share of the play without looking like scoring, the defence looking to contain the lively Rangers front line who threatened to extend the lead on a number of occasions with Faulkner and Brian Haule looking particularly dangerous , the former hitting the underside of the bar with the latter having a goal ruled out for offside after Cannings parried a Pekun effort. 
Chis Hurst found himself in space as United attacked down the right but with Bull and Ait Fahim both unmarked he chose to shoot with Brooker comfortably gathering the shot, United gaining their first corner of the half soon after. 
Half time arrived with the visitors having acquitted themselves well under the circumstances but knowing the hardest bit was to come as they prepared to defend the slope, Marlow replacing the injured Tripp with Cuva at full back for the second period. 

The first few minutes would be critical and wouldn’t you know it United gifted Rangers the second goal after just two minutes. A mix up between Mckie and Cannings allowed Brian Haule to gather a loose ball that he had no right to inside the six yard box, Mckie then dragging the forward back in full view of the referee. Haule gratefully placed the resultant spot kick past Cannings for his 23rd of the season, leaving United a mountain to climb, a summit that they never looked like reaching.  James Hardie saw yellow after a tackle by Dickens, was it a case of mistaken identity or did he speak out of turn, either way the caution would be significant. 

Marlow continued to battle and contest every ball but were grateful to Cannings for tipping over a Haule effort, the same player then placing a header against the bar with the keeper beaten. Risborough’s Davis Haule picked up a caution for a late tackle on Alfie Lucas, the latter being replaced by Danny Blatchford. Hardie was then shown a second yellow for obstructing Brooker as he attempted to throw the ball following a United free kick, and off he went leaving Marlow with ten men and fifteen minutes to play.

Five minutes later and two goals became three with Haule netting number 24 as he headed home a cross from the right.  Ollie Flint was given ten minutes in the sin bin for dissent and thus it became nine verses eleven! 
The nine proved an obstinate bunch as they defied Rangers , Flint returning for the added on time, the score remaining unchanged. 

It’s difficult to see anyone stopping this Risborough team from claiming the title with the abundance of forward options they possess and an undefeated league season is within their capabilities. United must regroup and with a number of new signings imminent we can hopefully look forward to an upturn of fortunes. 

Marlow United : Cannings, Tripp, Holland, Mckie, Dickens, Lucas, Hardie, O Flint, Hurst, Bull, Ait-Fahim Subs. Cuva, Blatchford 

One West

Malvern Town 8 Tytherington Rocks 0

Another excellent crowd of 243 saw Malvern Town chalked up another convincing win as Tytherington Rocks were beaten 8-0.

A positive break in the second minute by Matt Turner ended with him finding Dave Reynolds in front of goal and he was denied by a good save. Malvern took the lead on seven minutes when a teasing ball into the danger zone from Louis Loader was turned home by Matt Turner.

It didn’t take long for Turner to notch his second when a free-kick from Sam Hunt picked him out inside the area. As our positive start to proceedings continued, George Hayes went close before Turner was off target in front of goal as the ball found its way through to him.

At the other end, McMahon tried his luck on the quarter-hour mark by Jordan Dibble did well as he got down low to his right to make a save. Neat play as Hayes fed Kyonn Evans whose cross was fired over by Turner whilst moments later Brock’s low drive for the visitors was fielded by Dibble. We hit the woodwork twice in quick succession when Turner headed Evans’ dinked cross against the post and then new arrival, Taylor Cordell was denied from a corner.

On 23 minutes another probing ball into the area is headed straight at the ‘keeper by Turner. Some nice skill and am intelligent ball from Ismail almost opened us up, but Dibble made the save. A through-ball from Hayes caused problems for the ‘keeper as he cleared outside his area under pressure from Clark. As half-time approached, Clark’s low attempt was clawed away by the ‘keeper before Turner fired into the side-netting after latching onto a long ball.

The second half started with Dunning getting into trouble with a clearance as Evans saw his strike cleared off the line. The visitors went close as Sokoni saw his powerful drive well saved by Dibble but just moments later the third goal that we craved arrived when a sublime free-kick from Loader nestled into the back of the net. Our fourth goal arrived just past the hour-mark when Clark linked up well with Reynolds inside the area and he was able to guide the ball home to make it 4-0 and then shortly afterwards good feet from Evans inside the area ended with him stroking home for 5-0.

Evans then made is six before a strike from Loader was handled inside the area and Clark stepped up to coolly slot home from the penalty spot. Pinball inside the home area ended with Walker firing over from the edge of the area. Some slick play saw Reynolds play in Matt Fusco who was inches wide of the target then Harry Wickett was unlucky when his stinging strike appeared to be touched onto the crossbar by Dunning. Right at the death, Clark and Wickett combined to set up Reynolds who made it 8-0 to cap another devastating and delightful display.

Malvern Town : Dibble, Cordell, Hunt, Harris, J. Febery (Wickett 60), Turner (Fusco 65), Hayes (Emblem 83), Loader, Evans, Reynolds, Clark. Subs: J. Sauntson, Skidmore.

Two West

Faringdon Town  2 Highworth Town Reserves  2 

Highworth Town Reserves finally made it to Tucker Park today, after there two previous attempts had fallen foul of the weather. The Worthians arrived with a 100% league record & Town were hoping to spring a surprise in this Division Two fixture. 

The visitors started the brighter and actually had the ball in the back of the net in the opening couple of minutes, however the goal was ruled out for offside. Highworth were in control and on 9 minutes they took the lead, when Town keeper Connor Guinness-Smith failed to hold the ball and on his second attempt he only managed to pat the ball down to the waiting number 9, who scored with ease. Town gradually worked their way into the game and equalised in the 19th minute. Josh Forth won a free kick inside the visitors half, where Ryan Bradbury put a great ball into the penalty area which Highworth didn’t deal with and new signing on his debut, Ash Piotrowski reacted quickest to open his Town account. The level score line was only short lived as Town gifted the away side another goal. This time fullback Adam Rudman failed to win the ball and a decisive pass found the Highworth striker for his second of the game in the 23rd minute. The rest of the half saw Highworth in control, but 
in truth neither keeper was tested. 

Town knew they had to come out brighter and impose themselves more to have a chance of gaining anything from the game. This they did immediately, stopping Highworth from playing and breaking up the play. No real chances were created up to the hour mark and Town introduced Jack Green for the tiring Josh Vaughan. Moments later and Green was fouled by the over zealous fullback for a Town free kick. Matty Pill’s ball into the penalty area from the left was flicked on by Bradbury, but cleared off the line by a defender, however the ball was played back into the 6 yard box for skipper Forth to force home the equaliser. Town were in the ascendancy and had a very good shout for handball in the Highworth penalty area, but with no VAR at Tucker Park to help the match official, play on was called! Town were pressing for the winner, but in the closing stages the man in the middle took centre stage as he showed Bradbury a straight red card to everyone’s amazement for a foul, which was worthy of a yellow at most! So down to 10 men for the final five minutes and it was backs to wall, before Town centre half Luke Davenport was shown to the sinbin for asking the referee a question with not a word of foul language?..The nine lads who saw out the final minutes, stood firm with Guinness-Smith making an important stop and Town took a deserved point from the title challengers, in a game which was hard but fair for 90 minutes on a tough surface. 

Next week Town are at home again, with Fairford Town Reserves the visitors to Tucker Park, 2.15pm kick off. 

Faringdon Town : C Guinness-Smith, A Rudman (sub 89 H Platt), A Sly, J Vaughan (sub 62 J Green), L Davenport, A Goodchild, J Forth, R Bradbury, A Piostrowski, M Pill, D Hoskin (sub 70 S Saunders) Sub Unused: W Nash. 

Fairford Town Reserves 1 Letcombe 2 (away view)

Letcombe were missing Fraser Little, Jordan Smith and Kias Bonner-Shea, but welcomed back Josh Fowler and Chad Abrams. James Wright reverted to his former role of centre back, having played in attack for most of the season. Fairford included Danny Gudger with their first team game postponed, but it is to their credit that the rest of their squad were regular reserve team players.

The first quarter of the game saw defences on top, and although Fairford had more of the ball, the best chance fell to league top scorer Josh Fowler. A long cross-field ball from the right eluded the home defence and left Fowler with a clear run on goal, but Fairford keeper Ben Mitchell came quickly off his line to block the shot. The hosts took the lead mid-way through the half. A through ball split the Letcombe defence, and although James Wright won the ball in a goal saving tackle, it broke kindly to Danny Gudger who drove it into the far corner of the net. Letcombe equalised after 40 minutes when a free kick from Luke Polding cleared the home defence, and new signing Joe Blackwell calmly placed the ball into the bottom corner for his first Letcombe goal.

Young Aidan Ormrod replaced the injured Luke Mulvey at half time, and Letcombe had most of the possession in the second half. The visitors seldom looked like conceding a goal with Mikey Annetts and James Wright outstanding at the heart of the defence, but a well organised Fairford defence also gave Letcombe few clear sights of goal. The winning goal after 65 minutes was an outstanding strike from 35 yards from new signing Ali Thorp, who crashed a dipping shot into the angle of post and crossbar over the despairing leap of keeper Mitchell. It was a `goal of the season` contender, and was worthy of the three points it achieved. Fairford had the ball in the net with three minutes remaining, but the flag had already been raised for offside and there was also a possible foul on keeper Danny Joyce as he jumped for a high ball.

This was a real team effort from Letcombe against a talented and determined Fairford side. Sam Mulvey again lead by example in midfield, but perhaps the most pleasing aspect was the defensive display with Luke Mulvey, Aidan Ormrod and Christy Whelehan winning numerous tackles, and supporting their two excellent central defenders as stated above.

Our thanks to Fairford Town for their excellent hospitality. Letcombe visit Shrivenham development next Saturday for a league fixture, kick off 3.00pm.