uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

14 December


uhlsport football kituhlsport Hellenic League Division Premier Division

Virginia Water 5  Royal Wootton Bassett  1

A great game at Stag Meadow, one of few to survive the weather (well done the goundsman!), saw VW come out on top – in the end!

VW started strongly with Joel Drew, Jake Baker and Finn Evered all going close, before Josh Hill crossed in the 22nd minute, for Casey Bocarro to head in a well-placed header at the back post.

RWB pressed for an equaliser, but Matt in goal and the defence held firm under some pressure from set pieces. On 32 minutes Lorenzo Di Felice put Jake Baker in, who hit a terrific first time shot passed their keeper. Playing into the wind, this was a great position to be in, with a 2-0 lead at the break.

We knew RWB would come back strongly, and they struck back after only 3 minutes of the restart, when a clearance from Matt was intercepted, and from the resulting cross, the ball was cut out, but the rebound fell kindly to their striker to poke home from close range. Soon after RWB had a good shout for a penalty turned down, and from then on it was VW who picked up, and scored a crucial third goal, when Lenny linked with Josh Dillon on 63 minutes, to calmly slot home.

Further goals followed from the excellent strikers Josh Dillon and Jake Baker respectively, on 68 and 82 minutes. At the other end, Matt was forced into a couple of good saves, but the home side ran out comfortable winners, albeit after a 15 minute ‘wobble’ at the start of the second half.

The performance and result was crucial, and deserved, and we wish RWB well for the remainder of the season

One East

Chalvey Sports 3 Thame Rangers 2 

If ever there was a game of two halves then this match was certainly that.  Thame Rangers totally dominated the first half and were deservedly in front at half time with goals Lewis Thorne & Craig Falconbridge. The fact that it was only a two goal deficit was the only plus that The Stabmonks could take from a completely lacklustre first 45 minutes. Rangers had chance after chance but never took their chances as Chalvey struggled to get some sort of foothold in the game. A combination of poor finishing and some great saves from Matteo Giacobbe keeping the score down at 0-2 at half time. 

The second half saw a dramatic turn around. Chalvey changed their formation During the break and this seemed to wake the hosts up and reduced the score line on 53 minutes when Kris Drake bundled home a Tom Williams free kick over the line from close range with the visitors keeper probably thinking he should have done better. 

Chalvey were now enjoying a larger share of the possession with Williams and Jamie Earis at the centre of everything. Chalvey drew level on 82 minutes when a pin point cross from Williams found Tom Jansons run in between the centre backs to side foot the ball home from 8 yards out to make it 2-2. 

The comeback was then complete on 89 minutes when a Matty Edwards through ball found Earis in plenty of space to go through one on one with the keeper, Earle kept his calm to finish past the outcoming keeper to put Chalvey 3-2 up. Rangers probably should have equalised in stoppage time when a header five yards out was headed wide and not long after it was over. A great comeback by the home side which will do their confidence the world of good after a poor recent run of form. 

Woodley United 4 Langley  2 

Buoyed by last Saturday’s cup win, United started strongly and against Langley and went on to record their first league win since August but in doing so had to endure a nervous closing eleven minutes. 

The fourth minute saw Toby Briggs denied by Khaira Bikramjit in the visitors’ goal who then blocked the follow up effort, Briggs then agonisingly saw Lamin Ceesay’s low cross from the left miss his outstretched foot seven minutes later. The host’s positive start was rewarded on fifteen minutes when Max Laschok broke through the back defensive line to slot pass Bikramjit to score one on one. Bikramjit was to deny the same player a second goal on the half hour before Langley exerted pressure and won two quick corners which United comfortably dealt with. 

Ben Anderson attempted a spectacular overhead kick at Langley’s goal four minutes before half time with United doubling their lead a minute later. Keeper Craig McCreeth’s pass to Pele Hagger saw the full back make ground and pass to Anderson who in turn found Laschok to score his second. On the stroke of half time Anderson headed Woodley’s third goal from a Ceesay cross. 

For much of second half Woodley controlled the game and were rarely threatened by the visitors. Woodley’s best chance fell to Joe Swaine who showed excellent skills to control a Laschok pass, only to see his shot blocked.  However, this all changed in the eighty third minute when Hagger conceded a penalty following an outstanding save by McCreeth who pushed a goal bound shot onto his crossbar. Jahdd Thomas converted the penalty which breathed life into Langley and it was the same player who got a second two minutes into stoppage time when he headed home from close range. 

Woodley held their nerve and were rewarded when Laschok was fouled in the penalty area two minutes later. Liridon Daka was dismissed for the challenge and Laschok converted the spot kick to complete his hat trick with what was the last kick of the game. 

One West

Malvern Town 14 New College 1

Malvern Town put in a ruthless display to run out 14-0 winners over New College Swindon.

We opened the scoring in the third minute when an intelligent ball picked out Dave Reynolds who found the net.

A teasing ball in from Curtis Smith found the head of Matt Turner whose effort was touched onto the woodwork by the ‘keeper but it wasn’t long before Turner added a second goal when he headed home Matt Fusco’s cross.

We added to our lead on 12 minutes when a marauding break from Smith saw him find Turner in space to make it 3-0.

On 19 minutes, Clark’s cross was met with a deft header from Turner to complete his hat-trick before Louis Loader’s strike nestled into the net to make it 5-0.

A neat move ended with Reynolds’ shot on the turn giving the ‘keeper no chance before Bryan Craven went close from distance after the ball fell out into his path.

At the other end, Hiscock’s free-kick from a promising position went over and Smith covered well to deny White as he looked to break through.

Some quick feet on the edge of the area from Reynolds ended with him firing home to complete his hat-trick and make it 7-0.

A free-kick for the visitors was delivered invitingly to the far post where White fired over and then Chris Pinder saved well from Handel’s powerful drive.

After seeing his strike blocked, Clark crossed for Reynolds to score from close range to make it 8-0 on 40 minutes.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Turner headed home from a corner to add to our lead as we put in a ruthless first half showing.

The second half started with Turner breaking through the middle before rounding the ‘keeper to make it 10-0.

Shortly afterwards Clark’s cross found Turner who teed up Reynolds to add his fifth goal of the afternoon.

There was a good save from Pinder just past the hour-mark as he blocked on the edge of his area to deny White, whilst at the other end, Mutuota did well to deny Morgan Skidmore and then the ‘keeper pushed out a curling effort from Clark that was destined for the net.

A foul on Skidmore gave us a free-kick on the edge of the area which Loader curled low towards goal and as the ‘keeper saved well, he was able to recover to also thwart Clark from the follow-up.

We eventually added a twelfth goal through Turner as he ended a slick move by guiding the ball home.

The closing stages saw Reynolds, Fusco and Smith go close before a cross from Aaron Griffiths appeared to be heading into the net as Clark helped it on its way and then in stoppage time, Skidmore’s strike was saved as Clark seized upon the loose ball to make it 14-0 and complete the scoring.

Malvern Town: Pinder, Smith, Hunt (Mole 57), Wickett (Griffiths 57), J. Febery, Craven (Skidmore 57), Fusco, Loader, Turner, Reynolds, Clark. Subs not used: Weaver, Harris.

GOAL(S): Reynolds (5), Turner (6), Loader, Clark (2)

Division Two West

Kintbury Reserves 0 Letcombe 2 (away view)

This game was played on a very boggy surface, but credit must be given to Kintbury for getting the pitch playable after it was waterlogged two days before.

Letcombe had the perfect start with a goal in the second minute after good work on the left from Kias Bonner-Shea provided the opening for Josh Fowler. He turned in a tight space and drove the ball past home keeper Kyle Clough, who managed to get a hand to the ball but could not prevent it from entering the net. Fowler had a clear run on goal soon afterwards, but his low shot was well saved by Clough. Kintbury had a lot of possession and looked dangerous going forward, but the well organised Letcombe defence gave them few scoring chances. The closest the hosts came was when a back pass from Michael Annetts was wide of keeper Danny Joyce, who did well to recover and save the ball inches from the line.

Letcombe had the better of the second half, with captain Sam Mulvey and Chad Abrams dominating in midfield. Luke Mulvey appeared to pull a hamstring early in the half, and was replaced by Luke Polding, whilst Boyan Thorpe replaced James Wright. Letcombe increased their lead mid-way through the half when Fraser Little headed home a free kick from Boyan Thorpe at the far post for his first goal for the club. Kintbury seldom looked like reducing the deficit, whilst at the other end, Letcombe failed to hit the target on a number of occasions.

This was the second difficult away game in succession which Letcombe have won without conceding a goal, having recently won 1-0 at Faringdon, and the back four of Jordan Smith, Michael Annetts, Fraser Little and Chris Whelehan deserve great credit for this. Keeper Danny Joyce looked secure throughout the game and handled cleanly but was never called upon to make any real saves.

Letcombe have their two longest away trips over the Christmas period, visiting Newent Town reserves on Saturday 21st and Shortwood United development on Saturday 28th.