uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

9 October

berks & bucks fa logoBerks & Bucks Senior Cup

Flackwell Heath 3 Shrivenham 2 

Flackwell Heath booked their place in the First Round of the Berks & Bucks Senior cup last night with a 3 v 2 victory over Shrivenham. 

Following an extended break from action, Flackwell lined up with a changed side from the one that  beat Abingdon United nine days prior. Khedive McIntosh completed his move to Holmer Green last week whilst Mansfield, Ceesay and Sinclair were absent altogether. 

The Heathens exploded out of the traps with Marcos Ushiro-Lumb rattling the bar after just 3  minutes which was a sign of things to come. The Shrivenham defence held firm for 40 minutes as  Khalid Simmo ran riot. The best chance of them all was on 35 minutes when a delicious ball from Ushiro-Lumb was met by Simmo who headed towards goal. Dan Lawrence in the Shrivvy goal kept things level. 

5 minutes later Lawrence wasn’t so successful. An initial error from the ‘keeper was followed up by 2 good blocks, eventually, the ball fell to Ushiro-Lumb who stroked home from 4 yards. As the clock ticked over into stoppage time Simmo was released down the left-hand flank. He proceeded to come back and sit two Shrivenham defenders down and let off a superb strike into the bottom corner of Lawrence’s goal. The hosts went into the break cruising, 2 goals to the good. The opening period of the second half was relatively quiet. The Heathens forced into a substitution as Jack Taylor was forced of with injury and Marcus Richardson introduced Simeon Weekes. The second sub was a tactical one. Gregory on for Eaton, Richardson with one eye on their FA Vase game at the weekend. With 20 minutes to play, Shrivenham found a lifeline. Jack Allan rounding Watkins and tapping in from close range. 

3 minutes later the Heathens restored their two-goal lead. Superb work from Josh Baines saw him whip into the penalty area from a tight angle. Lawrence fumbled and the ball fell to Weekes who was cool, calm and collected and stuck the ball past the recovering defender and keeper. The action wasn’t done yet. Less then 60 seconds after the restart the referee pointed to the spot. This time at the other end. Dan Bailey deemed to have fouled Allan. He stepped up and smashed the resulting spot-kick wide. A night of what could’ve been for the Wiltshire outfit. In the dying seconds, Shrivenham pulled one back but there was just not enough time left on the clock for them to draw level. 

Flackwell Heath: Watkins, Eaton (Gregory 66’), Vicos (Allen 80’) , Burrell, Bailey (c), Muzinga, 
Baines, Taylor (Weekes 55’), Ushiro-Lumb, Howell, Simmo. 

Shrivenham: Lawrence, Skinner, Morris, Edmondson, Dainton, Dodson, Robertson ©, Rejek, Allan, Gerrish, Petrie. 

Flackwell Heath 3  Shrivenham  2 (away view)

Shrivenham suffered defeat at Wilks Park yesterday evening  as the two uhlsport Hellenic Premier League sides battled it out in the preliminary Round of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup. 

In a sign of things to come, Marcus Ushiro-Lumb rattled the bar after his 25-yarder tested the Shrivvy defence early on before Macauley Dodson had an effort blocked at the other end with 17-minutes gone.  The home side then saw a string of opportunities denied, when Kahlid Zakaria Simmo saw his effort go wide 8-minutes later before Dan Lawrence was called in to action to make a fantastic flying save from the same player with 33-minutes on the clock. 

In truth, Shrivenham had little to offer in terms of attack in the first period, and their hosts finally broke the deadlock 5-minutes before the intermission after an initial error from Lawrence saw him follow up with two good blocks, but he could do nothing to stop the third after the ball eventually fell to Ushiro-Lumb, who made no mistake with his resulting effort. While the goal had been coming, the second was perhaps a little harsh on the visitors, however a lively Simmo will disagree given the effort he had put in during the opening period and just before the whistle, he managed to beat the sluggish Shrivenham defence once again and find the bottom corner to double his sides lead. 

With much work needed after the break, young Zac Skinner – who was making his first senior start, made way for the slightly more experienced Alfie Griggs to help firm up the D. Antonio Gerrish had an early long range effort saved before Lewis Petrie saw his long range effort well saved on 50-minutes before the home side were forced to change Jack Taylor for Simeon Weekes on the 55-minute mark. On 66-minutes, Tyler Gregory came on for Brandon Eaton as Shrivenham were beginning to cause more of a threat, but it was to little avail as Shrivvy finally broke their duck three minutes later when Jack Allan went around Aaron Watkins and slotted the ball home. 

The visitors continued to press – as they had to if they were going to get anything from the tie, however that played directly in to Flackwell’s plans and after Lawrence couldn’t hold a good ball from Josh Baines, Weekes was on hand to make it three with 72-minutes gone. To their credit, Shrivenham continued to press and Allan was brought down in the box soon after the restart, but a rare miss from the resulting spot kick – which he managed to put wide – summed up the way things were going and Flackwell’s two goal lead was upheld.  

With ten remaining, Brad Hirst came on for Allan with one eye on the weekend, while the home side swapped Spencer Allen who was replaced by Ben Vicos. With five minutes remaining, Kieran Sutton replaced Dodson 3-1 and after Lawrence kept the score line the same following a tip on to the post at 90-minutes, Hirst managed to force a Steve Robertson cross home for his opening senior goal of the season in injury time before the referee blew up to bring the game to a conclusion. 

uhlsport football kitHerefordshire FA County Senior Challenge Cup 

Ledbury Town  1 Westfields 3 (away view)

Westfields overcame the first hurdle of their defence of the Herefordshire FA County Senior Challenge Cup when they won comfortably 3-1 away at Ledbury Town last night. 

Westfields, the current holders of the County Cup and the record-breaking club to have won the trophy the most times, reshuffled their side to include a number of fringe players and it proved successful when Joe Bates put Westfields ahead in the 17th minute when he slammed home a right-wing cross to give Westfields an early lead. 

Bates was then on hand 4 minutes later to increase the lead to 2-0 before Ledbury came back with a quality goal through Sam Parker-Young. 

Ledbury looked quite nippy up front and were well in the game at the half-time interval.  However, after the break Ollie Butler increased the Westfields lead when he was on the end of a Richard Greaves cross at the far post to blast Westfields 3-1 ahead. 

Westfields then had further chances to increase their lead and Craig Jones and Aidan Thomas both fired over the bar before Ledbury almost got back into the game when a close-range effort cannoned off the Westfields goalpost into the arms of Ian Havard. 

Westfields went through to the Second Round where they will now meet Malvern Town on Tuesday 12th November at allpay.park.