uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

7 December

Chalfont Wasps 0 Woodley United 2 (away view)

Jamie Williams reign as first team manager got off to the best possible start when Ben Anderson, a player Williams has coached since the age of fourteen, fired past Wasps’ Daniel Brion forty seconds after United kicked off. The lead could have been doubled after three minutes play when Anderson passed to debutant Dylan Chaffin who rounded Brion only to see Brion recover and parry the goal bound shot away for a corner. 

With the visitors in the ascendency they continued to carve out chances that saw Harry Hawkins put a free kick straight at Brion, Brion do well to stop a low cut back cross from Lamin Ceesay and a Pele Hagger free kick headed clear for a corner all in the opening quarter hour. Gradually Chalfont found a way into the game with James Auger and Nigel Mpofu dangerous in attack but it was Woodley who were guilty of wasting chances with Ceesay lobbing both Brion and the crossbar when one on one and Hawkins pass to Anderson seeing the forward blaze over the cross bar. Wasps best chance came four minutes from half time when Joe Sissons committed a foul on the edge of the Woodley penalty area and the subsequent free kick put over the Woodley cross bar. 

The second half start in explosive manner with Anderson again having a chance straight from the kick off and Luke Axton-Hall having to block a Wasps shot. Chalfont committed men forward after the break with Auger dangerous and seeing Craig McCreeth save one shot and another go wide while a Wasps free kick saw the resultant header given off side. Substitute Danny Blatchford was introduced into play on seventy seven minutes and two minutes later he double the lead with a low drive following a good run by Toby Briggs and cross from the right wing. Woodley now progress into the third round where they visit AFC Aldermaston on Tuesday 17th December.


uhlsport football kituhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division

Ardley United 1 Westfields  3 (away view)

Westfields travelled to Bicester on Saturday to take on Ardley United in search of an Hellenic League Premier Division double and completed the double with a 3-1 victory. 

Westfields had to work hard for their victory as Ardley took an early lead when the home striker seized on a poor clearance to shoot the home side ahead but Billy Murphy soon equalised in the 10th minute with a header and then Keanu Cooper put Westfields 2-1 ahead 3 minutes later. 

Westfields worked hard in the heavy conditions but could not add to their score-line before the break. 

After the interval Ben Hayes put Westfields 3-1 ahead after good work by Aidan Thomas and then opportunities fell to Cameron Peters and Billy Murphy to increase the lead but the home keeper in particular was in top form. Westfields worked hard in the conditions to record an excellent away victory and to maintain their lead at the top of the Hellenic League Premier Division. 

Westfields now have a 2 week break as Tuesday night’s away trip to Tuffley Rovers has been postponed due to Tuffley playing Malvern Town in the Hellenic League Floodlit Cup and next Saturday’s home match v Binfield has been postponed due to Westfields having 4 players playing for the Combined Services in the Netherlands. 

Westfields’ next home game will be on Saturday 21st December at home to second in the table Fairford Town and this promises to be a real Christmas cracker, kicking-off at 3pm at allpay.park. 

Binfield 4 Bishops Cleeve 2 (Dave Wright Reports)

Josh Helmore bagged a brace as Binfield pulled off a fine 4-2 win over Bishops Cleeve at Hill Farm Lane. George Short and Shaun Moore were also on target in an entertaining game that saw the visitors finish with 10 men.

The Moles had to come from behind as poor defending saw them gift a goal to Steve Davies with less than four minutes played of this Uhlsport Hellenic League encounter and it needed a smart save from Joe Williamsto prevent Jack Watts from doubling the visitors' lead. Binfield realised they had to step up their game and a sustained spell of pressure led to the equaliser just after the half-hour mark. Following Tom Melledew's free-kick, Helmore took a return pass from Moore and went on to poke the ball low into the net. It took his season's tally to 16 goals in 18 games.

The Gloucestershire side looked dangerous on the break and Watts, the division's leading scorer with 26 goals, squandered a golden opportunity shortly before Helmore, who was rejected by Bishops Cleeve when a teenager, gave his side the lead just before half-time.

Less than two minutes into the second half, the scores were back level when left-back Adam Mace was allowed to race into the area and fire past Williams. Moore had a chance to restore his side's lead when he broke through, only to be thwarted by a diving save from Polish keeper Matt Wieczorek.

Bishops continued took threatening, but their hopes of going on to win the match faded when Watts was sent off for a second yellow card offence in the 69th minute. And it did not take long for Roger Herridge's men to make their numerical advantage count in the 73rd minute when midfielder Short lashed home a tremendous shot from 25 yards into the top right-hand corner. It rounded off a slick move which had been started by Williams and carried on down the left wing by Elliot Legg and Kennie Chamberlain.

Binfield's fourth goal came after 82 minutes when skipper Moore wriggled his way in from the right side and, from an acute angle, swung the ball into the net off the underside of the crossbar for his 20th goal of the season.

Windsor 2 Tuffley Rovers 2 (away view)

Tuffley Rovers returned from Windsor with another valuable Hellenic League point, thanks to a brace from Player/Manager Mark Pritchett that helped secure a 2-2 draw in an entertaining game that neither side deserved to lose. The two sides had met in early-September, when a late Rovers equaliser secured a 3-3 draw, and although the hosts have changed their manager since, with Mark Cooper taking the reins from then caretaker Luke Brooks-Smith, they came into the game with a recent record that wasn’t dissimilar to Rovers’ and it was perhaps no surprise that this contest – between two sides who have scored regularly but conceded more – would be best remembered for being an open, fast-paced affair, probably well regarded by any neutrals in the crowd.

Windsor very nearly seized the initiative within the first two minutes of kick-off, as Tom Kalinauskas’ free-kick drew an excellent save from Luke Merchant in the Rovers goal. Joe Shutt has proved to be an excellent addition to Pritchett’s squad in recent weeks and he produced another scintillating run before fizzing a ball across the face of the Windsor goal, but there was no Rovers player in a position to convert and the ball was cleared to safety. Pritchett’s side would live to regret their failure to capitalise on that opportunity and fell behind just sixty seconds later, as Windsor produced an excellent, crisp passing move before the ball found its way to Billy Montague who finished with aplomb. Rovers appealed, in vain, that the Windsor player had been in an offside position, but the 7th minute goal stood and the hosts had the lead.

It didn’t take long for Rovers to find their way back into the game, although they had good cause to thanks their hosts for creating the opportunity that secured a 14th minute equaliser.When George Gould played the ball back to his keeper, Nojus Trinovas, the keeper inexplicably elected to pick-up the ball, giving Rovers a free-kick approximately one yard inside the Windsor penalty area. Pritchett, who has been amongst the goals in recent fixtures, stood alongside Liam Wright and when the latter rolled the ball into his path, the Rovers boss hammered a low shot powerfully past Trinovas, who was left helpless. Trinovas redeemed himself a little, three minutes later, as he turned Shutt’s effort over the bar, and he combined well with his defenders to keep Warren Mann at bay, as the Rovers veteran tried to conjure a chance from a tight angle.

Although Windsor had fewer chances, they were making Rovers work incredibly hard, stretching the visitors’ back four, with Kalinauskas showing real promise every time he was on the ball. They almost recovered their lead, as they counter-attacked with pace, but Dominik Kent produced an excellent sliding block to keep Montague’s cross away from goal. Shutt was proving to be the catalyst for many of Rovers chances and his corner kick presented Pritchett with a chance – or two, to be precise – but the Player/Manager was unable to convert either, with his second blazed over Trinovas’ goal. It looked as though the side would go into the interval with the scores level, but Rovers failed to heed the warning that had been provided on several occasions and another Windsor break ended with Danny Horscroft’s calm, low and well placed shot going beyond Merchant and into the corner of the Rovers net, almost on the stroke of half-time.

Whatever Pritchett and his assistant, Richard Cox, said during the break appeared to have the desired effect, as Rovers came out all guns blazing. Within 90 seconds Wright had gone close with a shot from a difficult angle, then Briscoe fired narrowly over the bar from the edge of the box.
However, Rovers were reminded of the threat posed by the Windsor attack and only a great stop from Merchant prevented them from falling further behind after 53 minutes. Then, only some terrific defending from the back four, with skipper Macaulay Herbert leading by example, prevented the hosts from conjuring any clear chances, as they exerted a spell of pressure. One of the Rovers defenders, Isaac Lawrence, caused Trinovas a moment of panic, as his cross almost caught the Windsor keeper out on the hour mark, but the ball eventually flew just over the bar, before Wright drew another save from the keeper, who was proving equal to almost everything Rovers had to offer.

If there was any sense of frustration amongst the visiting team, at their failure to conjure an equaliser, it didn’t show and they didn’t have to wait long for a further chance, more a half-chance, that wasn’t to be wasted. When Briscoe’s cross was cleared, Wright did well to keep the ball in Windsor territory, although the hosts felt he had fouled substitute Brooks-Smith in his attempt to win back possession, and when he rolled the ball back into Pritchett’s path thirty yards from goal, the ball was struck with venom and a ruthless precision that ensured Trinovas was left a spectator as it flew into the net, to make it 2-2 on 67 minutes.

Both sides had half-chances to score in the twenty minutes that followed, with Herbert going closest, as he drew another save from the Windsor stopper, but as the game moved into the closing stages the visitors looked most likely to steal the points. They had the opportunity to do so, in the final seconds of the game, as Jack Beardsell’s excellent free-kick found Jake Rhodes at the back post, but the man with seven goals to his name this season was unable to convert, skewing his effort wide, and the sides had to settle for a point on an afternoon when a defeat would have been harsh for both.

Division One East

Risborough Rangers 3 Chalvey Sports 1 

Not the best of starts from the One East leaders as visitors Chalvey Sports had them on the back foot from the first whistle. Rangers struggled to get out of their own half for long periods in the opening 20 minutes and Chalvey could have been two up but for some poor finishing in front of goal and one very good save by Jack Brooker. Rangers first chance came 14 minutes in when Brian Haule headed over from Adam Morris' free kick. The visitors deservedly took the lead in the 20th minute following a good move and fine finish from Shingleton. They almost made it two following some indecisiveness in the Rangers defence, with the home side eventually scrambling the ball to safety. With 26 minutes played Rangers finally showed their credentials with a superb equalising goal out of the blue. Following some great build up play, Brian Haule received the ball just inside the visitors area and after holding off a challenge, laid the ball into the path of the onrushing Ben Hammond, who rifled the ball into the bottom left hand corner. The goal buoyed Rangers as they began to take control. Shortly after, the impressive Morris had a rasping free kick superbly tipped over. Brian Haule then hit a cross/shot across the face of goal. Chalvey came back, as a mistake almost let in Shingleton, only for Alex Sethi to get across with a timely tackle. The final few minutes before half time belonged to Rangers however, with Morris setting up Gary Rymer, who shot wide when well placed. Another good move from Risborough saw Haule tee up Rymer, whose scuffed shot was easy for the visiting keeper. On the stroke of half time it was Rymer again, picking up another good lay-off from Haule, this time shooting wide. 

The second half belonged to Rangers with the opening minute seeing Haule thump a header against the Chalvey crossbar following a cross from Jason Castello. Moments later Haule latched on to a half clearance, his volley just inches wide. In the 53rd minute Rangers took the lead after a near post corner was flicked on by Haule and Rymer poked the ball home from close range. Rymer seemed everywhere and soon after he raced through, ball at feet, fully 60 yards before setting up Hammond, whose chip failed to beat the keeper. Davis Haule then headed over Morris' corner shortly after the Chalvey left back was sin binned for dissent. A few minutes later and Rangers' Bertie Squire-Adams joined him for something he said to the assistant. Moments later a dangerous cross from Chalvey was brilliantly cleared by Hammond with the resultant corner well dealt with by Brooker. The 73rd minute and it was all over as a contest when Sam Pekun capitalized on a mistake by the Chalvey keeper and lobbed home from 25 yards for Risborough's third. Sethi again came to the rescue with another timely tackle as Chalvey looked to get back in it. Five minutes from time and Kyle Faulkner's shot was saved before Rangers looked to consolidate with some sensible ball retention. 

After a shaky start Rangers showed their experience and quality against a lively team to maintain their unbeaten record in the the league and a four point lead at the top. 

Rangers Man of the Match:
Gary Rymer. Good performances from several players, with Rymer catching the eye with his runs into the box and tireless work in the middle of the park. 

Wokingham & Emmbrook 4 - 0 Abingdon Town (Arthur Strand Report)

With not many seconds having passed, Sumas' took a free kick from an angle outside the Abingdon Town penalty area. This was met by Kylo Atkinson who was placed on-side not far from the near post and a first minute goal gave some direction as to what would show on the tally at the final whistle A surge by Abingdon gave De Shawn Whittaker a chance to shoot but he missed the target. Abingdon returned after a free kick to take a corner with no outcome. Dan Carter, captain for the game, took the ball on one of his wing sprints and this gained a corner kick for Sumas'. The ball returned after Atkinson clashed with keeper, Edwards, for a corner from which Edwards claimed the ball. Abingdon took a free kick which was cleared and Sumas' worked the ball upfield and Atkinson was through the defence, able to manage a shot but the ball rebounded off the upright. From Sumas’ next free kick, Atkinson ran on to the ball and a deflection gave Sumas' another corner. Luke Scope won the ball and had the goalkeeper to beat but the shot was saved. Josh Brown's pass was intercepted but lost the ball again only for Abingdon to provide Atkinson with the ball but as Sumas' pressed, Abingdon defenders were rlieved to see the next arial ball headed wide of the far post. In mid-field Callum Eagle sent the ball forward for Luke Scope who nailed the second goal after the 25th minute. Two free kicks to Abingdon put the ball in Woodward's safe hands once more. Dan Carter went along the flank but Edwards gathered in the ball. The next attack by Sumas' saw Atkinson cause a corner from which Edwards made a useful save. Sumas' missed two more opportunity’s, the latter would have been Atkinson's addition but it was not to be. However, Luke Scope raced across onto a ball sent into a space but could not quite connect. Atkinson was fouled and Adam Edwards took the free kick which was saved by Omari Edwards. Callum Eagle went forwards and Omari Edwards collected the ball Will Day took the next Sumas'' free kick direct to Omari Edwards. He left his goalmouth unattended but was lucky that he got away with the errant placing.

The second half began and Scope with Atkinson as well continued their industrious presence Omari Edwards again left his area and, when the ball was headed out for a throw in, he had to scoot back to his station rapidly. During the following few minutes Scope and Atkinson Abingdon took a free kick which reached the Sumas'' defenders and was duly cleared. After a free kick for Sumas', Luke Scope took the ball and lobbed it over head height with Kylo Aykinson sprinting into the area but the keeper beat him to it. On the 55th minute, Kylo Atkinson chased the ball and finished putting Sumas' 3 - 0 up. After a free kick to Sumas' Tom Clark took one for Abingdon and an ensuing corner kick was headed out. Time for substitute Richard Kell replaced Adam Edwards and Chris Byrne came on too. Player/Manager Tranell Richardson had come on as a substitute at half-time and as the second-half was maturing, Abingdon took a free kick but a smart spell of accurate passing started by Nick Bateman reached Dan Best. His intention was to score the fourth goal which he duly managed in the 76th minute. Dan Best who replaced Chris Byrne, scored a fourth, finishing in good style. Abingdon finished with 10 men when a clumsy tackle earned Scott a red card but there was still more time left to play and Tom Clark chased after a well placed ball into space but his shot went wide of Sumas’ goal. The final whistle brought Wokingham & Emmbrook [Sumas'] three points and they are now fifth in Division 1 East.

Wokingham: Woodward, Carter[c], O'Connell, W.Day, C.Eagle, Jones, Edwards, N. Bateman, Scope, Atkinson, Byrne. Substitutes: Best, Kell, Burnes-Peake, rner (Moran 67), Evans, Clark. Subs not used: Smith, A. Sauntson.

Division One West

Malvern Town 3 Moreton Rangers 1

Malvern Town secured a deserved three points in our return to League action with a 3-1 victory over Moreton Rangers.

There was a great start to proceedings when a deep cross from the left found its way to Matt Fusco at the far post and he tucked home with just two minutes on the clock. A purposeful burst by Harry Clark ended with him firing just over before some good marauding play from Kyonn Evans ended with the ball falling out to Jamie Sauntson who lashed the ball into the net with power to give the ‘keeper absolutely no chance and double our lead on eight minutes.

Some good link-up play involving Evans, Dave Reynolds and Matt Turner ended with Clark hitting the base of the post, whilst at the other end, Nurse put an effort wide. As the visitors looked to get a foothold in the game, Peters fired just wide from distance. A neat through-ball from Reynolds played in Turner whose effort was deflected inches wide then on the half-hour mark Evans picked out Fusco in space inside the area but he dragged his effort just off target.

Clark’s cross to the far post was fired wide by Reynolds then a couple of efforts in quick succession were kept out by the visitors as we pushed for a third goal. We suffered yet another defensive injury with ten minutes to go until the break when Jamie Sauntson was forced off having already seen Adam Sauntson forced out of the starting line-up in the warm-up. Some trickery from Clark ended with his strike blocked and then in the next raid moments later, he hit the woodwork. As half-time approached, a low strike from Harry Wickett went close as we went in at the beak good value for our two-goal lead.

The second period started with a great ball out of defence by Aaron Griffiths which picked out Fusco whose cross found Reynolds and his strike was deflected for a corner that was headed over by Turner. Another Reynolds effort was deflected out for a corner on 50 minutes and as the flag-kick was half-cleared to Craven, his inviting ball back into the danger zone was scrambled away by Smith. A strike from Clark was beaten away by the ‘keeper as we kept up the pressure without being able to make the breakthrough.

Just past the hour-mark Griffiths did well to clear off the line, whilst at the other end Loader and Turner both forced good saves out of the ‘keeper. A free-kick from da la Fortes was on target but well watched by debutant Jordan Dibble in our goal. Some good link-up play between Clark and Reynolds saw Wickett set up only for his effort to have the sting taken out of it by a deflection.

After going close moments before, the goal that we had been threatening finally arrived as Evans slotted home to make it 3-0. With Sam Hunt making a welcome return to action, there was a smart save from Dibble to deny Nurse. A nice effort from distance by Fusco landed narrowly wide of the target but it was the visitors who pulled a goal back on 87 minutes through Nurse. In the closing stages, a free-kick rebounded out to Griffiths who fired over as we secured a 3-1 win.

Malvern Town: Dibble, Fusco, Wickett (Hunt 77), Griffiths, J. Sauntson (Hayes 36), Craven, Reynolds, Loader, Turner (Moran 67), Evans, Clark. Subs not used: Smith, A. Sauntson.

Tytherington Rocks  2 Cheltenham Saracens 4 (away view)

Saracen's match was away at Tytherington Rocks and it started fairly evenly, with chances for both teams early on.  Sam Mason has a great opportunity in the 8th minute when he burst through the Tytherington defence and found himself 1-on-1 with their keeper, but his low shot was easily saved. 

Tytherington wasted a chance in the 21st minute when they found themselves with time and space, but their shot from distance lacked power and pace and didn’t trouble our keeper Nick Jones.  Liam Brignull had a brilliant half and, when a cleared free kick fell to him, he chanced a speculative long range shot but was unlucky to clear the crossbar. Liam and Jordan Bryan both held the ball well, staying strong and on their feet despite challenges. 

Sarries kept the pressure on and it finally paid off in the 35th minute when a cross from the wing found Matt Magee who tucked the ball beyond the keeper’s reach in the bottom corner of the net, putting us 1-0 up.  Tytherington looked much improved from last season. Their James Brock fought hard and, despite being tackled to the ground, managed to feed the ball to Rahib Rehman, but he could only muster a weak shot that was saved with ease.  It looked as though we’d increased our lead in the 42nd minute when Adam Loveridge steamed down the wing and found Bryan in the box, but he only found the side netting. We headed in at halftime with a 1-0 lead. 

The second half saw Tytherington attempt plenty of long range shots, but few were on target. 
Sam Mason’s continuous hard work finally paid off when, once again, he was gifted time and space on the ball. This time he buried the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal to double our lead. 
Tytherington responded with a renewed effort, with Brock forcing a great save from Jones. They tried again when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box but, once again, Nick Jones caught hold of it. He fed the ball out quickly, and Magee pounced on it, firing his second goal of the day past Jordan Dunning. 3-0.

raser Moss played well for the Rocks, making a great run down the pitch, dodging our tackles too easily. He passed the ball through 2 of our defenders before catching up with it and passing it to a waiting Miles Hatfield for an easy tap in to narrow the score to 3-1.  Just 2 minutes later, Loveridge tore down the other end of the pitch before hammering in a cracking goal to make it 4-1. 

The 67th minute saw the 4th goal in just 8 minutes when Tytherington’s Domani Sokoni scored from close range, narrowing our lead to 2 goals again. The rest of the half flew by, with action at both ends. Nick Jones’ free kick found Harlie Price, who hit the ball on the volley to force a fantastic fingertip save from Dunning. The 90th minute saw Tytherington make another great run down the wing, but Jones kept us at 4-2  when he pulled off a great reactionary save with his forearm. 
And that wrapped up the game with the final scoreat 4-2. Tytherington Rocks were a much tougher opponent  today than they were previously, but we pulled off a brilliant team performance, with everyone working hard for the 3 points we eventually earned. 

Match Report By Jemma Maeve. 

Division Two West

Faringdon Town 2 Shortwood United Development  1 

For the fifth fixture running, Town were at Tucker Park on Saturday, this time welcoming basement side Shortwood United Development in Hellenic Division Two West. The visitors were on a run of six straight league defeats, whilst Town hoped to record another league victory after last weekends 4-1 defeat of Newent Town Reserves. The hosts were hit by injury and unavailability, however it gave a number of lads from the Reserves and new 16 year old signing, Sam Saunders an opportunity and welcomed into the squad. 

This wasn't a classic for the healthy crowd, which included a good following from our visitors, due to their 1st Team fixture being postponed. The opening 15 minutes saw very little goalmouth action, until Town keeper Frankie Godwin had to make a full length save to his right, pushing a curling effort around his post for a corner. Both sides were struggling to come to terms with the slippery surface and neither keeper was tested with either tame efforts straight at them or wide of the target. However, on 35 minutes the deadlock was broken, when a misplaced cross from the Town right, sailed into the far side of the goal, giving Godwin no chance at the Playground End. Town were not at their best and really didn't deserve anything from the opening half, but their only passage of pass and movement did bring an equaliser as the half came to close. A 15 pass move found Matty Pill on the right of the 'Wood' penalty area and his cross found left winger Jack Green rushing in at the far post to head home, despite the efforts of the keeper. 

Town manager Chris Benson gave his troops a bit advice at half time and to be fair the second period was an improvement on the first, although still not free flowing. On 49 minutes Ryan Bradbury hit a well taken free kick, but the visiting number 1 was on hand to get down to his right and hold onto the ball. Moments later and panic broke in the Shortwood penalty area, but Luke Davenport couldn't apply enough purchase to the ball to beat the keeper. Town introduced debutant Saunders and Sean Creeley on the hour and both made an immediate impact in applying a drive to the front line. Fellow sub Jason Evans was also welcomed on 78 minutes and with his first touch, scored the winner for Town. Creeley chased a lost cause down the Town right, beat the full-back on the touchline and as he crossed, the centre-back upended the Town winger in the penalty area for a penalty. Evans strode forward and planted the ball into the top left corner of the United goal, giving the keeper no chance. Town withstood some late pressure, but gained another valuable three points to move them up to fifth in the table. 

The two sides meet again on Saturday, and in a strange quirk, with the same match official! This time Town will travel to Stroud and look forward to another competitive tie against this young outfit. kick off at the Meadowbank Stadium is 3.00pm .