uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

6 November

Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup

Flackwell Heath 0 Marlow United 0
(Marlow win on penalties )

Flackwell Heath were dumped out the Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup on Tuesday night by a resilient Marlow United FC side. The Heathens came into the game in great form, having lost just 4 times in the previous 20 games. Marlow United came into the game sitting second in uhlsport Hellenic Division One East just below unbeaten leaders Risborough Rangers. 

On a wet blustery night at Wilks Park, it was never going to be a classic. After 4 minutes Flackwell had a huge shout for a penalty turned down by the match referee.  4 minutes later, United striker Alfie Lucas sent a outside of the boot effort curling round Watkins who watched it rattle his post. 

The Heathens had a few chances in quick succession but could not find the breakthrough required to break down the United defence. Josh Baines pulling the strings in midfield for the reds and ever-bright Khalid Simmo was darting around the pitch causing problems for United with his movement. At the break, it was 0 v 0. 

The second half was much the same as the first. Few chances for both sides but United’s performance got stronger and stronger and certainly did not look out of place against higher league opposition. 

On 78 minutes there was huge controversy. A corner was whipped in from Josh Baines. Phillips jumped at the near post after a push in the box. The ball eventually came off Weekes’ head. The ball was then scrambled out the back of the goal by the United winger and keeper. Quite clearly over the line. The referee and linesman oblivious waved play on. What is your opinion Goal or Not? Video - ​https://twitter.com/alan_harris01/status/1191829237180911618?s=20 

The last 10 minutes played out with both teams guilty of cynical fouls resulting in yellow cards and subsequent free kicks were cleared. 

The final whistle went and straight to penalties.  United coming out eventual winners after Phillips and Gray missed penalties for the Heathens.

Flackwell Heath: Watkins, Gregory, Gray, Hathaway, Ceesay, Edwards, Baines (c), Taylor, Weekes, Simmo, Howell. 

Marlow United: Cannings, Namyslak, Britnell, Davis, Tripp, Mckie, Lucas, Jordan, Etienne, O Flint, Bushay Subs. Dickens, C Flint 


Flackwell Heath 0 Marlow United 0 (away view)
(Marlow win on penalties )
Marlow United knocked Flackwell Heath out of the Floodlit Cup after a tense penalty shoot out on a wet and windy night at Wilks Park. 

By doing so they avenged an earlier loss to their Premiership rivals having been on the end of a 2-1 reverse in the league cup earlier in the season.  The win was even more remarkable considering United’s starting eleven was missing six regular starters owing to injuries, suspensions and work commitments. 

The visitors could have taken an early lead with Alfie Lucas hitting the post with a curling effort following a corner by the same player on 8 minutes.  After that early scare the home team settled into the game, applying early pressure on the United defence who stood firm, dealing with the pace of Flackwell’s front line. 

Neither side looked like breaking the deadlock as the half progressed, the Marlow defensive central pairing of Tripp and Mckie proving to be a formidable obstacle aided and abetted by full backs Namyslak and Britnell. In midfield Adam Davis covered every blade of grass as the visitors repulsed the hosts, countering effectively through Etienne, Lucas and Bushay.  The latter almost broke the deadlock on 43 minutes, his blistering 20 yard effort forcing a superb save from keeper Watkins, this after Mckie had saved his side with a last ditch tackle as Howell broke through for Flackwell. 
United replaced an injured Etienne at half time with Adam Dickens as they faced the rain and wind. 

Marlow were looking a more composed team as the half progressed , the home side becoming more frustrated at their inability to breach the United defence.  The longer the game remained scoreless the more assured the visitors looked even though they had lost Ollie Flint to injury on 53 minutes with 16 year old namesake Charlie Flint entering the fray. 
On 76 minutes the home team thought they had broken the deadlock following a corner as the ball was cleared from the goal line by Alfie Lucas, the Flackwell players appealing as one that the ball had crossed the line. 

It was certainly a close call but with neither the referee or his assistant indicating a goal the score line remained blank. 
As it was the final whistle arrived with the game still scoreless so it was on to penalties to decide the winner.  For Marlow Adam Dickens, Dan Jordan and Alan McKie all scored with Flackwell replying in kind.  Alfie Lucas stepped up but his kick lacked pace allowing Watkins to dive to his left and save. 

Time for Marlow custodian Matt Cannings to earn his stripes by saving the kick from Flackwell’s Phillips to keep the scores at 3-3. Ice cool Adam Davis converted penalty number five to put the pressure on Cameron Gray of Flackwell who stepped forward only to see Cannings pull of a great save.  To the dismay of the visitors the keeper was ruled to have moved to soon allowing Gray the opportunity to retake his spot kick only for the unfortunate player to send the ball over the bar. 

Penalties 4-3 and United were through to the next round of 16 where they will travel to KIdlington Development. 
Penalties 4-3 

Marlow United:Cannings, Namyslak, Britnell, Davis, Tripp, Mckie, Lucas, Jordan, Etienne, O Flint, Bushay Subs. Dickens, C Flint 

uhlsport football kituhlsport Hellenic League One East

Wokingham & Emmbrook 0 Abingdon United 0 (Report By Arthur Strand)
A Tuesday evening fixture at home with Abingdon United under the new floodlights at Lowther Road gave the Sumas' food for thought since Abingdon were 4th in the table a few places above. Soon after kick off, Abingdon gained a free kick but Sumas' found the ball with them and worked upfield but the visitors were soon worrying Sumas' defenders again. A very decisive tackle by skipper, Liam Eagle, gave Sumas' a chance to break into the Utd. area but that was relinquished when Abingdon had a free kick for a minor infringement followed by another free kick. However, Sumas' went on the attack and forced a corner kick. Surviving an appeal for a penalty, Abingdon returned to the railway end but Charlie Bateman's shot sailed over the cross bar. Going back to the other end, the ball reached Henery Horton whose shot was saved by Sean Woodward. Ben Crooks took a very good shot which Woodward saved. Sumas' occupied Abingdon’s half briefly, the latter working upfield along the line until they approached the penalty area and the ensuing shot was parried by Woodward who conceded a corner to the visitors but Woodward claimed the incoming ball. Jacob Joseph managed to curl a shot at goal but the save was reasonably comfortable for Woodward then Kyle Moses made an unsuccessful effort. After Nick Bateman sent the ball across Abingdon's goal mouth, the following goal kick went on to the right flank but Abingdon midfielders smoothly switched wing play to the left. As the half progressed, Will Leach forced another fine save by Woodward then Luke McCormack took the ball out of defence and went on a long run at Sumas' but his shot missed. Jacob Joseph took a left foot shot at Sumas’ goal and that by-passed the near post. The visitors were clearly getting the larger slice of the action. Abingdon took a corner but Sumas' were awarded a free kick which was pumped up into the Abingdon area. quickly followed by a free kick closer to goal but the went over the cross bar, just. Abingdon approached again but this time there was no positive finish. Eagle pushed the ball along the wing and the header that was sent into the area glided over the bar. Clarke, the substitute had begun to make his presence felt as Abingdon converted a free kick into a corner kick and Sumas' cleared away from danger. Dan Carter pushed forward on one of his wing sprints Once more, Abingdon took a free kick, Josh Harris having tripped up a player. Just before the break, Elliott Rushforth found some space in front of him but his attempt was way off beam.

The second half started with Charlie Bateman taking a fairly long shot from squarely in front of Sumas'' goal but it was too high. Abingdon continued to press until the forwards forced another corner kick Then a foul presented Abingdon with a penalty which Woodward saved at full stretch. The visitors took a corner which kept the ball in a tight cluster of players in front of goal with the ball at a defender's feet one moment then blasted by an Abingdon forward and blocked which was quite a process a bit like pinball. As the ball went out of play by the dug outs, Kyle Moses attempted to deprive a Sumas' man of the ball and eventually received a red card. Substitutes began to arrive, Luke Scope replaced Elliott Rushforth before Ben Broadhurst came on but not for long since the latter received a red card for a clumsy tackle. Sean Woodward made another crucial save yet again but the next infringement was when Joseph was shown the yellow card adding to Abingdon's tally. Jake White missed a shot that went wide and Wokingham players migrated into Abingdon's territory gaining a free kick plus a corner kick which .keeper Cameran Midwinter punched away for his defenders to clear. Free kick to Sumas' was taken and Liam Eagle's header could not enter the net. After another wing dash, Sumas' took another corner from which Abingdon escaped and cleared with a free kick to follow but again no finish. Abingdon took a quick free kick but the follow up shot was well wide. It looked obvious that stalemate was the potential conclusion but both keepers had to make some crucial saves. No goals in a well contested game. Wokingham & Emmbrook now have a home fixture on Saturday 12th v Thame Rangers in the HFL.

Wokingham & Emmbrook:Woodward,[GK], Carter, O'Connell, Byrne, L.Eagle,[c], Cummeskey, Harris, N. Bateman., E. Day, White, Rushforth. Substitutes: Scope, Broadhurst, Good. :- Guest, W.Day. Not used.