uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

faringdon thursday memorial cupFaringdon Thursday Memorial Cup

Letcombe 4 Fairford Town Reserves 0

This game was a lot closer than the scoreline would suggest, with Letcombe scoring all four goals in the last quarter of the game. With James Wright and Fraser Little both carrying knocks, Letcombe gave 16 year old Aidan Ormrod his first start at centre back, and paired Josh Fowler with Kias Bonner-Shea for the first time together in attack.

Letcombe had the majority of possession in the first half, but failed to turm this into goals. A good run and cut back by Callum Little gave Luke Polding a chance, but his shot was tipped over the bar by the Fairford keeper. Josh Fowler twice went close, but both shots went narrowly wide. At the other end, Danny Joyce did well to turn a close range header over the bar.

Fairford had their best chance of the game early in the second half, but volleyed over from eight yards following a free kick. Callum Little and Kias Bonner-Shea both had efforts well saved, but the game turned dramatically mid-way through the half. Letcombe keeper Danny Joyce came bravely off his line to block a shot, and the hosts raced away to take the lead from the resulting clearance, Josh Fowler placing the ball just inside the post. Letcombe added a second soon afterwards when a Chris Rivers pass opened up the Fairford defence, and Kias Bonner-Shea supplied the final pass to Josh Fowler who scored. Sam Mulvey added a third with a fierce 25 yard drive with five minutes remaining, and Jamie Saulter took advantage of hesitant defending to score the fourth in added time.

A very pleasing team performance by Letcombe with another clean sheet, and they began to look more of a threat going forward as the game progressed. The foundations are in place for a successful season, with competition for places in all areas.

Letcombe are now away to Wroughton or Abingdon United Development in the second round next Monday, 12 August.