uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

3 September

Buildbase FA Vase First Round Qualifying Replay

Pershore Town 0 Malvern Town 2 (away view)

There was another hard-fought battle between Malvern Town and Pershore Town in the Buildbase FA Vase as The Hillsiders emerged 2-0 victors in this first qualifying round replay. Both sides once more showed plenty of endeavour but there was also more quality on show compared to Sunday’s encounter.

It was the home side who got the first glimpse of goal when some defensive hesitation allowed them to get in a strike that Haydn Whitcombe gathered comfortably. At the other end, a corner caused problems for the home ‘keeper under pressure but the loose ball was scrambled clear before we could profit. A free-kick for the home side spun up off the defensive wall and as Whitcombe half-cleared, the ball was headed off the line as Seabourne looked to force home.

We (Malvern) started to get a foot-hold into the game and forced a series of corners before a free-kick in a promising position saw Louis Loader on target but Wilcox was able to make the save. With the home side forced into two changes in quick succession due to injury with just 23 minutes on the clock, we looked to take advantage of their adjustments as Harry Clark was denied by the ‘keeper and then Kyonn Evans used his strength to hold off his marker before firing over.

A foul on Pinder by George Hayes gave the home side a free-kick in a good position and Pinder lashed the ball goalwards but it clipped the post on its way wide. Moments later it was Hussain who was denied by the woodwork and then Baldwin played in Seabourne who lifted the ball over the ‘keeper but wide of the target. It was a positive spell from the home side but we managed to get them on the break when firstly Matt Turner did well out wide on the right to force a corner before Clark opened the scoring on 43 minutes when his strike found its way past Wilcox. With our tails up, Sam Hunt went close in the wake of the goal as we took a one-goal advantage into the break.

The second period started with Evans and Turner linking up for the latter to go close. After Louis Loader was rather harshly booked, was had Whitcombe to thank for denying Pinder and then Hussain fizzed a ball into the danger zone which evaded everyone. A great ball in from Ben Miller on the hour-mark picked out Clark at the far post but he was unable to find the power to trouble the ‘keeper.

There was a big moment in the game soon afterwards when Whitcombe was alert to block from Pinder who was played through before the imposing ‘keeper thwarted Hussain as the home side pushed for an equaliser. Into the final quarter-of-an hour and we had a let-off when Pinder was off target from close range after Whitcombe appeared to be impeded as he came for a high cross into the box. The home side were made to pay with nine minutes to go when Miller fed Evans who cut inside before curling home with much aplomb to double our advantage.

From then on we managed to shut up shop to see the game out as the closing stages saw Bryan Craven have an effort deflected wide and then Clark flashed a ball across the face of goal. In the end we were relieved to make it through to the next round of the competition where a home tie with NFK Burbage awaits on September 14th at a venue to be decided due to the ongoing redevelopment works at our home stadium.

Malvern Town - Whitcombe, Hayes, Hunt, Harris, J. Sauntson, Wickett, Turner (Fusco 86), Loader, Evans, Miller (Craven 83), Clark. Subs not used: Smith, A. Sauntson, Hooper.