uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

4 January 2020

Gloucestershire FA Challenge Trophy

Hardwicke 0 Tuffley Rovers 1 (Rovers View)

In his fourth season as Tuffley Rovers’ manager, Mark Pritchett finally recorded a GFA Challenge Trophy victory, with a 1-0 win over near neighbours Hardwicke, although the scoreline might have been more emphatic had his patched-up side taken the chance to convert a host of opportunities that came their way against their Gloucestershire County League opposition.

gloucester fa county cupPritchett was serving the third and final game of a three game suspension collected in December and was joined in watching the game by Dominik Kent and Warren Mann, who had both picked up a fifth caution of the season against Brimscombe & Thrupp on Boxing Day, earning each of them a one game ban. With Liam Wright and Adam Bloomfield cup-tied, after outings for Bishops Cleeve and Slimbridge, respectively, Rovers might have hoped Joe Shutt would have recovered from a groin injury picked up seven days earlier, but he was unable to recover and joined the growing list of absentees. There were, however, plenty of players with a significant number of Tuffley Rovers appearances available on the day, albeit a number of them appearing in the opposition squad, with Glenn Gittins, Kieran Tracey and Jordan Dowdeswell all starting for the hosts against their former club; with another group of former Rovers on the Hardwicke bench in the shape of Kieran Squires and Steve Bick.

Rovers came into the game off the back of a hard-fought win against Lydney Town the previous weekend, whilst Hardwicke were also buoyant, having recorded a fine 3-2 over Wick in their own fixture. The opening moments of the game promised an end-to-end contest that didn’t materialise, as the hosts’ early pressure proved to be the exception, once Rovers had weathered an early storm, albeit one that didn’t need the returning Luke Merchant to be forced into any serious action. In fact, the Hardwicke keeper, Tom Kaye, was equally redundant in the early stages, as both sides struggled to create any clear chances and it wasn’t until the 26th minute that a first chance of note arrived, just as the visiting side were beginning a first spell of concerted pressure, and it was one that should have been converted, only for Jake Rhodes to turn Ben Prictor’s cross wide of the goal with his heel, when he was five yards out from goal with only Kaye to beat.

Rovers’ midfielder Tyreece Briscoe was becoming increasingly influential on proceedings and his run past four challenges was matched by a superb pass across the goal, but none of his teammates reacted quickly enough and the ball went wide of Kaye’s goal and out of play. Lewis Bainbridge then had a shot pushed over the bar by Kaye, shortly after the half hour mark, before the Hardwicke keeper made a more impressive double-save two minutes later, keeping out Bainbridge’s initial effort, before scrambling back to his feet to deny Niall Priday’s follow-up. It appeared as though the interval would arrive without Rovers’ pressure providing a telling moment, but they finally broke down Hardwicke’s resistance moments before half-time, when Prictor’s cross was palmed down by Kaye, under pressure from Rhodes, and into the path of Isaac Lawrence, who smashed the ball home from close range.

It might have been two for Rovers almost straight after the restart, but Niall Priday didn’t properly connect with Jack Beardsell’s clever pass and Kaye made a comfortable save and the half-time whistle sounded with Pritchett’s side leading 1-0. Priday was forced off with a shoulder injury ten minutes into the second period, replaced by Antoine Thompson in a change that saw Bainbridge move into a more central role, and the change appeared to inject some attacking impetus into the visiting side, as Bainbridge had two attempts on goal within the next five minutes. Beardsell had been a constant threat to the hosts’ defence, from his position wide on the right, although when he went closest to extending his side’s lead, on 66 minutes, it was his header, from Prictor’s corner, that forced Ryan Barrett into a goalline clearance.

Bainbridge had another header on goal saved by Kaye, on 70 minutes, and he left the field shortly after, with Jerry Idwou taking his place. By now, Rovers were camped in their hosts’ half, save for the occasional attacking foray, although they were restricted to a handful of wayward shots that left Kaye a spectator. When Idowu was tackled strongly by by Pat Vernall, with five minutes remaining, there were pleas for a penalty, although it looked a far better tackle than one exhibited by the same Hardwicke player, a few moments later, when he made a lunging tackle on Beardsell. The match official waved away appeals on both occasions, and a moment or two of solid defensive work, as the hosts launched a late effort to find a way past the Rovers rear-guard, was needed to ensure that Rovers secured a win that will see them travelling to either Bitton or Almondsbury in the next round of the competition.

uhlsport football kituhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division

Binfield 4 Easington Sports 0 (Independent Report By Arthur Strand)

Binfield started the new decade with a stylish win over Easington Sports at home on Saturday. The visitors were a few places below Binfield in the League table but got off to a start although the game swayed towards Easington's end where George Short forced a corner for the Moles. It was the following corner kick for Binfield that Josh Helmore turned into goal on 4 minutes, also encouraging a quick return when Elliot Legg from the halfway line sent the ball upfield to Sean Moore whose effort was saved at the far post by Adam Rimmer. Easington broke into the Moles area but Chris Grace had a comfortable save then Legg sent the ball forward where Josh Howell was able to add his second after a mere 8 minutes had been played. After starting off again, Easington's skipper, Joe Eyre, ran on to a long ball but Grace ended up with the ball. n the middle of the fitch, Tom Melledew took a free kick which turned into a corner kick for the Moles. At this juncture, two Easington players clashed heads and there was an injury stoppage, cuts meant blood and the shirts were changed. Josh Rose took number 15 and Joe Coleman 17.. Play underway once more saw Jack Dunmall over into the area but defenders cleared the ball away but Binfield managed another attempt which was saved by Rimmer and, taking advantage of possession Easington countered but were adjudged offside. Moles were back into action in the front line and Calam Gallimore nodded the ball which Rimmer prevented from landing in the net. The following moves by Binfield and some good passing made the first move stopped by offside, the second move along the right wing went to keeper, Rimmer and thirdly a corner kick which Calam Gallimore reached with his head on the 29th minute to extend the lead to 3 - 0. Straight back and another Moles' corner from which Josh Howell received the ball just outside the area and drilled it low at the far post but missed. A corner cropped up again and Rimmer finger tipped the ball over the bar. Easington then took a corner but Liam Gavin cleared the ball out of danger. s half time was in the offing, Sean Moore was able to take a shot, low and long but Rimmer made the save. He had an urgent rush to the loose ball but cleared it anyhow. Helmore was denied his hat-trick then the whistle blew for the break.

The second half was full of good intentions but only the one goal materialised and this time, Josh Howell added the 4th in the 49th minute. It looked like Easington were finding difficulties with scoring and replaced Henry Rose with Luke Swann a couple of minutes after the restart. Piers Walton took a shot which Grace saved. Sean Moore had a shot which curled away over Rimmer's crossbar. The visitors replaced Dunmall with Jack Fountain. Moles continued to attempt another goal but Rimmer tipped the ball onto the underside of the bar and it bounced out into the field of play.During that passage of time the Moles did everything except score again so Jamie McClurg was replaced by Kennie Chamberlain and business continued as usual as Josh Howell fired on target but Rimmer dealt with it. Binfield then made a second substitution when Tom Melledew made way for Asa Povey. Easington defenders were kept busy as Moles pecked away then Josh Howell let a hard shot go but it was too high and a few minutes later Jemel Johnson came on as his replacement. Binfield had used up all substitutes and had less than a quarter of an hour of play left Helmore passed along the ball but the shot flew over the crossbar and the next highlight was when a Binfield player was injured and the referee blew the whistle for a free kick as the ball went easily into the back of the net. Goal disallowed and the free kick amounted to nothing. No more goals but 3 points to the Moles who have reached 3rd place with 2 games in hand over Fairford Town in 2nd place and 3 games in hand over League leaders, Westfields.

Binfield : Grace, (GK), Thomson-Wheeler, Legg, Melladew, Gavin, Gallimore, Howell, McClurg, Moore (c), Short, Helmore. Substitutes: J.Johnson, Shaw, Chamberlain, Ovey, Veal.

Virginia Water 4 Holmer Green 0

VW started the New Year with an impressive win and performance against a very gutsy Holmer Green side, who battled as hard as they could during an entertaining encounter at Stag Meadow.

The home side went ahead on 22 minutes, when Jake Baker prodded home from close range, after the ball rebounded off the post from one of many corners. We could and should have added to the lead, with two efforts hitting the bar and their keeper in fine form. On 39 minutes the lead was eventually doubled, when Matt hit a long clearance to Dale Wright, who ran through on the keeper, and slotted home. If it were not for another terrific save by their keeper, Dale could have had a second after a great volley, that was tipped just over. We looked fairly comfortable in defence, and held a 2-0 HT lead.

At the start of the second half, the visitors were denied a goal, when Josh Hennah blocked a shot with a last ditch tackle. This spurred Waters into action, and the game become much closer for a period, with the home side under a little pressure, even if looking to counter at every opportunity. On 65 minutes Jack Hall was introduced back to action following a long injury, and made an immediate impact, with his pinpoint cross being turned in by Josh Dillon. Soon after, the excellent Josh Hennah beat a few players out wide on the left, and crossed for Jack to score one for himself, and put VW 4-0 up on 71 minutes.

It could have been a couple more with Dale and Josh Dillon having goals disallowed, and the brilliant Jack Simmons being denied by the post late on from a direct free kick. A big three points, and of course, we wish Holmer Green well for the remainder of the season, in their fight to climb the table.

Westfields 3 Royal Wootton Bassett Town 2

Westfields extended their lead at the top of the uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division with a hard-fought 3-2 home win over visiting Royal Wootton Bassett.  Westfields, who won 6-1 away at Wootton Bassett in September, found the visitors a much stronger unit and Westfields had to battle all the way to secure the 3 points as the visitors showed far more endeavour and gave a gritty performance. 

Westfields had to overcome the fact that they lost goalkeeper Joe Gorman on the hour and without a substitute keeper on the bench Westfields’ defender Kane Kahaki went in goal and had to work hard to assist his defence in securing all 3 points. 

Earlier, Westfields had started the game with a dream start when Ben Miller put a curling shot into the net in only the first minute to give Westfields the lead but the visitors came storming back when Mark Francis pulled a goal back on the half hour.  Westfields then restored their advantage when Cameron Peters seized on an opportunity in the 6yd box to put Westfields back 2-1 in front at the break. 

After the interval Westfields found the visitors much more forthright as they came looking for an equaliser but when Westfields lost Gorman on the hour they had to reshuffle the side with Kahaki taking the gloves and the green jersey and substitute central defender Paul Hurrell coming in to play alongside Ryan Green. 

It was slightly against the run of play that Westfields went 3-1 ahead when they burst forward and Aidan Thomas rifled home a shot from 15yds into the bottom corner of the net to give Westfields a 3-1 lead.  The home side, urged on by 162 home spectators, then had to defend well and twice Ollie Butler and Ryan Green got in good tackles to keep the visitors at bay but Mark Francis then pulled a goal back on 80 minutes when he rifled home a shot from just inside the penalty area. 

Westfields then lived dangerously and only a saving tackle by Sam Gwynne and a quick clearance up front eased the pressure before Kahaki was called into action again when he fisted clear a long-range free-kick as the visitors threw everything into the attack. Westfields kept up the pressure with excellent defending as Ollie Butler twice made great tackles to prevent further pressure. Westfields resisted the pressure thrown at them by the visitors to record a fine 3-2 home win and a Hellenic League double against Royal Wootton Bassett. 

Westfields now travel to Tuffley Rovers on Tuesday night and then make the long trip to the outskirts of London on Saturday to play Windsor as they enter the second half of the season. 


Division One East

Didcot Town Development 1 Marlow United  1 (Marlow View)

Marlow battled hard to come away from Didcot with a point as a much changed team deservedly shared the spoils. They could well have taken the spoils on the day as glorious chances went begging in added on time with Liam Bushay being foiled by keeper Baldock followed by Bradley Holland who was unable to find any power from a cross by Al Mckie from point blank range and Chris Hurst unable to connect when well placed. 

Marlow began the game in style with Liam Bushey opening the scoring on 5 minutes collecting a through ball from Qwam Thomas before stretching the Didcot back line and firing the ball past a stranded Baldock. Marlow with new signing Daniel Blatchford making his debut on the right of midfield looked comfortable throughout most of the first half on a difficult surface restricting the hosts as they did to a single effort in the first half hour. Liam Bushay playing a lone roll up front was a constant threat to the Didcot back line although he often lacked any support as United packed the midfield. 

With the half running out the hosts were given a life line with Qwam Thomas, playing in an un familiar full back role loosing control of a bouncing ball that saw keeper Cannings bringing down Didcot's Walton as he bore down on goal. 
The keeper received a caution for his troubles before Walton stepped up to take the resultant spot kick. Cannings made a superb save diving full stretch to his left only to watch as Walton followed up to fire home the rebound. 

United switched things around at half time with Cuva replacing the injured Prudden and Holland moving into the centre of defence and Hardie into midfield.  Didcot came into the game as an attacking force as the half progressed with Hamilton looking dangerous, Cannings diving to foil the same player on 50 minutes as the hosts looked to take the initiative . 

Overall Marlow were forced onto the back foot with Cannings certainly the busier of the two custodians but the defence stood firm and one could only admire the work rate of the team as a whole as they dug in to ensure they earned at least a point and stopped the recent run of defeats.  Blatchford was replaced, his race run on 70 minutes by 16 year old Charlie Flint as Marlow looked for fresh legs in midfield. 

Adam Dickens was introduced for Rake with 5 minutes remaining and as added time was played the visitors created those three opportunities which on another day could well have snatched the three points, Baldock saving low down from Bushey and Holland and Hurst unable to find the net.  Marlow travel to Kidlington on Tuesday in the Floodlit Cup ko 7:45 before a visit to Milton United next Saturday. 

Marlow United : Cannings, Holland, Thomas, Mckie, Hardie, Blatchford, Davis, Rake, Hurst, Bushey, Prudden. Subs, Cuva, C Flint, A Dickens 

Risborough Rangers  4  Long Crendon  0 

Risborough Rangers hosted local rivals Long Crendon at the BEP Stadium  in the knowledge that the visitors had won their last four games, scoring 24 goals in the process whilst only conceding two. With Long Crendon anxious to avenge the one nil defeat inflicted on them by the hosts at Marston Road earlier in the season the crowd of 125 might have expected a tight game. The first half turned out to be just that with both sides having chances, the first falling to Rangers after Josh Fox fed Adam Morris, whose shot was well saved. Moments later Crendon hit back with a shot just wide of Jack Brooker's goal. Rangers retaliated as Morris' cross-field pass was volleyed straight at the Crendon keeper by Marcus Wyllie. Sam Pekun joined in, cutting in from the left to shoot straight at the keeper also. A quarter of the game in and Brooker spilled a catch and Bertie Squire-Adams had to clear under pressure as Crendon threatened. At the other end Brian Haule's header was easy for the keeper before another good break from the home side saw Fox's fierce shot well saved by the keepers feet. With ten minutes to the break Long Crendon had their best chance of the game after a mix up in the Rangers defence saw Brooker lobbed, only for Josh Urquart to clear off the line to save Rangers' blushes. Rangers finished the half strongly with first Wyllie's low shot well saved and then Pekun shooting over from a good position after the keeper spilled the ball under pressure from Brian Haule. 

Rangers started the second half where they left off and within three minutes were in front. Pekun made a good run down the right beating his marker. His low cross was deflected into the path of Davis Haule who made no mistake from just inside the area. It was a deserved goal for the industrious Haule who had an excellent afternoon alongside Ben Hammond in the Rangers midfield. Three minutes later and brother Brian headed just over from Wyllie's cross. The rangy striker was again in the action shooting straight at the keeper from a tight angle and soon after he got his 22nd goal of the season after the tricky Pekun again beat his man, before cutting the ball back for the number nine to smash home. The league leaders soon added a third after a mix up between a Crendon defender and the Keeper saw him stranded outside his area with Wyllie having the simplest of chances, rolling the ball into the empty net from 18 yards. Rangers looked content to soak up a little pressure as Crendon tried to rally, but with skipper Joel Read marshaling his back four, the visitors chances were limited. Rangers continued to create on the break as the game entered the final 10 minutes, with some clever work by Kyle Faulkner setting up Wyllie, whose turn and shot was just wide. Crendon forced a corner soon after, with the final ball being hit into the Rangers side netting. Rangers threatened again when Wyllie and Faulkner again combined before Faulkner shot into the keepers arms. With five minutes remaining the best move of the game came when the excellent Hammond found Brian Haule who in turn found Wyllie. Wyllie slipped the ball to Faulkner who was denied by some great goalkeeping, saving at his feet. Moments later Hammond's free kick found the head of Faulkner who glanced the ball just wide of the target. Risborough finally got their fourth with two minutes remaining after Read's header smashed against the cross-bar and Wyllie got his second, rifling home the rebound. There was just enough time for Long Crendon to register a final shot when they were awarded a free kick 20 yards out, but the shot flew high over the bar, ensuring that Rangers registered another clean sheet. This was a thoroughly professional job by Rangers as they moved four points clear at the top of the table, and good preparation as they look to face title challengers Holyport away next Saturday. 

Rangers Man of the Match: Ben Hammond. There were plenty of good performances to choose from, not least Ben's partner in the middle of the park, Davis Haule. But Hammo's work rate, range of passing and high tempo really caught the eye. A classy player who pulled the strings all afternoon! 

Division One West

Cheltenham Saracens 7 Clanfield 2 

A great start to the New Year for Cheltenham Saracens, after beating Clanfield 85 by 7 goals to 2. Things started out pretty evenly, with action at both ends. In the 15th minute, we were awarded a free kick, which Harlie Price stood up to take. He weighted the ball perfectly up and over Clanfield’s wall, but it turned out to be a comfortable save for their keeper. 

Our first goal came in the 17th minute when Price fought to stay on his feet despite several challenges. He fired the ball into the box and it struck Clanfield’s Josh Gibbens and went in. It looked as though it was heading in anyway, but the deflection certainly helped. Clanfield drew level just 5 minutes later when Jordi Mulvany fired a free kick into the box. Rory Linford-Pill met it and fired his shot into the bottom corner. Our keeper, Nick Jones, almost got a hand to it, but the ball slipped underneath him to level the score. We managed to regain our lead in the 28th minute when a shot from Jordan Bryan was blocked and went out for a corner. The corner came in from Sam Mason and was initially cleared by Clanfield, but it was played back into the box and headed in by Ben Tunnicliff. 

The 38th minute saw a good chance for us when Price cut the ball back into the box, but no one was there to meet it. Mason eventually picked up the loose ball, his shot was blocked but found its way to Adam Loveridge for a neat little tap in in the 39th minute. 3-1. Another chance for Sam Mason came less than a minute later when he managed to break free from the Clanfield defence, but his shot pulled just wide. Clanfield’s Jordi Mulvany, who set up their first goal, scored in the 40th minute to bring the score to 3-2 as we headed in for halftime. 

It looked like we might regret missing that chance late in the second half when Clanfield had us on the back foot for the first 10 minutes of the second half. Their purple patch didn’t last long, however, with their best chance coming in the 56th minute when they had a shot fire wide of goal.  Jordan Bryan broke in the 64th minute and found himself on his own against the Clanfield keeper. He absolutely hammered the ball past the keeper and into the back of the net, making our lead a more comfortable 4-2. 

The 77th minute saw the first of 2 quick fire goals for Sarries when sub Matt Magee fought hard to win the ball back from Clanfield. He kept hold of it and played a neat pass through to Bryan who powered past their defence and once again took on the Keeper. His right footed effort found the bottom corner of the goal, putting us 5-2 up. A minute later, we regained possession after the restart and the ball found its way to captain Harlie Price, who deftly headed the ball into the back of the net in the 78th minute. Despite looking pegged back early into the second half, we fought on and soon regained dominance.  Clanfield kept trying though, and Nick Jones was forced to make a couple of saves late on, his best coming in the 89th minute when an unmarked Clanfield man tore down the wing and fired away a shot. Jones palmed it over the crossbar for a corner, which fired straight at him to be saved again with ease. 

The 90+2 minute saw Josh Goodhall fight hard to win and keep hold of the ball. He played a superb ball through to Sam Mason who was waiting out on the wing. Mason’s cross into the box found the head of substitute Paul Holmes who headed the ball past the Keeper’s reach, onto the crossbar and it bounced back into the net for our 7th and final goal of the match. It really was a cracking goal, and much deserved, as Holmes had worked hard from the moment he came on the pitch.  Whilst things looked a little dicey for 10 minutes or so, Sarries soon regained composure and went on to score a further 4 goals, whilst not allowing anymore in. A great performance and a perfect start to the New Year, keeping our quest for promotion well within reach.  Match Report By Jemma Maeve 

MalvernTown 5 Stonehouse Town 0

Malvern started 2020 with a flourish following a commanding 5-0 victory over Stonehouse Town. The early action saw Louis Loader’s strike from distance headed clear before Kibble tried an ambitious effort for the visitors after picking up a loose ball in the middle of the park, but his attempt was off target. On the quarter-hour mark, Dave Reynolds linked up well with Matt Turner whose effort went inches wide. It wasn’t long before we took the lead when Reynolds hit the post and Turner was alert to the rebound to turn the ball home from close range.

As the visitors looked to hit back, Gale latched onto a long ball only to see his strike well saved by Chris Pinder, whilst at the other end, a neat move ended with Reynolds finding Harry Clark in space inside the area but he failed to guide his header goalwards. An inviting ball to the near post from George Hayes found Clark who was denied by a brave block, then Reynolds showed his strength to break into the area and get in a low strike that was saved. In the next raid, Clark did well to feed Reynolds whose shot on the turn was dragged inches wide.

We were well in command at this stage, but the visitors proved what a threat they could be when a probing ball into the area in search of Martin was well claimed by Pinder. As half-time approached, Reynolds and Hayes both rattled the woodwork in quick succession as we went in at the break well on top but with only one goal to show for it.

It didn’t take long after the restart for us to double our advantage when Hayes’ inviting low ball was gobbled up by Reynolds to make it 2-0. In the wake of the goal, Hayes almost benefitted from a poor clearance by the ‘keeper but a third goal wasn’t long in arriving when a beautifully slick move ended with Turner firing home beyond the despairing dive of the ‘keeper.

At the other end, Pinder denied Gale who then clashed with Sam Hunt as he cleared the rebound. On the hour, Clark crossed low for Turner who lifted the ball over from close range before Reynolds set up Turner who went close and then Bryan Craven was thwarted by the ‘keeper as we peppered the visitors’ goal. Some persistence from Hayes was rewarded as he planted the ball home in the 75th minute to extend our lead.

After his clearance was seized upon, Jordan Dibble, who was on to replace Pinder between the sticks, did well to deny Kibble. In the closing stages, Reynolds played through Evans whose initial effort was saved but he was alert to snap up the rebound and make it 5-0. At the death a low ball from Reynolds just missed Turner who was poised in front of goal and then Turner was denied by a double save in the last action as we made a positive start to the New Year.

Malvern Town : Pinder (Dibble 71), Smith, Hunt, Harris, Craven, Loader (Skidmore 84), Hayes (Fusco 78), Turner, Evans, Reynolds, Clark. Subs not used: Chowns-Higgs, Dyde.
GOAL(S): Turner (2), Reynolds, Hayes, Evans ATTENDANCE: 196.

uhlsport Hellenic League Chairmans Challenge Cup

Faringdon Town 3 Newent Town Reserves 3 

Faringdon Town progressed to the quarter final stage of the Chairman’s Challenge Cup, winning 3-1 on penalties following a hard fought 3-3 draw after ninety minutes with Newent Town Reserves. 

Town started quickly and took a 4th minute lead when Jack Green closed down a clearance and the ball fell to Sean Creeley wide on the left hand side. Creeley showed great skill to beat his marker, before outpacing the centre half and then hitting his shot high into the goal, past the keeper for a wonderful individual effort and a 1-0 lead. Town continued to dominate as they attacked the Playground End but failed to apply the finishing touch to many good opportunities. As the half came to a close, Newent had two good chances, but Andy Goodchild’s goal-line clearance and then a great save from Frankie Godwin in the Town goal, kept the score line at 1-0 as the half closed. 

Newent started the second period with 10 players, following a sinbin card being shown just as the opening half closed, but this didn’t appear to hamper them as they equalised on 51 minutes. A needless free kick was conceded on the Town left and it was swung into the Town penalty area. Two unmarked visiting attackers ran across the flight of the ball and this distracted Godwin who failed to gather the ball and the visitors were level. Town immediately responded though as Creeley went on another mazy run, before being upended in the Newent penalty area and a spot kick was awarded. Jason Evans dispatched the penalty with ease and Town were back in front. On the hour and it was 2-2, another cheap free kick was given away by Town in their own half and Godwin punched the retake whilst under pressure, the ball fell to the Newent player, who hooked his volley into the goal and it was game on! Town were struggling with the low sun, which was behind the Newent goal at the Folly View End of Tucker Park and the visitors were taking full advantage of Town mistakes and on 65 minutes they deservedly took the lead, as they were awarded a penalty of their own. Goodchild was adjudged to have pushed the attacker in the back, the spot kick was dispatched and the Forest of Dean men were 3-2 up. Town lost Ryan Bradbury for 10 minutes as he was sinbinned to hamper a Town fight back, but on his reappearance, Town changed formation and decided to go for broke. This paid dividends on 85 minutes when Goodchild made amends and finished well to draw Town level at 3-3. Just as normal time came to a close, Creeley was then sent to the sinbin himself, which with the game going to penalties, meant he could not take part in them. 

The spot kicks were duly taken at the Folly View End with Bradbury, Goodchild and Davenport dispatching their efforts for Town, whilst Forth and Green missed their’s, along with three Newent players for a Town 3-1 penalty victory.

Faringdon Town : F Godwin, A Rudman, A Lynham (Sub 62 S Saunders), M Pill, L Davenport, A Goodchild, R Bradbury, J Forth(c), J Evans (Sub 58 M Morris), S Creeley, J Green. 


Division Two West

Fairford Town Reserves 3 Shortwood United Development 4 (Shortwood View)

The start of the day could not of got any worse for the young Shortwood side. Already missing the keeper for the match another two key players in Harry Bennett and Tom Connor both fell ill leaving the team short. Left back Callum Scrivens once again stepped up for another stint between the post following his man of the match performance the week previous. 

The game started pretty even with both teams cancelling each other out.  Wood should have took the lead on 10 mins when some slick passing in the middle of the park between Fin Byrnes and Tom Leonard set Adam Philp free down the flank, his cross in to the box to be met by Aaron lowe who only had to side foot the ball home to give the wood the lead but his effort came back of the post. 

This seemed to give the young wood side confidence who then started to dominate the game and looked like scoring with every attack. Wood did take the lead on 28 mins through Adam Philp who with his high press put the Fairford defender under pressure winning the ball back just outside the area then powering into the box to slot under the on coming Town keeper. 0-1. 

Town leveled on 32 mins when a free kick in to the box was met by Chris Mills who had broke the wood line and his superb header left the keeper with no chance. 1-1 Wood didn't let the equalizer faze them and continued to play the better football and took the lead when the ref pointed to the spot on the stroke of half time for a handball. Up stepped captian Aaron Lowe to fire the ball home with conviction making up for the earlier miss. 1-2. 

The half time team talk was the easiest of the season so far for the wood management who couldn't not fault the efforts of the team in the first half. It was a simple as keep doing what you are doing, Enjoy it and go win this game for yourselves.  The second half started with Town on the up and pressing quickly to correct the mistakes of the first half and trying to gain a foothold in the game but it was wood who went further ahead when young striker Levi Mathews set the trap and then pressed high on the town full back creating the mistake. Winning the ball back mid way in to the town half he raced free and found his shot from a tight angle nestling in the bottom corner of the net. wood 1-3 

The score line didn't effect Town who kept coming at the young shortwood team and got there rewards on 72 mins through some delightful play, 2-3  Game on- With both teams still thinking they can win it and both teams creating chances this game could have gone either way but wood seemed the more composed team looking to see out the game and caught Town on the break. 

On 9)+4 minutes Fin Brynes who had worked his tirelessly all game found the energy to attack down the right flank beating 2 town defenders with his resulting ball into the box picked up by Ryan Carden who calmly beat his man slotting home to make it 2-4 to the Wood, With time still to play on the clock and the Shortwood management calling for time, Town still kept pressing and reduced the deficit once again with a volley from 25 yards, A goal that had to be applauded by all watching, 3-4  Thankfully the ref blew his whistle and that was the last play of the game, Wood earning their first win of the season. 

Letcombe 1 Highworth Town Reserves 0 ABANDONED AFTER ONE MINUTE

This game lasted exactly one minute. Letcombe attacked straight from the kick-off and had a chance after only 20 seconds, but Highworth keeper Arie Peursum turned the shot from new signing Oli Thorp round the post. The in-swinging corner from Josh Fowler was headed goal ward at the back post by James Wright, and the ball hit Fraser Little before entering the net with only sixty seconds played. Keeper Pearson remained on the ground with a back injury, and an ambulance was called. By the time it had arrived, the injured player had been assessed and carefully moved to the ambulance, it was 3.00pm. With no lights, and 89 minutes still to play, the referee abandoned the match as it could not have been completed in daylight.

A frustrating afternoon for Letcombe as they had the perfect start in this top of the table clash, but everyone at Letcombe hopes that Adie is not seriously injured and wish him a speedy recovery.