uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Hellenic League Match Report

1 September

Buildbase FA Vase First Round Qualifying

Wokingham & Emmbrook 2 Chipping Sodbury Town 1 (AET)
(Arthur Strand Independent Report)

The Suma’s (Wokingham) began the Buildbase FA Vase campaign at Lowther Road on Sunday with a strong line up. Chipping Sodbury are in the Toolstation Western Football League, Premier Division but the team is near the bottom after 5 games.

They started quite positively and not long after kick off watched the ball sail over the Suma's' cross bar. Liam Barrett took the first free kick for Chipping but Luke Scope put the ball through to Jake White who could not find the target. Chipping took a free kick and Woodward was able to move to his left to take the ball cleanly. Zyad Mohammed took a shot that went miles over the top to Chipping's disappointment and Sam Makepeace approached Woodward's goal from the flank and rattled the frame. Suma's regained possession and a very useful angled ball upfield caught the Chipping defence napping Jake White rounded the last man and the goal-keeper was badly out of position so Jake merely had a tap in.after 17minutes. After the restart, Nick Bateman took a free kick for the Suma's which saw the ball being nodded around the goal area of Chipping Sodbury with desperate attempts by defenders trying to clear the ball which eventually returned with Luke Scope near the upright but a goal kick ensued. Strong defending by Suma's prevented an equaliser but the two teams traded free kicks. After a hard tackle, Sean Woodward took the free kick out of his area and another brought Joe Commuskey into the game. Jake White attempted a header from Luke Scope's cross. Suma's mounted another attack but the counter gave the visitors a corner kick after the ball rebounded out over the goal line. Nick Bateman took a free kick and as half time loomed, a cracking shot after a promising move was deemed off-side.

The second half began with the visitors finding more enthusiasm than they had in the first half and entered Suma's' half briefly. However, Liam Eagle missed a chance at the Chipping end. then Dan Bateman made a substitution with Nick Bateman being replaced by Adam Edwards. Ruben Nuevao-Dryper took a free kick for Chipping which the defenders cleared Then Sam Makepeace allowed himself a slice of success with an equaliser in the 65th minute. Suma's retaliated immediately as Luke Scope combined with Jake white whose effort was saved by Ellis Parker and Ben Broadhurst sailed the ball high into the Chipping area.with the ball being cleared. Chipping removed Ruben Nuevao-Dryper before he overstepped the mark with the officials and he was replaced by Jonathan Invernizzi. Another Broadhurst free kick was saved by Parker. As 90 minutes loomed the yellow card was shown to Ben Chick then Connor Holland went a long run and Suma's eventually gained a corner kick and then Ben Chick saw a second yellow card which turned red. Chipping Sodbury's team was down to ten men. At full-time the scores were level at 1 - 1.

Extra time first half and Dan Bateman replaced Holland with Elliott Rushforth who joined the action straight away.as the ball from a corner kick went beyond all concerned. Some good football ensued as Chipping were never going to submit to pressure although reduced to 10 men The end game was intriging with no knowing if the visitors could break through and score. Elliott Rushforth put that idea out of their heads as the ball cracked into the back of the net and all the Suma's rejoiced as they had to carefully play out the remaining minutes chasing the ball down to the corner flag. With the final whistle, Wokingham & Emmbrook had arrived into the 2nd qualifying round of the F.A. Vase. v Thornbury Town. on September 14th. A great effort by all players on both sides and Suma's can be congratulated for the victory although there is a long road ahead.

Wokingham & Emmbrook 2 Chipping Sodbury Town 1 (AET) - Match Report Base of The Pyramid Blog

he opening encounters of the game were pretty even with the sides testing each other out and getting used to the fairly blustery conditions. We were 15 minutes into the match when Sods winger Jack Parker saw his shot come back off the post with Woodward beaten. To make matters worse, Sumas then immediately broke through the middle. A long ball caused some confusing between defence and goalkeeper allowing Jake White to benefit from the hesitation, take the ball around the keeper and slot it into an empty net. 1-0

The game then ebbed and flowed with both sides playing some good football. Luke Scope and Jake White were a constant thorn in the side of the Sods defence. The home defence looked well organised but had to be constantly on  guard to snuff out threats, especially from Sods captain Sam Makepiece and left-sided player Jack Parker. Just before half-time Sumas thought they had taken a two goal lead when, after a free-kick, Eagles' header was turned into the net only for the assistant to flag for offside.

A fairly even game across the park in terms of possession. However, the difference has been the forward lines. The Sumas' strikers caused all sort of problems for the Sods defence. The same coudln't be said at the other end. Chipping Sodbury were out early for the second half and immediately looked like they were on a mission to hit back early in the second half. Wokingham, however, were equal to the task, quelling any Sodbury storm before it even began. Maybe this led to complacency setting in because, after 10 minutes of the second period they suddenly seemed to take their foot off the peal and began to sit back deeper and deeper, allowing Chipping Sodbury to push forward. It was not a good tactic because on the hour mark they were made to pay. A superb, threaded pass from Nuevo-Draper, following a free-kick, put Makepiece through and the captain made no mistake wit the finish.

Conceding the goal seemed to shake Sumas from their slumber and we were then treated to a period where both sides were looking to get their noses in front again. Chipping Sodbury came very close to scoring again after 84 minuets when a shot crashed against Woodward's bar and flew to safety. Then, almost immediately after that incident The Sods found themselves down to 10 men when Ben Chick picked up a second yellow, presumably for something he said to the referee. To be fair, this had been coming. All through the game there had been some very strange decisions from the official and, especially in the second half, there were constant breaks for his whistle and for him to have a word with various players. I'm all for referees keeping a strong hold on games but this seemed to be overly picky to me and the players, on both sides, were getting more and more frustrated with the decisions. Sodbury saw out the remaining few minutes of normal time and we were set for an extra 30 minutes.
FT Wokingham & Emmbrook 1 Chipping Sodbury Town 1

The first half of extra-time passed with very little incident. To be fair to The Sods, going down to 10 men didn't seem to affect them too much, or maybe it should be said that Wokingham didn't take advantage of their extra number?
Whatever the case, the first 15 minutes of extra-time produced no change to the scoreline. Six minutes into the second period extra-time came the deciding moment of the game. A corner from the Sumas left was cleared only as far as Elliott Rushforth on the edge of the box. His low drive flew past Parker's out-stretched right-hand and hit the back of the net. 2-1. There was no coming back forChipping Sodbury after the goal. Heads didn't go down. They certainly gave it a go, but being down to 10 on a hot day after nearly 2 hours of football, there just wasn't enough left in their tank. Wokingham will now entertain Thornbury Town in the next round after the Gloucestershire side beat Cheltenham Saracens 6-2 on Saturday.

Wokingham & Emmbrook: Woodward, Carter, Broadhurst, C.Eagle, Day, L.Eagle(c), Harris, Bateman, Scope, White, Holland. Subs: Rushforth, Edwards, Guest, Dean, Byrne
Chipping Sodbury Town: Parker, McMillan, Barrett, Chick, Benzer, Nuevo-Draper, Burman, Brown, Muhammed, Makepiece(c), Parker. Subs: Invernizzi, Ahmed, Henderson, Naylor

Malvern Town 1 Pershore Town 1 (AET)

A hard fought local derby ended with honours even after extra-time as Malvern Town and Pershore Town played out a 1-1 draw in the Buildbase FA Vase.

Our opponents started the game with purpose and caused a couple of early problems with Seabourne placing a low effort inches wide in the ninth minute. There was a swirling wind that we having an effect on proceedings and we fell behind on the quarter-hour mark when Griffiths lashed the ball home after initially mis-kicking. Adam Sauntson was booked on the 20-minute mark as we conceded a free-kick out wide which clipped the top of the crossbar from Eminoglu as we battled to get into our stride following a nervy opening.

Our first sight of goal came just before the half-hour mark when a neat passage of play ended with a shooting chance opening up for Harry Clark but his effort was weak and easy for the ‘keeper. Straight away at the other end, Eminoglu tried his luck but he was off target. Curtis Smith was booked for a strong challenge on 33 minutes before an inviting pull-back into the danger zone by Matt Turner saw Kyonn Evans denied in front of goal by a timely block as we looked to get a foot-hold in the game.

We were desperately unlucky as half-time approached when Jamie Sauntson was strong to bring the ball out of defence and he linked up with Clark who in turn fed Turner whose strike hit the inside of the post and rebounded away from goal.

Trailing 1-0 at the break, we had Louis Loader booked early in the second period for obstruction as Ben Miller saw an effort saved. After Haydn Whitcombe did well to gather a low ball into the danger zone from Seabourne, Loader tried his luck from a free-kick out wide but curled the ball over. As we started to get some momentum, Clark was positive out wide as he linked up with Evans to create a shooting chance for Febery that was blocked.

We were reduced to ten men just passed the hour-mark when Loader was dismissed for a second bookable offence. There was a yellow card for Jay Sauntson as he brought down the marauding Hussain after Clarke had caused problems for the visitors as we managed to scramble clear in front of goal. There was a timely intervention to halt Turner’s progress as he looked to break through before Miller fired a free-kick from a good position into the defensive wall.

As the clock ticked down, Noke headed over for the visitors whilst at the other end, Clark cut inside and despite the close attentions of his marker, managed to get in a strike that was saved. The final minute saw us draw level when Sam Hunt fired home from a free-kick and as we pressed for a winner in stoppage time, our opponents had to defend in numbers as Miller was denied and then Clark saw an effort spilled by the ‘keeper with the loose ball scrambled clear.

It meant that the game went to extra-time and it was the visitors who started with the bit between their teeth as Whitcombe saved well in the opening couple of minutes and then Eminoglu put a good chance wide. Both sets of players were battling hard and Hayward’s marauding run out wide on the left ended with him running out of steam as he closed in on goal before Harry Wickett was denied by a timely challenge at the other end as he prepared to pull the trigger.

The final minute of the first period of extra-time saw Pinder fire over from a good position for the visitors. A second yellow card for Hussain meant that it was 10 v 10 for the closing stages of extra-time where genuine opportunities were at a premium with Pinder’s effort comfortably saved and header from Evans at the other end from Turner’s cross gathered by Gwynne. Right at the death, Matt Fusco came on for the injured Turner and straight away caused problems but the visitors managed to clear their lines as the game ended 1-1 with a replay set for Tuesday evening.

Malvern Town - Whitcombe, Smith (Hayes 76), Hunt, A Saunston, J Saunston (Craven 102), Febery (Wickett 71), Turner (Fusco 118), Loader, Evans, Miller, Clark. Sub not used: Hooper. BOOKED: A. Sauntson, Smith, J. Sauntson RED CARD: Loader GOAL(S): Hunt