header uhlsport link

14 October

uhlsport football kitPremier Division

Abingdon United 1 Tuffley Rovers (away view)
Tuffley Rovers were held to a draw on Saturday by nine man Abingdon United, as their indifferent Uhlsport Hellenic League, Premier Division form continued. Aside from a win against Lydney Town two weeks previously, Mark Pritchett’s team have only accumulated one point since 28 August and their problems were compounded ahead of the game, when they arrived at Northcourt Stadium without injured keeper/captain Dave Evans, who will be missing for six weeks with a dislocated finger, resulting in emergency signing Peter Davies being included in goal. There was also a debut for Ashley Bird, who had been transferred from Brimscombe & Thrupp, whilst exciting prospect Kieran Alder once again started in an attacking midfield role.

As has been the case in several recent fixtures, Rovers started brightly, stringing together some well-paced passing moves, on an excellent surface, that look capable of testing their hosts. However, as has also been evident in recent weeks, for all their possession, Rovers didn’t test Daniel Savin in the Abingdon United goal during the early stages of the game. Liam Wright, playing in an unfamiliar left-back role, was the first to test Savin, as he ended a mazy run with a fierce shot on goal, after 15 minutes, but the Abingdon United keeper was equal to the task and beat the ball away from goal. Another consistent feature of Rovers’ play in recent weeks has been an ability to concede a goal when they’ve been on-top and the pattern arose again, on 21 minutes, as James Organ found space to head past Davies, from close range, as he met Adam French’s well-delivered free-kick.

Opportunities came and went for Rovers, as Shayne Anson, back in the squad after several weeks out with a groin injury, headed wide from a Warren Mann corner, before Kieran Alder’s set-piece almost dipped inside the far post, with Savin helpless to keep it out. French, who had been busy in the centre for the hosts, had already been booked by referee James Barry and shortly before the interval he saw red, for a second caution, when he fouled Alder 25 yards from goal. Danny Wallington struck the resultant free-kick wide of goal and the hosts’ lead remained intact when the sides reached the half-time interval a few moments later.

Seven minutes into the second half, Bird was presented with a good chance to open his account for Rovers, after Pritchett had challenged to win Anson’s cross, but the young striker volleyed two yards wide of goal from a difficult angle. Bird then headed against the top of the bar on 66 minutes, before Wright saw another fiercely struck effort swerve wide, four minutes later, as Pritchett’s side started to press their opponents back. It wasn’t one-way traffic and Davies had to save well from Ryan Barney, to keep the score at 1-0, and then Callum Harvey wasted a glorious chance, having rounded Davies, taking far too long to produce a shot and allowing Macaulay Herbert time to recover ground and produce a block. Having already sent on Shayne Bradley, Rovers added another striker to the game, with the introduction of Chris Manners and he almost scored immediately, after collecting an excellent pass from Alder, but he took too long to shoot and Savin was able to block. Alder was an influential figure and it was from his corner that Rovers were given an opportunity to restore parity. Joel White met a ball swung to the back post and when Mann’s shot, from four yards, was blocked on the line, referee Mr Barry determined a handball by Kyle Moss and Abingdon United were reduced to nine men. Mann stepped up to convert from the spot.

Rovers were now dominant but the profligacy which has haunted their recent fixtures continued, with Bradley guilty of an extraordinary miss, turning Brett James’ cross over from close range, with the goal at his mercy. This was James’ last contribution of note, as he became the third player to see red, dismissed for a second caution after making a needless, late challenge on the half-way line. Whilst Rovers laid siege to the Abingdon goal, Savin was largely untested and when, in the dying moments, Mann was presented with a final chance, he headed over, under pressure, from three yards, as the game ended with scores level.

Ascot United 1 Brackley Town Saints 2
Louis Bouwers harshly endured an afternoon to forget as he was sent off in Ascot United’s 2-1 home defeat against Brackley Town Saints. The club captain was wrongly booked early on, kicked and wrestled in the middle, and shown a second yellow card at the end, to cap a highly frustrating display from the Yellamen. Bouwers’ calm reaction to his dismissal belied the torture he had endured in the previous 93 minutes. His chief antagonist – Brackley defender Joe Ward – mixed occasionally superb defending with a highly risky wrestling approach to defending, which also played on the leniency of those around him.
Both sides had won three of thirteen matches leading into the game, and although a glut of draws had taken Brackley into a mid-table position four points above Ascot, it was the latter who came into the game boasting the better recent form.
However, it was the visitors who would enjoy the better of the first half, and they would be two-nil ahead with barely a quarter of the game played. Before their goals, Mo Davies had chipped over for Ascot when well placed after just seven minutes, but the visitors responded immediately and Chris Jordan fired narrowly over when the ball had broken to him following Bouwers’ goal-line clearance from Matt Johnson’s shot.
Dean March’s incisive pass set Jordan clear in the 10th minute, and even though Ascot’s James Goodey had done the hard work in tracking back, he then fouled Jordan who followed up his own penalty – a weak effort that Allen had saved – to stab into the bottom right. At the other end, Cameron Gyeabour saw Dan Farrell smother a shot when through on goal before Gyeabour’s follow up was cleared off the line, but Jordan added a 22nd minute second – again at the 2nd attempt – when he stabbed home after Allen had instinctively saved his initial attempt.
Ascot huffed and puffed in the remainder of the half, but never looked like scoring before the interval after being snuffed out by their energetic visitors. Saints might have added a third early in the second half when James Hammonds’ bullet header from a corner whistled narrowly over, before George Lock’s goal-line clearance shortly afterwards saved Ascot once again. Alex Scott then failed to flick home after Allen had saved on 57 minutes, and after Ascot had made their remaining two substitutions, they finally began to threaten.
Goodey found the angle against him after rounding Farrell in the 72nd minute – a corner his only reward for a shot from a tight angle – but the ever- eager striker would score a superb effort moments later when his long-range effort sailed into the top right hand corner after latching onto Samir Regragui’s pass and blasting home from outside the area.
As the home side pressed for an equaliser, substitutes Callum Carlisle and Louie Gilpen missed with a header and left footed effort respectively, before Bouwers’ creditable and gracious 93rd minute walk to the changing room capped his side’s afternoon.

Ascot United 1 Brackley Town Saints 2 (away view)
The Hellenic Premier leagues two youngest sides met for the first time this season at Ascot's impressive Racecourse Ground and served up an enthralling encounter which could have been wrapped up by Saints well before the late second half revival by the home side following James Goodey's wonderful strike that game them a lifeline.

The first chance of the game, after just 5 minutes, fell to the home side but their striker's chip shot dropped just over Saints keeper Dan Farrell's crossbar. Stirred by the missed chance Saints responded well with chances coming from a Matt Johnson dribble into the Ascot penalty area and good interplay from Alex Stott and Chris Jordan but the hosts keeper was able to save both efforts comfortably.  Saints took the lead with 10 minutes played when Chris Jordan was pulled to the ground inside the Ascot penalty area. Jordan picked himself up and took the penalty but his shot was pushed out by the keeper, fortunately for the Saints striker he was able to get to the loose ball first and made no mistake with the finish, 0 – 1.  Although, chances were coming and going at both ends of the pitch the visitors looked the more likely team to get the next goal and so it was when Ascot failed to clear a Saints corner and attacking midfielder James Hammond reacted quickest to get to the ball and drive home the second, 0 – 2. 

Buoyed by their 2 goal lead Saints started the second half in a confident manner. Centre back Joe Ward was unlucky to see his excellent header from Matt Johnson's corner go just over and shortly afterwards his central defensive partner Dean March went even closer from another Saints corner but Ascot's keeper pulled off an excellent save. 

This was a good period for Saints, playing somewhere near their creative best they created numerous chances but a mixture of good defending and wastefulness of the final pass meant that they couldn't kill off the game.  Ascot, having resisted the Saints pressure, caused confusion for the visitors defence when a long ball clearance almost dropped at the feet of an attacker but keeper Dan Farrell reacted well to concede a corner. Moments later, with 15 minutes remaining, Ascot's James Goodey worked space for himself just outside the Saints penalty area and beat Farrell with a fantastic strike to set up a nervous finish to the game for the visitors, 1 – 2.  Fortunately for Saints they were able to see the remaining minutes out safely and, right at the end, midfielder James Watts would have broken clear with a chance to get a 3rd if not stopped by a late challenge from Ascot's Louis Bouwers which saw the centre-back receive a 2nd yellow followed by the inevitable red card.

For the fans this was an excellent afternoons football and both clubs should be applauded for giving some talented young footballers the opportunity to play and learn the game at this level. Perhaps the difference between the two teams on the day was that Saints manager Gordon Kille was able to include in his young side a number of players who have now played more than 70 games in the Hellenic Premier league and the knowledge and experience needed to take results when available is more developed than that of the home side. 

Brimscombe & Thrupp 3 Royal Wootton Bassett Town 0
Royal Wootton Bassett Town were looking for their 10th successive win when they faced a in-form Brimscombe & Thrupp side who beat Shortwood United Reserves, in a amazing 5-3 comeback game, during the week.

The Lilywhites started the better, when Sam Blackie fired in just 2 minutes into the game. Blackie was involved again when he forced the visitors goalkeeper into a fantastic save to deny his second from a volley from just outside the area. Jack Smith saw his effort beat the ‘keeper but also beat the post. With half time looming, Sam Blackie found himself on the scoresheet again after he brought down Lewis Skyers’ long ball before slotting it under the Bassett goalkeeper.

Jack Smith came close again just after the break but found his header wide of the mark. Ash Caldwell was replaced by Karl Nash before Nash put Ollie Pitt on goal but Pitt could only see his shot go over. Lee Bowles replaced Jack Smith. Nash dragged his shot wide before the final substitution saw Eli Simpson replace Ben Deakin. It was a fantastic ending to the game when Ollie Pitt played the ball across to Simpson who slotted into the empty net, in the 96th minute, for his first goal for the club.

Lydney Town 1 Woodley United 0 (away view)
United returned from their longest away trip of the season wondering how they did not have a least a share of the points in which they had more shots on target and corners won than their hosts who named their goal keeper Alex Harris as man of the match.

Lydney started the stronger forcing two corners in the opening two minutes that required both Idy Kamara and Michael Porter to head clear before United started to impose themselves on the game.  Danny Horscroft pulled a cross back along the goal line that was cleared for a corner while Porter headed a free kick over the home cross bar on nine minutes. Owen Davies and Sam Guze linked well nine minutes later before the danger was cleared and Davies saw a shot blocked half way through the half. Davies was enjoying a good spell as he picked up a Kamara header and found Guze whose goal line cross was handled by Harris. Greg Beckett saw a shot from the edge of the penalty area caught by Harris while a Jake Nicholl pass evaded Horscroft by inches to be intercepted by Harris.

Just after the half hour mark Keegan Hamblett fired a free kick into the Woodley wall but United finished the half strongly playing good passing football that saw Horscroft have a shot following a Davies pass blocked, Harris parry a Guze strike, Porter head a corner wide and a quick free kick by Horscroft see Harris block Greg Beckett’s attempt that was subsequently cleared for a throw in on the stroke of half time.

The first minute of the second half saw Davies’ run come to an end when fouled on the edge of the Lydney penalty area with Beckett’s free kick hitting the wall and being cleared.   The decisive goal came in the forty ninth minute when United’s back four was hesitant allowing Ross Gabriel to latch onto a through ball and lob the advancing Alex Reed and evade Joe Barley’s goal area attempt to clear the ball.

United continued to play well with Nicholls seeing a free kick cleared for a corner, Guze stumbling under pressure when in the penalty area and substitute Marvin Hinds electing to pass when in the home penalty area when a shot may have been a better option. A change of formation for the final fifteen minutes saw United continue to enjoy good possession but with Lydney defending well the visitors were unable to find the all-important equalising goal.

Windsor 3 Highmoor Ibis 1
Windsor recorded a second victory in 7 days over Reading side Highmoor Ibis this time in the League 3-1. Missing Barry Hayles, Ashley Smith, Andrew Ingram and Hugo Sobte, manager Mick Woodham was able to use his squad to its full potential and was not let down. Ricardo Cannon scored two first half goals on 8 and 36 minutes to give the hosts a comfortable lead at half time.

Ricardo Catlyn reduced the arrears for Highmoor just after the hour mark when from a corner he headed home. Windsor restored the 2 goal lead just 2 minutes later when a Paul Coyne corner was met be the head of Haydon Clack. A note re referee Dan Jacobs who controlled the match throughout well.

One East

Holyport 3 Aldermaston 2
It took a workman like performance to gain the three points on Saturday as Holyport should have ended any chance of the our visitors making a come back. Holyport started the game in fine form, with a 352 formation it was the two wing backs who teamed up on 4 minutes to give Holyport the lead. A great move involving a host of passes finally found Ovens who delivered a great cross to Bradley at the far post, Bradley made no mistake and powered his header home to give Holyport the perfect start.

As is often the case with such early goals it sparked life into Aldermaston and their most dangerous player – 8 started the dictate play as he dropped into the spaces between the lines. With the game going back and forth on 15 minutes, Tackley had time to bring the ball down and on the turn hit a great dipping volley which found the top corner and left Sangha with no chance. Port found their feet again and Driffill was starting to create trouble with his mazy runs, one such run lead to a corner. The corner fell to Defranco who from 6 yards out could only put his volley wide. Another Driffill run lead to a penalty on 33 minutes, skipping past the defender and heading to the byline he was hacked down and Feaver duly despatched the penalty to give Port the lead. Aldermaston had lost their creativity by this point and Holyport were dealing with their threat, HT came with Port leading 2-1.

The second half was similar to the first as Holyport created the better chances, on 55 minutes along throw from Ensby was not cleared and Evans showed great ability in producing an overhead kick from 6 yards out which left the goalkeeper no chance. With Holyport leading 3-1 it was plain sailing until the 80th minute as Holyport got undone down the left hand side.

The winger delivered a great cross across the six yard box and the right midfielder smashed it home at the far post. For the next five minutes Aldermaston piled forward and Holyport lost all their composure. A deflected effort cross/shot saw Sangha called into action. Holyport slowly found their feet again and Nicholls went through one on one but the keeper saved well and Forisky's follow up effort was also blocked. A good three points as we move on to Cup action on Tuesday at home to Chinnor.

Thame Rangers 1 Wokingham 0

Thame Rangers complete their third 1-0 victory in succession with a Patrick Buston 30 yard strike that left the visiting keeper stranded.

The first half belonged to Thame but it was clear that Wokingham posed a threat going forward. Patrick Buston and Abdi Farah enjoyed a lot of the ball but the visiting keeper handled their efforts well. The first clear cut chance fell to Charlie Attwell. Attwell came in from the right and found himself in unfamiliar territory, being one on one with the keeper. He placed his effort just wide of the near post. The next effort fell to Dan Hatton after a neat move down the right, but his left footed clean strike was well saved. More efforts from Buston, Farah and Hatton failed to break the deadlock before the half ended, and a timely reminder just before the break showing how dangerous Wokingham could be as the visiting striker scooped the ball over the bar from the edge of the box.

The second half was more even as Wokingham looked to get back in the game. They had their best opportunity and only registered shot on target on 50 minutes but the alert Dan Lynn got back to cover and blocked a shot on the line to keep the score level. Efforts at both ends failed to break the deadlock until on 72 minutes when the goal came. It was only a matter of time that a Thame forward would be released as Wokingham kept a high dangerous back line. James keeble’s first time pass put Buston clean through. The visiting keeper came off his line to shut Buston down when he probably should have stayed put. Buston lobbed him from 30 yards leaving him stranded to what would be the only goal of the game. On 85 minutes Thame were awarded a penalty when Harry Hawes was scythed down from behind as he was pulling the trigger. Buston blasted home only for the referee to ask for a retake for encroachment. His second effort was saved but should have been retaken for the same offence but wasn’t. The game then was well managed on the pitch by Thame Rangers and ended without further incident.

One West

Headington Amateurs 4 Cheltenham Saracens 0
After successive defeats in league & cup Headington recovered form in style with this four goal win against a side that were third in the Uhlsport One West table at start of play.

With Harry Jenkins called to work & named as a substitute, forward Yannick Nkwanyuo, who had not featured since injury in the first game of the season, donned the ‘keepers gloves. Any worries over this were dispelled as the game progressed with Nkwanyuo dealing confidently with everything that he had to. After initial probing from both sides Headington took a sixteenth minute lead through young centre forward Henry Bone. Anthony Mawema, making his full debut, & Kyle Harris-Steele worked the ball in from the right wing, Bone controlling Mawema’s cross & turning to fire home from eight yards. Bone had a second eight minutes later after winning a tussle on the left wing & cutting in before stroking a fine shot across Elliot Roberts in the Saracens goal. Despite having to deal with some dangerous set pieces Headington were well worth their half time lead.

A third goal for the home side arrived so quickly in the second half that many people missed it! Unofficially timed at five seconds Mawema’s through ball found Chris Peck racing through the middle before sliding the ball wide of the advancing Roberts. Nkwanyuo made a good stop from Saracens Jamie Jones before Sam Gordon & Ollie Zaja set Peck clear again but he dragged his effort wide. With the hour mark approaching Headington put the seal on the points, Zaja following up to net from close range after Peck’s fierce free kick was blocked but not cleared.

Tytherington Rocks 3 Woodstcok Town 4
Saturday's Hellenic League Div 1 (West) match at the Hardwicke Field was preceded by a minutes silence in memory of Frank Nelmes who died recently. Frank had been a loyal long serving player and latterly active supporter of Tytherington Rocks Football Club, and will be missed by everyone associated with Tytherington Rocks FC. Games between Tytherington Rocks and Woodstock Town have always been keenly contested and this season's first meeting was no exception, when the visitors to the Hardwicke Field narrowly beat Tytherington by 4 goals to 3.

Woodstock signalled their intention to attack, when, within the first minute, forward Ollie Hawkins volleyed over the crossbar from just outside the 6 yd box. However, on 7 mins the same player gratefully accepted a simple header to open the scoring for the visitors. The Rocks no1 was kept the busier of the 2 goalkeepers during the first quarter of the game but after a promising period of pressure by the home team the Woodstock keeper was wrong-footed by a Rocks attacker who rolled the ball towards an empty net only to see a defender gallantly clear his line.
A second headed goal, on 27 minutes by Callum Green, doubled the visitor's lead and the same player added his second and Woodstock's third just before the interval. There was still time, before the break, for a clever overhead kick by Hawkins which narrowly missed its target, leaving the score at 0:3.
The Rocks weathered some early second half pressure before Eboue Touray reduced the lead with a well driven penalty on 53 mins. Both teams spent much of the second half controlling their respective penalty areas, but the deadlock was broken when Jordan Walker drilled the ball home with 75 mins gone,to narrow the scoreline to 2:3
The home spectators heightened anticipation was short-lived however, when on 78mins Woodstock's Kevin Davies met a cross from the right for the visitor's 4th goal. Undaunted Rocks were rewarded for their endeavour in the last quarter of the game when Jordan Walker took the ball round the Woodstock keeper for his second goal on 88 mins. In added time following an earlier stoppage, the home team had several
chances to level the game, without success. Although beaten again, this time by the odd goal in seven, Tytherington had produced a spirited performance.

Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy

Chalfont Wasps 2 Chalvey Sports 4
A game of two halves saw Wasps depart this season's Bucks & Berks competition. Wasps created the better chances and stood firm when under pressure in the first half to earn a 2-0 lead at the interval. The match had a good tempo throughout. Mikey Benning had the first opportunity after only 4 minutes. 3 minutes later he forced a good stop from a cross shot by the visiting keeper but this time Chris Hurst was on hand to finish off the rebound. 1-0 7 Mins. It was soon 2-0. A Brad Holt free kick was headed some by big centre back Joe Dulieu. Wasps were comfortable at this stage and knocking the ball around with confidence. A Benning header went wide, a Garluwa Sandy run into the danger area was snuffed out at the last second, and Hurst fired only inches wide on the angle. However, Chalvey were still in it and continued to work hard to reduce the deficit – a sign of things to come.

Chalvey had the initiative as the second period got under way. Mark Sweeney in the Wasps goal made a couple of smart stops early on. Wasps sat deep and Chalvey relished the space on offer in midfield. Wasps broke forwards now and again, Benning went close, but Chalvey were now enjoying the lion share of possession. Carlton Chisambara made it 2-1 after 59 minutes. At the other end Hurst’s shot skimmed the paint work and skipper Ryan Sweales sweetly struck long ranger whistled just over. Kyle Rochford made it 2-2 with 20 minutes remaining. Wasps were now up against a team with the wind in their sails. It was 2-3 after 86 mins, Brain Taylor netting for the visitors. Michael Green picked up a second yellow, Wasps went down to 10, and Latiff Moore got Chalvey’s fourth in the dying seconds.   

Letcombe 5 Kennington Athletic 1
Letcombe easily overcame their Oxfordshire Senior League opponents, but the first half was very even. Letcombe had the perfect start with a goal after only 16 seconds. Conor Lynch beat his full back wide on the right, and his low driven cross was sliced into his own net by a defender. Kennington were level after 5 minutes when former Letcombe junior Frankie Merola took advantage of a square home defence to race away and lob the ball over Charlie McCready`s head. Sam Bailey had to leave the field after a late challenge on 16 minutes, and Letcombe exacted their revenge when Shemar Pettet scored from close range following the resulting free kick. Kennington always looked dangerous from Frankie Merola`s long throws, with no Letcombe defender commanding the ball in the air, and they just managed to scramble the ball clear on a number of occasions. Ben Hummell shot wide after an interchange of passes with Russell Benham had opened up the visiting defence, who cleared a goal-bound shot off the line in the last minute of the half to keep the interval score at 2-1.

Letcombe dominated the second half, and went further ahead when Harry Monger volleyed home a cross from Russell Benham at the far post. Adam Bruce added a fourth with ten minutes remaining, deftly flicking home a great pass from young substitute Zachary Pettifer, who was making his first team debut. Bruce added another two minutes later when the Kennington keeper mis-kicked a clearance, giving the ball straight to Bruce who placed it in the empty net to complete a comfortable victory.

Penn & Tylers Green 7 Cookham Dean 0
Penn & Tylers Green progressed to round three of the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy with an emphatic 7-0 win over Cookham Dean from the Thames Valley Premier League. Fred Tripp, the Penn centre forward, had a memorable afternoon, putting it mildly, by netting all five second half goals for his team!

The result, although convincing in the end, does not tell the real story as in the first half Cookham Dean certainly made a game of it. After 10 minutes, with the score at 0-0, a thunderous shot from the Cookham forward rattled the Penn post from all of 25 yards following a corner. Penn responded with a couple of shots from Jamie West and George Weller which were both well over the bar. Cookham responded with their own well-crafted counter attacks and had a couple of dangerous corners in quick succession which were thwarted by the Penn defence. With thirty minutes gone an excellent move by Penn across the midfield orchestrated by skipper Adam Davies resulted in releasing Josh Fox into the penalty area and his left foot “stinger” blasted into the side netting. Cookham responded positively and on 38 minutes a good move released their forward and his effort produced a good save with his feet from the Penn goalkeeper Josh Cockerill.  On 40 minutes the breakthrough for the boys in blue & white arrived when a needless foul on Penn’s excellent centre back Brad Holland who was facing away from goal following a corner resulted in an obvious penalty. Up stepped a confident George Weller to send the Cookham goalkeeper the wrong way and put Penn 1-0 to the good. Everyone expected that to be the half time score, but that was not to be, as in the 44th minute Casey Bocarro went on a mazy run across the edge of the Cookham penalty area and played a perfect pass into the path of the onrushing Josh Fox who expertly side footed the ball past the goalkeeper’s dive and into the far corner to put Penn into the comfortable position of being 2-0 up at half time.

The second goal had obviously knocked the stuffing out of a resilient Cookham team and the second half was really a one-sided affair and actually became the “Fred Tripp Show “. On 60 minutes Danny Blatchford put in a low cross from the right which Fred Tripp slotted home from close range. 3-0. On 62 minutes a goal with a smidgen of food fortune arrived when an attempted overhead kick from Danny Blatchford luckily wrong stepped the Cookham defence and everyone else apart from the rampant Mr. Tripp who once again gave the goalkeeper no chance from eight yards, 4-0. On 62 Minutes George Weller and Danny Blatchford were replaced by Danny Jordan and Andy Harman. On 65 minutes Penn produced a stunning move when Josh Fox passed to Jamie West who moved the ball on to Danny Jordan down the left flank whose precision low cross was met by who else but that man Fred Tripp to tap in from 6 yards, 5-0. On 70 minutes with Penn now attacking at will Andy Harman progressed down the right flank and produced an inviting cross which Fred Tripp accepted with thanks and duly headed in decisively at the near post, 6-0. Cookham did manage a shot on goal on 80 minutes but the respite was short lived as, with 82 minutes gone, Fred Tripp completed a wonderful personal performance when he tapped in another cross from Casey Bocarro to complete the rout, 7-0.

The referee blew for time and everyone reflected on another excellent clinical performance from Penn and a fantastic five goal personal achievement for Fred Tripp.  Penn now take on Buckingham Athletic in Round three at Home on November 18th.

Sandhurst Town 2 Frontline 1 (report by Arthur Strand)
Frontline, from the East Berks League, were the visitors to Bottom Meadow this week and were an unknown quantity to take on at the ground. As the game began to settle down, Omar Riaz hit the post which Sandhurst took advantage of this by testing the defence of the visitors after the ball was cleared. As Dan Gosling sent the ball into the box Hamed Hussain, Goal keeper for Frontline, claimed the high, incoming ball The visitors then were awarded a free kick and as they took up the approach to the Fizzers' area, Sam Green cleared the ball high and away with Luke Burrows taking the ball further upfield into Frontline's backline territory. Freddie Barron was running in from the left flank, controlled the ball and steered the ball between post and Hussain in the 18th minute to put Sandhurst a goal up almost halfway through the first session. After feeling the sting, Frontline set about the task of seeking an equaliser but Sandhurst regained possession and Bobby Mitchell took a shot that rebounded his way but Frontline were able to get the ball away from goal although Sam Green prevented any further progress to that attack. Charlie Oakley began to make his presence felt but was thwarted by the Frontline defence who started a counter attack, intercepted by Sam Green. Captain Barnard pushed play upfield again and Dan Gosling took a shot, direct to Hussain, goalkeeper for Frontline. Free kick for a foul on Barron but Hussain took the high ball before Frontline gained a free kick. The next phase of play saw Matt Wright send the ball over to Charlie Oakley who could not get the finish that he loves to celebrate. However, with the interval looming up, Frontline made a left wing break and Matt Wright attempted to deal with it. Frontline took a free kick, quite short towards the nearby corner flag and, on entering the penalty area, the Frontline forward was tumbled to the turf. Penalty: in the 42nd minute. The ball took a 45 degree, plus, trajectory way over the top of the Sandhurst crossbar. A relieved team sent the ball back and Henry Lee put the ball across the face of goal to no avail.

After the break, a double substitution for Sandhurst and a first bid for an equaliser by the visitors but the ball was cleared down the line and Richard Hughes went directly into the Frontline area and fired a low shot at the far post which Hussain stretched and saved, conceding a corner kick Charlie Oakley received a pass from Hughes but his effort was blocked by a fairly solid defence. Gosling then combined with Oakley and, again Hussain made another save. Next thing, Sandhurst approached goal and Hughes hit the post at the base. Sean Delfosse took a shot which went behind for a corner, taking a deflection on the way. Sandhurst were getting the lion's share as Charlie Oakley ran through the defence and linked wih Richard Hughes with no contact on ball. Then Charlie Oakley was positioned nicely for the incoming ball, leg swung, no contact with ball, a big miss, and should have scored. As the last quarter of the game was reached, Frontline seriously kept mounting attacks, pressurising Sandhurst's defenders, Tom Field made a crucial save then Matt Wright blocked out progress, after which the Fizzers made a counter attack but Oakley's shot was saved by Hussain. With full time only minutes away, and Forntline forwards working their way into the opposition penalty area, a poor challenge gave Frontline a penalty and this time the ball beat Tom Field, Omar Riaz had levelled the score after 86 minutes. Within a couple of minutes, Richard Hughes had broken the mould and stuck the ball into Hussain's net which settled the final result after which Charlie Oakley and Dan Gosling both forced corner kicks. Sandhurst progress to the next round but next Saturday, the team faces Plymouth Parkway in Devon for the 1st Round proper of the Buildbase FA Vase.

Divisions Two

Virginia Water 3 Stokenchurch 0
Good game by both teams, played in a good nature. Score a fair reflection of the overall game.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator