header uhlsport link

18 November

uhlsport football kitPremier Division

Ascot United 1 Tuffley Rovers 1
Ascot United remain rooted to the foot of the table after Tuffley Rovers struck late-one to deny the Yellamen a much needed win on Saturday. The one-all scoreline barely tells the story of a riling afternoon, where the home side were harshly reduced to ten men and should arguably have already seen the visiting ‘keeper dismissed.

Ascot’s only change following their midweek cup exit at Binfield was the introduction of Ben Harris in place of Aaron Ross; international clearance having finally been received after the striker’s return from New Zealand. And, Harris would provide much needed zest up front; the former Hampton and Richmond Borough man created one goal and might have scored another. Sadly for him and his side, the scoreline was not reflective of their efforts. Denied a penalty and possible early goal, and seeing substitute Matt Jones receive two yellow cards – at least one of which was nothing more than a 50:50 challenge – would further agitate the home faithful especially as it paved the way for the visitors’ recovery. Shayne Anson saw his free header from a corner drop narrowly wide for Tuffley after ten minutes, but Harris saw a curling effort easily saved by Eric Edge at the other end.

However, the talking point of the first half was Harris being controversially denied a penalty 21 minutes. Harris had charged down Edge’s clearance in the final third, and after racing towards the ball – which had cannoned back towards the goal – Harris crashed to the ground after appearing to be clipped by Edge; much to the frustration of the home faithful after both referee and assistant had looked at each other inconclusively.

Ash Bird dragged then wide for Tuffley when well placed as the visitors threatened once again, but it remained goalless at the break.

Matt Newborn had already replaced the injured James Goodey shortly before the interval, and he would in turn be replaced by James Richardson late-on after impressing. Before all of that, Harris’s right wing drive and delivery would tee up Josh Dillon for the easiest of far-post tap-ins to give the hosts a 1-0 lead– 52 minutes played – before Harris’s flick-header was denied by Edge’s point-blank save shortly afterwards. Jones would then replace Harris for the final fifteen minutes – but his second home debut would turn sour after quickly receiving two harsh yellow cards – which changed the pattern of the game during which Tuffley equalised in comical circumstances three minutes from time following what looked like an attempt to simulate kamikaze pinball by the hosts in their own penalty area.

Ascot United 1 Tuffley Rovers 1 (away view)
Tuffley Rovers extended their unbeaten league run to six games, despite a below par performance against an Ascot United side who started and finished the day bottom of the Uhlsport Hellenic League, Premier Division table. With Liam Wright unavailable, after impressing at left-back in recent fixtures, Player/Assistant Manager, Shayne Anson, was recalled in an unfamiliar role; the only change from the previous week’s win against Highmoor Ibis. Ascot United had been on the wrong end of several reverses recently but were buoyed by the availability of former Hampton & Richmond Borough striker Ben Harris, who received International Clearance less than 26 hours before the game.

Rovers started brightly and Shayne Anson twice went close in the early stages, shooting narrowly wide in the first few minutes, before his header, from Kieran Alder’s cross, went narrowly wide on 10 minutes. Although the game had started in a fashion which suggested Rovers could add to their run of consecutive victories, Ascot presented a significant counter-attacking threat, with Harris to the fore, drawing a good save from Eric Edge after 18 minutes, before the first significant moment in the game two minutes later. Edge, who has been impressive since taking over from the injured Dave Evans in goal, saw a poor kick charged down by the new Ascot signing and although any initial fear that the ball might ricochet into the net was averted, the keeper and Harris set off on a foot race to the ball which was close to the goal. Harris tumbled on to the edge of the six-yard box but his appeal for a penalty kick, which could undoubtedly have resulted in Edge being dismissed, had it been awarded, was waived away.

If Rovers felt reprieved, they provided a great response and Ash Bird produced a good awareness to set Warren Mann away on the left, before he crossed for Shayne Bradley, whose header looked destined to break the deadlock, only for Lee Allen to claw the ball away from the goal and keep the score at 0-0. On 27 minutes, Courtney Hamilton did well to win the ball and push the ball beyond an advancing Ascot defender, allowing Bird to run through on goal, but the young Rovers forward, still waiting for his first goal since signing from Brimscombe & Thrupp, was unable to turn the ball home, as his shot past the advancing Allen went narrowly wide. Both sides continued to attack, in increasingly difficult conditions due to heavy rainfall, but an absence of real chances meant that the half-time interval arrived with the scoreline unchanged.

The second-half started with Rovers going close again, as Brett James almost met Mann’s cross to the back post, but Ascot continued to threaten and Harris went incredibly close to opening the scoring but he fired narrowly wide with only Edge to beat. A few moments later, Edge had to be on his toes, denying another Harris effort with a point-blank stop, as the Ascot forward looked to flick a header home.

Rovers had begun to waste possession, under pressure from the Ascot counter-attacking threat, and were punished on fifty-two minutes when Harris once again found a good position, before crossing low to the back post, so that Josh Dillon had the simplest of finishes at the back post, to make it 1-0.

After falling behind Rovers recovered their poise and only resolute defending from the hosts was enough to keep them at bay, before the game took a further twist, on 83 minutes, when substitute Matt Jones was dismissed for a second yellow card. If his first had been harsh, after Jones had collided with Rovers’ Sam Hill, the second, for an alleged dive as he moved past Mann, just inside the Rovers penalty area, looked more deserved, and he was dismissed from the field of play. With a numerical advantage, Rovers pressed again and eventually the pressure paid. Keeper Allen came for the ball but when it went beyond him, a clearance bounced off his back and spun goalwards, with Shayne Bradley forcing the ball home from close range to ensure that Rovers levelled the scores. The late goal from Rovers’ veteran striker was enough to maintain their unbeaten run but Mark Pritchett will undoubtedly be looking a much improved display when Rovers host Binfield at Glevum Park next Saturday.

Brackley Town Saints 8 Burnham 0
Fresh from their excellent midweek performance against a strong Wantage Town side Saints welcomed struggling Burnham to St James Park on a cool, dry, and perfect for football November afternoon. With centre back Joe Ward recovered from injury Manager Gordon Kille shuffled his pack again moving skipper Lewis Baldwin into a more familiar central midfield role and starting Ward alongside the dependable Dan Middleton. Ryan Knight was brought back into a strong attacking line-up and Matt Johnson shifted to the right-back role in a starting 11 set-up for goals.

Having been soundly beaten by Saints back in August Burnham started the game looking to be well organized and strong at the back, dropping off and allowing the home side to have comfortable possession in their own half.
The 1st attempt on goal came in the 2nd minute but James Watts’ shot from distance sailed high and wide. A couple of minutes later Burnham forced a corner which was easily saved by Alastair Worby in the Saints goal.
In the 7th minute a long pass from Matt Johnson set Josh Bowden free on Saints right and the striker’s cross was perfectly delivered for Khris Oti to nod home, 1 – 0 Saints. Despite conceding an early goal Burnham stuck to their task, working hard to deny time and space for the home sides attack and showing some quality when in possession themselves.

Good play from Ryan Knight produced an opportunity for Josh Bowden in the 22nd minute but he couldn’t keep his shot down and, at the other end, Burnham’s 1st shot on target was comfortably dealt with by the Saints keeper. With 10 minutes left of a tight first half Lewis Baldwin played the ball into Ryan Knight on the edge of the visitor’s penalty area and the Saints attacker turned well but his shot was blocked by a Burnham defender.

The 2nd half started with more of the same as Saints controlled possession of the ball but struggled to find clear opportunities and Burnham, at just 1 goal behind looked a threat on the counter-attack. As the hour mark passed a strong challenge on Sam Bridges in the visitor’s half was correctly called as a free-kick by the referee but, to the amazement of everyone watching, the Burnham defender was shown a harsh red card when a yellow would probably have been sufficient. The free-kick for Saints was comfortably cleared by Burnham and 2 minutes later they opened-up the home sides defence to create an opportunity that produced an excellent, low save from Alastair Worby.

Playing a man down is never easy especially when playing against players who manage possession so well, and do so at a high tempo, so with over 25 minutes still to play the game became one-way traffic as Saints set about their opposition. Now playing centrally Matt Johnson took off on a mazy dribble but saw his shot deflected for a corner that ended with a Ryan Knight shot flying just wide. Moments later Knight was again in the action and his defence splitting pass gave Chris Jordan a chance to go around the keeper who had no other option than to pull the Saints attacker to the ground for a penalty that was comfortably tucked away by skipper Lewis Baldwin, 2 – 0 Saints.

On 73 minutes a Saints corner dropped at the back post for centre-back Joe Ward and the defender made no mistake powering the ball into the net for his 1st goal of the season, 3 – 0 Saints. Just 2 minutes later Alex Stott broke clear down the Saints right and his excellent pull-back was driven into the net by Ryan Knight, 4 – 0 Saints. As the game entered the last 10 minutes a Matt Johnson through ball set Josh Bowden free and the striker made no mistake with the finish, 5 – 0 Saints. Dispirited and beaten the last thing that Burnham needed was to lose another player, but the referee was given no choice with 8 minutes left when the visitors right back made a high, dangerous tackle on Saints defender Dan Middleton and received a straight red card. In the 85th minutes striker Josh Bowden powered through the visitor’s defence and thumped home his 2nd goal of the game, 6 – 0 Saints. Just a minute later Alex Stott followed suit and gave the Burnham keeper no chance to score Saints 7th goal, 7 – 0 Saints. In the last minute of the 90 Burnham’s misery was completed as Alex Stott was again given the freedom to drive through and finish with aplomb for his 2nd goal of the game, 8 – 0 Saints.

Just to add to the visitor’s woes their left back was given a 2nd yellow and then the inevitable red card after the final whistle for comments made to the officials.

Woodley United 1 Brimscombe & Thrupp 2
After a bright start that saw Woodley have a lot of the ball early on, it was the visitors who had the game's first shot. Sam Blackie tested Alex Reed in the home goal with a shot from a tight angle on the left. 

Brimscombe had a good spell ten minutes in but were denied by some superb defending from United captain Idris Kamara. Getting up well to head clear a cross, he followed that up with an acrobatic clearance as Woodley struggled to get out of their half.  Reed was called into action for a second time twenty minutes in, showing good hands to keep out a free kick at his near post. Midway through the half saw United go behind when some indecision between defender and keeper allowed Blackie to round Reed and roll into an empty net. 

Looking for an immediate response, Owen Davies, who got his first for the club in midweek, shot narrowly over from twenty five yards.  This was the catalyst for arguably Woodley's best spell of the match. Sam Guze forced Brimscombe goalie Ashley Gale into a good save diving to his left whilst winger Callum Samuel-Harman saw his shot blocked after cutting in from the left flank.  The scores were level on thirty two minutes when Danny Horscroft's good run of scoring continued when he headed a Davies corner into the top right corner. Three in three now for Horscroft.  With the weather worsening and the rain getting heavier, the teams traded shots. The dangerous Blackie had a shot blocked by United centre back Mitch Porter who started Woodley's next attack bringing the ball out of defence before picking out Samuel-Harman; the United man teed up Davies who also saw a shot blocked. 

The away side started the second half well, creating several half chances. A Blackie cross-come-shot was tipped over by Reed whilst substitute Ben Deakin shot weakly at goal.  It was now Woodley's turn to attack. Samuel-Harman tested Gale, a Davies cross was blocked by a combination of goalie and defender whilst a volleyed effort from twenty two yards went wide of the right post. 

United's best chance of the half fell to Horscroft who came agonisingly close to turning home a right wing Guze cross.  Moments later Brimscombe retook the lead with a fine move that ended with a Jack Smith touch setting up Blackie who slotted past the advancing Reed.  Blackie was denied a hat trick by another Kamara block after finding space on the left side of the box as the game entered the final fifteen minutes. 

Woodley made several quick-fire changes in the hope of salvaging a point. Davies made way for Marvin Hinds on seventy nine minutes before Hayden Richardson made his debut for the first team three minutes later, replacing Joe Barley.  Despite the changes, it was the away side that had the final two chances. Reed pulled off a tremendous save to tip wide a glancing header before beating out another Blackie effort. In between those opportunities United made their final change when Teddy Thomas came on for Samuel-Harman.

One East

Holyport 2 Didcot Town Reserves 2 (away view)
Didcot and Holyport saw out a draw for a point each on a worsening heavy pitch that was pretty treacherous underfoot. An early Ross MacDonald cross found no takers for Didcot before Paul Rake for the home team had a shot deflected for a corner. MacDonald chased down a weak pass back and made home keeper save at point blank range however eventually Didcot worked out that getting forward in numbers might reap dividends on this pitch . Siji Akinlosi's effort brought the first of two fruitless corners and after a period of possession Aaron Davies shot over from outside the box. 

A nice move involving Taylor Janes and MacDonald ended with a pass to Alex Marshall who just shot wide. James Barnett got back well to block a dangerous Holyport attack. MacDonald's runs were causing Holyport problems and after turning a defender he set off and crossed between goalkeeper and defence to find Alex Marshall shrugging off a marker and shooting home the opener from close in.A minute later and MacDonald met an Aaron Davies cross first and just flicked the ball wide. 

In the 33rd minute Michal Filipowicz held up the ball in the box and touched the ball back to Taylor Janes whose rasping shot was pushed out by home keeper Sam House, unfortunately for him MacDonald was following up and thrashed the ball in to the net for the Railwaymen's second goal. Three minutes later Holyport were awarded a penalty when a home player went down in the box, Taylor Janes was booked for complaining and Paul Rake scored from the spot. An over fussy referee who took little note of the terrible conditions booked two further players before half time. 

The weather worsened in the second half and players found it more difficult to move at pace which made it a poor spectacle. James Barnett cleared up a Holyport attack but in the 57th minute Taylor Janes went in to a tackle near the half way line and was sent off for a second yellow card. Withnjust ten men Didcot did well to get forward and a dangerous Ross Tanner cross went harmlessly wide and from a Barnett free kick Alex Marshall just failed to connect. There was nothing else of further note until Holyport equalised 6 minutes from time with the ball creeping into the corner of the net. Predictably Holyport poured forward and Nathan Green for the Port shot over. Didcot keeper Ashley Steven then had a good save and Alan Ackerman hit the crossbar with a dipping shot. Port were almost undone though as a deep cross was hit first time by MacDonald with his fierce shot kicked off the line. The referee somehow allowed 9 minutes of injury time and eventually blew his whistle with Didcot breaking up the park. 

Sandhurst Town 1 Bicester Town 4 (report by Arthur Strand)
Sandhurst faced top of the table Bicester at Bottom Meadow. With both main keepers still out injured, Sandhurst called in Neil Griffith to help out. From the kick off Bicester meant business hurtling upfield and slotting the ball into a bemused defence. Deemed off-side, the goal did not stand. However, Sandhurst gained possession and countered finding Freddie Barron on the left flank at the halfway line. Progress halted there but Sandhurst worked back the ball and supplied Josh Mynard made his way along the right wing sending a ball for Charlie Oakley to receive but keeper, Joe White, made a save although Oakley was off side. Moving back to the opposite end, Bicester took the first corner of the game with no outcome. By the 21st minute, Bicester had the ball on their left and Elliott Powell's lowish shot was deflected into the back of the net. 1 - 0 to the visitors and the 1st of Elliott Powell's 4 goals. After the restart, Dan Gosling took a free kick and White saved the following free kick which sailed straight into his arms. Bicester then dominated the game and made a sustained attack in and around the Sandhurst penalty area. Eventually a shot was met with a header away but disaster struck the visitors when Wayne Blossom dropped to the turf in the Sandhurst penalty area, injured and was replaced by Jack Bailey. Unfortunately, the injury was serious enough for Blossom to be collected by the ambulance to take him to hospital. Elliott Powell then ran through the middle and, with Neil Griffith approaching fast out of goal, he pushed the ball beyond him for the second goal with half time just around the corner. Dan Gosling took a free kick into the Bicester half from near the halfway line. This was headed away by Bicester's defence. Bicester took a free kick but the hard shot towards goal was dutifully cleared out of the area by Sandhurst defenders.

At half-time Richard Hughes replaced Josh Mynard Bicester began where their players left off at the break. forcing a save from Neil Griffith then, again having retrieved the ball, they passed the ball all around the Sandhurst penalty area until Elliott Powell could merely tap the ball into goal for his 3rd and therefore, the 3rd for Bicester after 48 minutes. Back they went, creating another corner kick Sandhurst were clearly on the defence in the second half but Luke Burrows applied the attacking full back tactic and crossed the halfway line shooting an aerial ball goal ward. The ball curled wide of the target. In the pouring rain, progress was difficult for both sides and Sandhurst made some progress before the attack broke down and Bicester found a gap with only Griffith to beat. The shot was scuffed, the save was almost fumbled but the keeper hung on with no attacking forwards close enough to rob the ball from him. As time passed under the floodlights, a Bicester aerial free kick aimed at goal reached Neil Griffith, directly Sandhurst escaped from their half a few times and Freddie Barron worked his way goal ward without any return from a corner kick to Sandhurst. In the 79th minute, Elliott Powell slammed home a penalty for a trip thus 4 - 0 to the visitors. During the last 10 minutes, Sandhurst came to life, and played with far more compunction with the ball in the Bicester area until it was nodded down and Jon Malone scored in the 89th minute bringing the score to 4 - 1 to Bicester. Dan Gosling floated the ball towards Bicester's goal but Joe White claimed it. A heavier defeat than the Fizzers would have wished, leaving Bicester top of Div 1 East.

Virginia Water 7 Wallingford Town 1
Waters continued their impressive home form with an emphatic win over Wallingford, who in turn have been enjoying a good start to the season.

In what was our best performance to date, some of the football in driving rain, was simply a joy for those present to witness. Goals were scored by the in-form Adam McNamara (MoM) (15, 24, 55, 61), Lorenzo Di Felice (41), Mark Lansdowne (85) and a candidate for goal of the season by Richard Bond (90). Wallingford got a deserved consolation in the 75th minute.

Waters first goal came when Adam volleyed in a cross from Finn Evered. His, and our second, was a little fortunate when his shot took a deflection past their excellent keeper. Lennie went close before he finished a sweeping move to hit home a cross from Adam at the near post. The game and result could have been different had the visitors not missed a penalty in the 33rd minute, when the spot kick was hit wide of Matt’s goal.

At 3-0 at the break, with the defence in total control, we needed a fast start to the second half, and got it, when Adam raced on to a through ball, to smash home his hat-trick. This was soon followed by his fourth, when again he linked with Josh Hill on the right, himself a candidate for MoM with such and energetic and quality display. Indeed, Josh hit the bar in the first half and more than deserved a goal of his own. We conceded a sloppy goal late on, but still managed to increase the scoring, when Mark rifled in from a Finn set up. Then at the end came ‘Bondy’s wonder goal’, as he took a ball on the volley, beat the last defender, and as he was forced wide, chipped a left foot shot back from an angle, into the far corner – a goal to grace any football match, and round off a terrific VW team performance. To be fair to their keeper, he made some great saves of his own from Adam, Max, Louis, Josh Guichard, Lennie, so the score could have been even better or worse, depending on which side you are.

One West

Ardley United 0 Clanfield 85 3
Well they say all good things must come to an end and they certainly did for Ardley United on Saturday when crashing back down to Earth with a 3-0 home to defeat to Clanfield. The game started at a high tempo, with Ardley having the lions share of possession, but with Clanfield creating the best chances when counter attacking through the pacey Isaac Oliver in particular. Then late in the first half on 41 minutes, Clanfield deservedly took the lead with a great strike by Isaac Oliver from the corner of the 18 yard box into the top corner of the net, to send Clanfield in at half time with a 1 goal lead.

Ardley came out for the 2nd half looking much better and were peppering the Clanfield goal. Clanfield's defence were defending resolutely and were well marshalled by their keeper and despite all the pressure from Ardley, it was Clanfield who took a 2 goal lead. Again, it was Oliver who broke out in another counter attack and took his chance on 63 minutes. Ardley pressed again to try and get back in the game but Clanfield were in no mood to concede any goals and just kept getting bodies in the way and defended with big hearts. On 75 mnites it was game over, when once again it was Isaac oliver who broke clear and finished well to complete his hatrick for Clanfield's 3rd and set up a memorable win for the. It has been a great run by Ardley, but it had to end sooner or later and Clanfield totally deserved their victory today.

Ardley United 0 Clanfield 85 3 (away view)
After a dismal run which had seen them secure just two points from their last eight league matches Clanfield 85 made their first visit to The Playing Fields for some time a memorable one when they defeated the previously ten wins out of ten matches League Leaders Ardley United by 3-0.With Manager Peter Osborne serving a suspension Assistant Managers Jamie Butt and Martin Staddon took charge and the team included teenagers Callum Davies, Frankie Cato and Zac Oliver with Aaron Morton on the substitutes bench.All four had played in the FA Youth Cup Second Round Proper on Thursday with the Clubs Under 18 team but none showed any reaction to a hard match and a late return home!From the kick off Ardley looked for the early breakthrough but met up with stern resistance and goalkeeper Jamie Zoldan was rarely troubled.Playing up the slope Clanfield and particularly Oliver gave problems to the Ardley defence and after a number of near misses it was Oliver who cut in from the right to curl a superb left footer in to the top left hand corner of the Ardley net in the 42nd minute to give the visitors a halftime lead.

Stung by this the League Leaders got to grips with the game and pressed strongly without really troubling Zoldan and it was Clanfield who scored the next goal in the 62nd minute .A high cross field pass by Conor Tinsley found Oliver who evaded and then outpaced his marker to round the keeper and slide the ball in from the narrowest of angles.Back came Ardley and Clanfield were forced to defend sometimes with desperation. Zoldan twice saved well and the back four of Ryan Moore, Adam Pendell, Jozef Fullerton and Davies were kept very busy.Jack Kennedy was replaced by Jack Payne and Callum Miller was replaced by Joe Hiscock but it was Oliver who had the last word.Good work by Luke Cooper saw Ryan Moore find the striker with a through ball and despite an attempt to bring him down he sped clear to beat the advancing goalkeeper from the edge of the area to round off a fine victory for the Robins and his own personal hat-trick.

Tytherington Rocks 0 Tytherington Rocks 3
The result of the Hellenic League Div 1(West) game between Tytherington Rocks and Swindon New College Academy  at the Hardwicke Field on Saturday was always going to be crucial for both teams. A win for Swindon would widen the gap between these 2 teams struggling at the bottom, whilst 3 points for Rocks would be their first points of the season. A draw would have had a similar effect.
In the event, it was the visitors who took the spoils with a 3:0 win. The Rocks no1 was the first of the two keepers to be called into action, with 2 decisive saves in the early exchanges. However, the home team were playing with more freedom than in previous games, creating open spaces in midfield although the majority of play was focused between the penalty areas. Reduced temporarily to 10 men, Rocks secured their first corner on 22 mins. The ball was cleared to the other end and a defensive error gave Swindon's striker, Kane Harcutt, an opportunist goal to give the Academy the lead.
Six minutes later, on 31 mins, the Rocks keeper parried a powerful shot which fell to the feet of Swindon's Jacob Hutchins. He drove the ball past despairing defenders for the visitor's second goal and the 2:0 scoreline stood to the interval.
The floodlights lit up the start of the second half through the drizzle and Autumn gloom. For the first 20 mins of the second period Rocks enjoyed the majority of possession, whilst Swindon struggled to get out of their half. The home team played some positive football without translating their endeavour into goal chances. With 12 mins left, the Rocks keeper welcomed the help of a post to save an innocuous cross but, as the resulting corner was being taken, a push on a Swindon forward gave the referee reason to award a penalty, which Max Slinn gratefully converted to put the result beyond doubt.
The final 10 mins reflected the pattern of games for Tytherington throughout this first half of the season, with the home team struggling to capitalize on reaching their opponent's penalty area.
Reflecting on a disappointing 3:0 defeat, Rocks were left to consider on what happened, rather than on what might have been.

Woodstock Town 1 Shortwood United Dev' 4 (away view)
Nick Ackland was delighted with his side’s performance on Saturday as Shortwood Utd recorded their first away win of the season. “We played really well today in tough conditions, but I’m delighted with back to back wins. I was impressed by Louis Peyton and Chris Earl, and Joe Noakes was outstanding at the back, but the whole team played well.”

In very squally conditions Wood got the ball down and played well. The opening goal came when Dan Lander powered home a corner. Shortwood dominated for the rest of the first half. Wood started the second period on top and Will Hawes soon made it 2 nil. Peyton and Earl combined well down the left creating a number of chances, and they should scored a couple more. Shortwood then conceded a scrappy goal, but straight from the kick off they restored their 2 goal cushion when Tom Palmer got the third. Hawes completed the route late on when he got his second.

berks&buks faBerks & Bucks Senior Trophy

Letcombe 1 Kintbury Rangers 1 (Kintbury win on penalties)
Letcombe will look back on this game and rue the many missed chances which came their way. The game was played in very difficult conditions which may have prevented some spectators from attending, but it was still an entertaining game. Conor Lynch made two good runs down the right wing, but his good looking crosses went begging as Adam Bruce and Harry Monger were unable to capitalise on them. Alex Fragata had two runs blocked by unfair challenges, but the resulting free kicks came to nothing. Kintbury keeper Ross Thorne was in fine form, often acting as sweeper behind his defence, whilst at the other end, Danny Joyce brought off a fine save to keep the game goalless. A great through ball from Danny Lachacz sent Adam Bruce clear, but Thorne again came to the visitors rescue, saving with his legs.

The second half began in a similar way with Letcombe creating the better chances, and Monger shot over the bar and Bruce shot wide before Kintbury took the lead on the hour. Danny Joyce produced a fine save, but Kintbury`s Harry Way was quickest to react and placed the ball into the corner of the net. Back came Letcombe, with Alex Fragata looking dangerous, and his pacy run provided the opening for skipper Ben Hummel to equalise and set up a tense final 15 minutes. Owen Cummins had a triple effort blocked by the outstanding Thorne, and Kintbury also snatched a winner in the dying minutes. A run and cross from Harry Way produced a remarkable save from Danny Joyce to set up a penalty shoot-out.

Man of the match Thorne then saved Letcombe`s first three penalties to send Kintbury into the next round, leaving Letcombe stunned and reflecting on what might have been.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator