header uhlsport link

6-7 November

  perpetua press  

New College Swindon 0 Penn & Tylers Green 9 (away view)

With no game last Saturday Penn & Tylers Green F.C. made the long journey to Swindon on Monday night to play New College Swindon F.C. in the Hellenic League Floodlit Cup and came away with a “banger” of a result , winning 9-0.

Penn started the game slowly but in control and it was 15 minutes before they took the lead when Charlie Lane powerfully headed in a corner from 6 yards to settle any Penn nerves. On 18 minutes it was 2-0 when Matt Clarke from all of 25 yards turned and sent in a “rocket” of a shot which hit the back of the New College net with no response from the stranded goalkeeper. The term “rampant” was now absolutely appropriate as Penn played with confidence and were passing the ball well and so it was no surprise when Raju Pritpal was released and burst through on 30 minutes and calmly finished to make it 3-0.

There was a lull in proceeding as Penn relaxed and were playing their passing game to frustrate the New College team, who never gave up the fight. For one moment and credit to them for that attitude. The next goal arrived on 44 minutes when Michael Brodie scored with a free header from another Penn corner.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first with Penn in complete control and the goals flowed. Raju Pritpal added his second of the night as did Michael Brodie, but the highlight of the second half was a 10-minute hat trick from the excellent Konnor Saunders, which lit up the night sky to compete with the fireworks, and one of the goals was another “rocket” shot from the edge of the New College penalty area.

The last 10 minutes proved fruitless and Penn played out the game for an excellent 9-0 win to earn a second round tie Away to Didcot Town Development F.C. A sterner test awaits this Saturday when AFC Aldermaston are the visitors to Spratleys Meadow for a league encounter. Kick-Off 3pm.

uhlsport football kitPremier Division

Ascot United 2 Abingdon United 2
Ascot United were held to a two-all draw against lowly Abingdon United on Tuesday, their third such result against relegation-haunted opposition in less than three weeks.

Abingdon arrived at the Racecourse bottom of the league, but they had shown potential in September’s reverse fixture – which Ascot won 4-2 – by scoring two late goals in a promising last ten minutes.

Ascot dominated the first half and Louis Bouwers headed over early-on, Harry Laflin shot over and Nathan Minhas’s effort was cleared off the line.

Lee Allen denied Abingdon when faced with a one-on-one in a rare attack from the visitors, before Jean-Claude Etienne cut in from the right and fired past Jack Pritchard to give the hosts a 38th minute lead. Minhas might then have added a second before the break, only for Pritchard’s double save to deny him.

In the second half, Minhas blasted over after good work from Dan Price, before Abingdon turned the game on its head with two goals inside three minutes midway through the half.

However, Minhas preserved his goal-a-game record with a late penalty to drag Ascot level – 85 minutes played – although Luqman Kassim might have nicked it at the death with a glancing header that went close.

The Yellamen will reflect on another opportunity missed after identical scorelines against both Shrivenham and Tuffley Rovers since 20th October.

Ascot United: Allen, Lock, Haworth, Denton, Bouwers, F Etienne, JC Etienne (Kibaki), Laflin (Hodges), Minhas, Price, Kassim. Subs unused: Boultwood, Carlisle, Sullivan

Fairford Town 0 Shrivenham 2
Fairford Town’s unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-0 home defeat to Shrivenham on Tuesday night, as a goal in each half saw the visitors capitalise against ten man opposition.

The hosts went into the game following an impressive 2-1 win against league leaders Brackley Town Saints on Saturday, but knew the visit of Shrivenham – with eight former Reds players in their starting line-up – would be a different contest altogether.

And so it proved as Fairford were unable to get into their stride, with Shrivenham taking the lead on the half hour mark through a Danny Hale penalty.

The hosts were reduced to ten men with 37 minutes on the clock when the experienced Jamie Reid was shown a straight red card following a mass confrontation.

The visitors wrapped up the game in the 88th minute with former Fairford man Dan Drewett getting on the end of a free-kick to scramble the ball home.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator