header uhlsport link

19 -20 March 2018

perpetua press newent

Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup

Wantage Town 1 Brackley Town Saints  2 (away view) 
This was a tricky tie for Saints. Wantage decided to play what was effectively their development team in this fixture, having one eye on a top of the table clash with Brimscombe on Saturday. If Saints thought that it was going to be easy they were mistaken, but it says an awful lot for this Saints side that they were eventually able to overcome an enthusiastic and determined Wantage side that were in the game right to the end. 

Saints made a steady start knocking the ball around on a tricky pitch, but not creating much in the way of scoring opportunities. Wantage were competitive, quickly into the tackle and not without an element of flair particularly in wide positions. The ref stamped down quickly on a couple of late challenges and was perhaps a touch lenient when Harry Brock was almost sent into orbit half way through the first half. 

As the half moved on Wantage created 3 or 4 goal attempts with Worby doing well to save a Luke Ballard header from a free kick, and watching thankfully as a great shot bounced back off of the crossbar. 

Saints started the second half much more on the front foot and a super turn from James Watts followed by a nice through pass to Ryan Knight was spoiled only by a bobble just as Knight struck his shot. Wantage took the lead on 57 minutes when Jordon Parrott capitalised on a slip in the Saints defence and showed great strength and composure to slot past Worby. 

The home fans sensed an upset and Wantage had a great chance to add a second following a quick break with only a moment of indecision allowing Worby to snuffle out the opportunity. 

Saints showed great resolve though and on 70 minutes Jordan Godfrey played a lovely ball through to Knight whose controlled volley past the keeper showed great confidence and composure. Wantage were tiring and Saints quality was beginning to tell. A long period of pressure and a number of corners eventually told on 82 minutes when George Ball tricked his way into the right side of the box and squared for Knight to slot home his second. Only the offside flag stopped Knight from bagging a second hat-trick in consecutive games. 

Saints calmly ran the clock down without too many problems and will now face Ascot United in the quarter finals on Tuesday 26th March at St James Park. 

uhlsport football kitDivision One East

Thame Rangers 2 Chalvey Sports 1
Conditions at The ASM were good for what was the third game this season between the two sides. Rangers made only one change to the team that won at Penn on Saturday replacing Manager Craig Faulconbridge with Patrick Buston.

Both sides started the game well. Rangers moved the ball well from side to side searching for openings and a few crosses from wide caused the odd problem. On around the ten minute mark Chalvey settled and applied a good spell of pressure which Rangers soaked up well. In this spell a Chalvey forward miss controlled a pass on the edge of the box when well placed which should have at least lead to a shot on goal. Rangers then had their own spell of sustained pressure and in one flowing move Buston was bundled to the ground in the box but nothing given, in another Dan Hatton shot wide and then Miles Baxter shot over. Baxter got his rewards on thirty minutes after being up-ended on the edge of the box as he broke free. He took the resulting free-kick and scored directly in the far corner. A Chalvey defender then got lucky as Buston broke free from their last man pulling him back preventing a goal scoring opportunity. Hatton shot just wide from the resulting free-kick. The same defender headed over from a late corner and the half ended with Rangers a goal up.

Rangers came out strong in the second half and pressed the visitors high up the pitch in search of more goals. Spaces began to open up as Rangers took territorial advantage for long periods. Efforts from Buston, Hatton and Baxter failed to trouble the visitor’s keeper, then with the chance of the half so far Matt Johnston headed wide unchallenged from a Hatton corner when it appeared easier to score. Keeping the pressure on with another corner Buston got the all important touch at the near post to put Rangers two up on the hour. Baxter broke free almost immediately after down the left and with the keeper way out of his goal attempted to shoot from distance but just failed to lift the ball high enough over him. With the clock ticking down Rangers went in search of a third when they should have looked to run the clock down. Well into stoppage time Chalvey pulled a goal back with pretty much the last kick of the game.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator