header uhlsport link

18 March 2017

bluefin sport insurance

Bluefin Sport Supplementary Cup - 2nd Round

Wokingham & Emmbrook 3 Chalfont Wasps 4 aet (away view)
This match had everything! 120 plus minutes of drama, seven goals, swings in momentum, penalty incidents, controversial decisions, eleven bookings and two sending offs (although it was far from a dirty game) – it was not one for the faint hearted!

Wasps faced a stiff breeze for the first period but still managed to create a couple early chances through Olly White’s pace and Tom Fifield’s power before needing to defend some W&E pressure. The pattern of play pendulum was swinging from the start. Next, it was Wasps turn. Fifield fizzed a dipping long range effort just wide and a series of Brad Holt long throws put the home side on the back foot. Then came a rare short period of midfield stalemate. White’s lively movement up top made him a handful, his flicked header found Alex Cairns boot, his drive shaved the cross-bar. 15 minutes played. Dan Little in the Wasps goal then made an important intervention, sweeping well to clear a through ball, Jack Pearce suffered some damage in the challenge, but soon recovered. Despite the strong breeze, Wasps managed to string together a number of pacey passing moves. A penalty broke the deadlock. White was felled, Fifield stepped up and drove the ball into the bottom left; 0-1 Wasps after 24 minutes. W&E responded, Wasps defended and then got back on top. Fifield’s lob from 35 yards landed on the top of the net. White stalked the last defender very effectively and was denied a deserved goal twice in quick succession by two good stops from the home keeper. Wasps still had their noses in front at the (first) interval.

Second half of normal time. Wasps now had the breeze at their backs. Club captain Ryan Sweales entered the fray. Nick Little went on the front foot, attacking down the left. First, he created chances for himself, but was denied by a save and a tackle. Then Josh Urquhart majestically carried the ball out of defence, laid the ball off to Nick Little who beat his man and crossed the ball back to Urquhart, side foot finish from close range; Wasps 2 up with 55 minutes on the clock. By this point the Ref had set the bar low and was dishing out yellow cards to both sides unnecessarily. Still, things looked good for the Stingers and a few more chances went begging, it should have been game over. Then W&E struck their first, Elliot Rushforth drilling in a corner from close range in the 62nd minute. Big Chris MacDonald came on to sure up Wasps midfield. Luke Graham was really unlucky to get a second yellow and Wasps went down to 10 men. W&E, with a goal and a man up were now in the ascendancy; could the Wasps hang on for the last 15? The answer was sadly no. Wasps spurned some more chances before it went to 2-2; W&E sub Dan Carter getting the equaliser with 5 minutes to go, he then he missed a golden opportunity to put W&E ahead. But, the normal time drama was not over. Nick Little and recent arrival Kieran Webb combined brilliantly; Little was in on goal and ‘dinked’ the ball over the advancing keeper; 3-2 Stringers, 91 minutes. Surely, the Wasps were through to the next round …. The answer, once again, was no! W&E pressed, won a series of corners, their keeper came up to add an extra body, and they levelled matters when Jordan Goddard smuggled the ball home. So, Extra time; 10 men, W&E tails up …. a real challenge!

Tired legs meant the game dropped in tempo, but Wasps had the greater energy and the drama continued. Wasps MacDonald headed wide and a Webb potential ‘worldy’ volley whistled just off target. However, he was to prove there’s still life in the old campaigner. Webb received an accurate long range Dan Little free kick with aplomb, killed it dead and drove home; 4-3 Wasps, 103 minutes gone.

Second period of extra time. Wasps had their moments. W&E had a series of dangerous corners and free kicks, hit he woodwork and had a man sent off for a second yellow. 10 v 10, more space and the game became stretched. However, Wasps prevailed, next round is a visit to Bourton-on-the-Water to play their Rovers … now where’s my pacemaker recharger?!

uhlsport football kitPremier Division

Ascot United 1 Ardley United 3
Ardley United strengthened their grip on a top six finish with a routine victory at Ascot United on Saturday. The visitors eased into a three nil lead before Josh Dillon bagged a consolation, although Ascot will rue missing further chances to set up a grandstand finish.

Ardley’s resurgence after a slow start to the season was kickstarted by their 5-0 demolition of the Yellamen at the Playing Fields back in October. Since then, Ascot had only won one league game, and were consequently significant underdogs to take anything from the return fixture.

Ardley were the better side in the first half but by the interval they only had Chris Jackson’s solitary eleventh minute goal to show for their efforts when the defender stabbed home after Matt Hill had failed to deal with a corner. Most of the action was centred in the final 15 minutes of the first half. First, Ascot’s Ryan Cooper was lucky to receive only a yellow card for a two-footed challenge, before Jack Ross’s 37th minute shot cannoned back off the Ascot crossbar. Hill then produced two fine saves in the closing stages of the half – diving full stretch to deny both Sergio Guerrero and Bradley Cox - whereas Ascot’s best chance arrived moments before Hill’s brilliance when Kai Walters rounded Nick Bennion but saw his shot cleared off the line.

Only one goal down at the break, any early hopes of a comeback were extinguished just 33 seconds after the restart when Nathaniel Lewars latched onto a long ball, held off the Ascot defence, and slotted the ball into the left hand corner from a tight angle. James Goodey shot wide for Ascot after Josh Dillon had flicked on Tom Wensley’s throw-in, although Ardley made it 3-0 when substitute Troy Bryan threaded through for Matt Cruse to slot home with an hour played.

Dillon cut the deficit two minutes later with a shot on the turn after substitute Matt Forder had made an immediate impact in the build-up, although Dillon was guilty of missing a golden opportunity shortly afterwards when he failed to connect with a free header. Samir Regragui’s late free kick brought a fine save from Nick Bennion as Ascot continued to create opportunities, but it was a familiar tale for the Yellamen at the final whistle with nothing to show for a spirited display.

Ascot United 1 Ardley United 3 (away view)
Ardley United took the points from Ascot in a relatively comfortable victory, although a couple of vital blocks and saves kept the visitors lead intact at crucial times throughout the game. Ardley took the lead on eleven minutes when a Declan Benjamin corner eluded a mass of heads that rose in the box and waiting behind was Chris Jackson who slotted home from six yards. Jack Ross then hit the crossbar for United before Ryan Freshwater had to throw himself in front of a shot from Kai Walters that looked certain to bring an unlikely equaliser. Sergio Guerero & Bradley Cox then forced Ascot keeper Matt Hill into flying saves to deny the visitors any further goals before the break.

Ardley doubled their lead just thirty six seconds after the restart when a long clearance from the defence saw Nathaniel Lewars in behind and shrugging off a challenge he slotted past the advancing Matt Hill. On the hour mark Matt Cruse made it three when a ball fed down the right for him to chase saw him fight off a defender and slot home. Three minutes later the home side scored a consolation through Josh Dillon and Nick Bennion had to make a good save from a Samir Regragui free kick late on, but Ardley managed the game to the end to record the victory.

Brackley Town Saints 2 Brimscombe & Thrupp 1(away view)
Brimscombe and Thrupp travelled to Brackley Town Saints on Saturday afternoon where they lost 2-1 despite Sam Blackie’s early goal. They face Cadbury Heath at home on Tuesday night in the GFA Challenge Trophy Semi final
The Development side lost their final away game to Abingdon United Reserves. Craig Mills with an early 25 yard screamer before Nick Rieger and Ben Smith joined him on the scoresheets.
We would like to extend our best wishes to Development team player Ollie Langston who has suspected fractured collarbone.

Burnham 2 Thame United 3 (away view)
United had to call on all their resources to defeat a Burnham side whose performance belied their league position. With the match featuring top against bottom, it was the home side who raced out of the blocks, and in to a lead inside the first two minutes. A free kick was awarded just inside the United half, with the ball floated to the far side of the penalty area where an unmarked Jesse Wilson was able to control the ball and drive it past Craven with the outstretched leg of Ellis Hercules unable to do anything other than assist the ball in to the back of the net.

If that was not bad enough for the visitors, it got worse on 11 minutes. The dangerous Charlie Samuels found space on the left and sent in a cross low along the six yard line that Josh Jackman slid-in to put in to the roof of the net. By this time United had shown very little as an attacking threat and were indebted to goalkeeper Henry Craven on 19 minutes, doing well to catch a deflected shot to his left.

Gradually, however, United started to get a foothold in the game and they pulled a goal back on 36 minutes with their first effort on target. Lynton Goss did well to win a corner that Adam Morris floated to the near post and Dan West finished with a powerful header in to the roof of the net. The score remained 2-1 at the break, albeit United went in to the second half with the wind at their backs. And increasing pressure eventually brought the equaliser on 64 minutes when another Morris corner was met by the head of West and Matt Johnston was on hand to force the ball over the line from close range.

With the home side by now offering little as an attacking threat, it was for United to try and unlock the Burnham defence. Lynton Goss had a great opportunity on 74 minutes, finding himself in space six yards from goal, but Kinsella in the home goal did well to block the effort. However, only two minutes later the winning goal arrived. Good interplay down the Thame right between Ben Connelly and Calvin Evans saw the ball played in-field to West just inside his own half, who flicked a pass that Goss raced on to. Goss then held off his marker before cutting in on goal and, from the wide right of the penalty area, placed an effort wide of Kinsella and in to the bottom corner of the goal. By this stage, United were firmly in control and, with controlled possession, they saw out the remainder of the game with relative ease.

One East

Holyport 1 Woodley United 3 (away view)
Woodley rack up eighth away league win of the season with dominant display at Holyport and move up to second in the league.

Woodley started well, playing some of their best football of the season in the opening five minutes. Josh Drew put in Oakley, who ran at speed at the home defence, but his cut back evaded several blue shirts in the Holyport box. Three minutes in saw the home keeper make the first of several saves over the course of the afternoon when Oakley forced him into a smart stop at his near post. Sixty seconds later United went ahead when Oakley finished from ten yards after Matt Jones saw his shot saved. The build up to the goal involving left back Sukhi Kang and winger Carl Prestidge was first rate.

The goal woke up the hosts who in turn had a good spell. A nice run by Paul Rake ended with him missing to the left from twenty five yards. Alert Marques then had his header saved in the right corner from a deep cross out on the left before a Rake header that lacked power failed to test Alex Reed who made a routine stop. Midway through the half a great ball by Prestidge picked out Abdul Kamara; from a tight angle on the left the midfielder couldn't find Oakley as Woodley regained their grip on the game. United had to make an early change three minutes before the break when Jones limped off with an injury. Liam Wilson came on and made an immediate impact with a fine finish into the right corner after latching onto a nice Kamara pass.

The second half started with a host of Woodley chances. Drew shot well wide after the hosts could only half clear a Danny Horscroft corner, before a Prestidge shot from the right was saved. Despite the difficult conditions with a strong wind, more pressure followed. Oakley had a shot blocked by a defender whilst Wilson saw his low drive well saved in the right corner.

With twenty minutes to go, Holyport were lucky not to go down to ten men when Oakley was bundled over by the last defender. The resultant Horscroft free kick was parried away. Despite the vast majority of the half being played at the Holyport end, the hosts nearly got back into the game when a left wing corner was flicked on at the near post. Fortunately for Woodley Abdul Kamara was positioned on the line to clear.

Down the other end, the home side then cleared off their line as Oakley shot goalwards after a Thomas shot was parried into his path. Oakley then hit the bar from just inside the box as United looked to kill off the game. With four minutes left the hosts halved Woodley's lead when Paul Rake fired into the left corner from eighteen yards. The score didn't stay like that for long though as two minutes later Oakley restored the two goal cushion tapping in after a Thomas shot was saved.

Penn & Tylers Green 5 Didcot Town Reserves 1
In front of a decent crowd and life on Wycombe Sound Radio with commentator Keith Higgins spreading the word of local football to the World, Giovanni Sepede’s team deservedly bagged another three points.

It was a dark afternoon but luckily the rain stayed away and the game started with a thunderbolt when Lee Thompson hit the bar after about two minutes with the ball rebounding into the grateful Didcot keepers’ arms. That really set the scene for the rest of the game. Do not let us be unfair to the opposition; they worked hard for the 96 minutes and the certainly played their part with some talent on show.

George Weller put the game into the right direction from our point of view with a well struck free kick. Their keeper, who made a few decent saves throughout the game, stood no chance with this one, one nil after 11 minutes. The second goal came after 26 minutes when Lee Thompson finished from short range after an excellent move involving a number of players in blue & white. In minute 32 Fred Tripp scored a great goal from about 25 yards when the keeper, out of his penalty area after initially clearing the ball, was lobbed with a beauty. The whole crowd enjoyed this one. Three nil at half time was fine with us.

The second half took a while to get going. Again credit must go to our visitors playing in all red; they never gave up and put in a shift. The game was finally sealed with a low shot from Joshua Fox in 72nd minute to make it four nil. Rounding things off, Fred Tripp got his brace in minute 88 to make it five nil. The Railwaymen got a consolation after a defensive mix up between our keeper and centre half with Emmanuel Hammond walking the ball into the empty net in injury time. The man in the middle, Tom Simmons, blew the final whistle shortly after that to bring proceedings to an end with a well-deserved victory against plucky opposition. We now look forward to the local derby next weekend against our rivals from across the Chilterns, Chalfont Wasps.

With news filtering through from two miles across the Chiltern Valley, that our Reserves beat Flackwell Heath Reserves 4:3 in the Challenge Cup after extra time, our afternoon in the villages of Penn and Tylers Green was perfect.

Penn & Tylers Green 5 Didcot Town Reserves 1 (away view)
Penn were deserved winners in this league game at French Meadows but poor officiating and a couple of defensive mistakes in the first half made Penn's job so much easier for the home team. Didcot created the first chance in the first minute with Lewis Noble shooting over after a Kieran Collins breakaway but Penn soon came in to it when Weller shot over the bar from outside the box.

A low Tripp shot was saved by away keeper Beesley and shortly after Weller shot home a fine free kick to put Penn one up before a Ross MacDonald corner clipped the crossbar for the visitors. Didcot created a couple of more corners and from a Lewis Noble cross Jack Hollister headed over the bar. Thompson chipped the Didcot keeper Beesley for the home second goal after hesitation in the away ranks allowed him free access to the ball. On the half hour mark Ross MacDonald bent in a fine cross and Keiran Collins first time effort just guided it wide of the post for the visitors. Two minutes later it was three nil when Beesley came well out of his box and his headed clearance fell too easily to Fred Tripp who had an easy job to chip in to an empty net from distance.

Jack Hollister was brought down in mid flight but no foul was given by the official and the half finished with another Didcot corner being cleared. Again Didcot started a half well with a Jack Hollister effort over the bar after good work from Mani Hammond. Adam Harman shot wide for Penn before Keiran Collins shot from 30 yards just zipped wide of the postage stamp for Didcot. Hammond was brought down on the edge of the box for Didcot but no foul given before Hoskin was injured and substituted by McCarthy.

Didcot slept at a Penn corner and Fox shot home from the edge of the box for the fourth goal on 70 minutes. Hammond shot over the bar after shrugging off a challenge. With 12 minutes remaining Wilcox was bizarrley sent off however the referee was mistaken in thinking that he had shouted at him when all he was doing was asking his goalkeeper to hurry up !. Five minutes from the end and Tripp tapped home a fifth before Hammond broke away and beat the home keeper to the ball to score Didcot's consolation.

One West

Fairford Town 11 Woodstock Town 0
Ryan Stanners hit four goals in an 11-0 victory for Fairford Town over Woodstock Town on Saturday, extending their advantage at the Division One West to 12 points.

The Reds have now amassed a goal difference of 95 as they continue towards their target of the league title. Stanners scored four with Jason Milhench also netting a hat trick in a one-sided Cinder Lane encounter.

Former Swindon Supermarine striker Stanners opened the affair with a 20th minute effort, before Milhench opened his account for the day six minutes later. Captain Matt Boucher flicked home the third on the half-hour as the home side moved into gear. A fourth from Stanners before the interval offered a sign of what was to come after the break.

Milhench completed his personal treble with further strikes on 54 and 64 minutes and Stanners completed his first hat-trick in a Fairford shirt with the seventh soon after. Moreover, when Nathan Blackford rattled home number eight with 20 minutes to go, there was still time for three further goals. Dan Drewett made it nine on 76 minutes with Stanners completing his goalscoring afternoon with his fourth on 80 minutes. Sam Mepham finished the day off with the 11th as Gareth Davies saw his side collect another three points.

Ryan Stanners celebrates one of his four goals this afternoon (Photo by Ainscow Pictures)

New College 0 Letcombe 2 (away view)
With numerous players missing because of injury, suspension and work, Letcombe only had 11 players, which included 16 year old Dan Stokell making his first start for the club, and assistant  manager Luke Stone, playing his first full game for over a year following a serious knee injury. Even manager David Richardson was missing with a family medical emergency, leaving physio Des Williams alone in the technical area.

A windy day and a bumpy pitch made passing football almost impossible, which was a great shame as both sides prefer to play that way. An even first 20 minutes saw both defences on top, but Letcombe had a great chance to take the lead when Owen Shaw robbed a defender and had a clear run on goal, but he placed his shot wide of the near post. Within a minute Letcombe were ahead, Luke Faircloth running onto a through pass and driving a low shot inside the post from 20 yards.

With the wing behind them, New College dominated possession during the second half, but a well organised Letcombe defence gave them few scoring opportunities, with captain Andy Goodchild excelling at centre back. Indeed, Letcombe could have increased their lead in a rare breakaway with Josh Crowther heading an Owen Shaw lob off the line. The loose ball fell to Luke Faircloth, whose shot was tipped over the bar by home keeper Declan Lehman. New College had a good chance to equalise when a loose ball fell to Kane Howcutt, but he shot wide of the far post. The hosts continued to press forward with Letcombe content to clear their lines with long balls upfield, and they made the game safe with 3 minutes remaining. Owen Shaw controlled a left wing cross and laid the ball square for Jared Jones to drive the ball over Lehman`s head from 20 yards.

New College played some attractive football, but Letcombe adapted their game to the conditions and never stopped working to gain three hard-earned points. With such an inexperienced side and no substitutes, they would probably have been happy with a draw. Letcombe had dominated the second half at Shortwood four days earlier but came away pointless. The roles were reversed today.

Purton 4 North Leigh Reserves 0
Sadly visitors North Leigh United were unable to field a complete side due to some players not arriving at the Red House for the game that saw Puron rise to 4th in the table and extend their recent good run of 8 league and cup matches undefeated.

On a tacky pitch that was a great leveller Purton lead 3-0 at the break adding just one in the 2nd period but were guilty of many missed chances and saw the opposing stand in keeper make some good saves.

Purton were without Joe and Ed Herbert, Matt Bennett, Joe Dorey and Rory Sproule but saw Ben Parsons, Dave Gee and Daniel Allen make their debuts with Allen the Purton player of the match.

Joe Hiscock put Purton ahead after 25 minutes chaing a through ball and trundling the ball past the keeper. Peter McGunigall with a 25 yard ground shot made it 2-0 after 40 minutes and Jamie Sheppard made it 3-0 right on half time with a hard low shot.

Purton despite having all the play during the game Purtonwere only able to add one more goal to complete their league double over their opponents when after a good run Tom McCulloch hammered home the 4th.

Tytherington Rocks 3 Clanfield ’85 1
Junior Mbika scored twice and Callum Francis scored once as Tytherington Rocks moved off the foot of the Hellenic League West table with an impressive 3-1 win over mid-table Clanfield ’85. Mbika scored twice in the second half of a heated encounter with Clanfield ’85 who were no match for Tytherington’s pace and firepower in the attacking third. The win for the Rocks moves them one point above Woodstock Town who now occupy the bottom place in the league.

Clanfield took an early lead in the sixth minute from a corner. The Rocks boss, Dan Gillespie was not happy. Sam Cross was able to bundle the ball over the line for the visitors following an unchallenged header at the back post. Although the league table may suggest otherwise with 21 points separating the two sides, there was little to choose between the two teams. Callum Francis, on left flank, was causing major problems for Clanfield’s right-back and goalscorer, Sam Cross, who struggled to deal with the attacker’s speed and quick feet.

Tytherington were refused a penalty in the 21st minute when the ball appeared to hit a Clanfield hand in the penalty area on its way towards goal from Lewis Bezer’s shot. However, the referee waved away Tytherington appeals. The Rocks were pushing for an equaliser as the half an hour mark approached. Junior Mbika did well to shrug off the challenge of a defender and bend his shot towards the far post from 20 yards out. However, the striker’s effort just went wide of the post.

Since Clanfield’s early goal, the away side had rarely threatened Tytherington’s goal. A series of corners for the home side followed from sustained pressure and, even with some fine delivery from Sven Hopes, the away side managed to retain their one goal lead. However, just one minute before half time, Tytherington found the equaliser. Mbika was at the heart of another Rocks attack and managed to work some space in the area to find Callum Francis across goal who tapped in from close range.

At half time, the Rocks were even unlucky not to be in the lead. If the sustained attacking pressure from them was to continue into the second half, then there would only be one outcome from this game. The Rocks did exactly that. 5 minutes into the second half and Liam Pullen executed an audacious back heel to slot the ball into the path of Junior Mbika who finished well to beat the Clanfield ‘keeper.

Clanfield were yet again showing that they lacked any real quality that would see them, at the very least, threaten the Rocks’ final third. Continued attacking play from the Rocks paid dividends on the hour mark when Mbika made it 3-1. A looping long range pass from centre back, Pat Boyd, saw Mbika through on goal who finished well to get his second of the game and Tytherington’s third. Just as it had been throughout the game, Tytherington’s pace on and off the ball caused many problems for Clanfield’s defence. For that reason, Tytherington could have had even more goals. Nevertheless, the Rocks were all too aware of the fact that they have squandered two-goal leads before this season. As a result, they looked to dictate the pace of the game and ease to victory. All but for some off the ball skirmishes, that is exactly what the home side did. Clanfield posed very little threat to the Rocks’ back four who looked comfortable for most of the afternoon.

With a weakened squad due to suspension and injury, the Rocks did extremely well to win this game against a mid-table Clanfield side. All the Tytherington players applied every last ounce of energy to gain a deserved three points that fittingly rewards them with moving from the foot of the table.



Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator