header uhlsport link

10 March 2018

Premier Divisionuhlsport football kit

Highworth Town 2 Flackwell Heath 3
A loss at home to in form Flackwell Heath and another win for Thatcham Town means the race for the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier League title took another twist. Highworth now lead the table by 2 points with Thatcham Town having a game in hand although they have to visit the Elms in what may yet be a crucial fixture on the 28th March.

Highworth conceded early today when keeper Josh Langley let a speculative shot from Charlie Samuel slip through his hands on 6 minutes. The home side got back into the game and David Lyons made a couple of crucial saves to prevent an equaliser before controversy in the 37th minute. Sheridan Campbell appeared to the majority of the audience of 89 to be at least a couple of yards offside before slotting home and despite the referee consulting his assistant at length the goal was allowed to stand.

Highworth dominated the second half and reduced the arrears on 66 mins through an Ash Edenborough penalty after a foul by Charlie Malin who received a second yellow card followed by the the inevitable red. Highworth continued to press and on 88 minutes Lewis Waldon equalised from close range for what looked like a well deserved point. This being Highworth's 100th league goal of the season.

With the home side now looking for a winner Jordan Roberts shot across goal and a Ross Adams header was saved before a 94th winner for the visitors through Francis Amartey after the home defence failed to clear a long ball over the top.

We wait and see what effect this result has overall with Bracknell also in the hunt albeit with 6 games in hand. Next up a short notice visit to Woodley United on Monday night.

One East

Chalfont Wasps 0 Chinnor 2
chalfont wasps v chinnor 10 march 2018Wasps entertained Chinnor in a lower end of the table clash at The Nest in a lively affair and were left rueing missed opportunities.

An energetic start saw Wasps have the best of the earlier opportunities. Coree King shot across goal after a high press, Sam Parry shot whistled over and King was thwarted by a good stop in the first 15 minutes. Dan Little was called into action at the other end during this phase of the match and again soon after when Chinnor were creating the better chances. King latched onto a Dan Finch free kick after 27 minutes but his shot hit the visiting keeper. Wasps pressure continued, they forced a few corners and free kicks, Mason Wright’s drive was too high and other chances went begging. Alex Woodfine then put Chinnor ahead after Wasps were caught on the ball at the back, 0-1 34 minutes. King and Wright had more chances before half time.

Wasps started the brightest. Wright got through but was snuffed out and Ryan Sweales shot too high. Ryan Williams and Brad Holt came on. Wasps continued to press but could not find the decisive strike. A key point came when Wasps failed to convert a penalty with 18 minutes of normal time remaining. Another Parry shot went wide, Chris MacDonald’s header shaved the horizontal. Garluwa Sandy came on and MacDonald was pushed forwards and Wasps did their best to get an equaliser. Then, with 9 minutes remaining, Woodfine got Chinnor’s second and the match was effectively over.

Penn & Tylers Green 4 Thame Rangers 2
Penn came from 2-0 down to win 4-2 and eventually overcome a spirited and good Thame Rangers side at French School Meadow on Saturday in an excellent game which had both sets of supporters experiencing all the emotions a football match can offer. The win keeps Penn on top of the league level on points with Bicester Town but with a game in hand. Penn gave a debut to recent signing from Flackwell Heath Dan Burnell who slotted in up front next to Chris Hurst. Penn started the stronger and in the 10th minute a pass from Danny Jordan released Adam Harman whose shot was saved by the goalkeeper’s feet. Penn continued to press and Casey Bocarro shot narrowly too high and Danny Burnell raced through in the 24th minute and he shot narrowly wide Thame Rangers were also having some good moments and their lively forwards were making good runs behind the Penn defence and causing a few problems. One of these incidents produced a run through on goal but Matt Cannings in the Penn goal raced out to thwart the danger which brought appeals for a penalty which were rightly waved away by the referee. In the 30th minute after a spell of Thame ascendancy an aimless through ball caused hesitation in the Penn defence and the Thame centre forward Patrick Buston expertly lobbed the onrushing Matt Cannings from 20 yards to put Thame 1-0 up.

This did not awaken the home side and in the 35th minute things got worse as, once again, Patrick Buston received the ball on the right-hand side of the Penn box and weaved his way across the penalty area and unleashed a beauty with his left foot from 20 yards which sailed into the top corner giving Matt Cannings no chance. Penn were now looking at a disaster unravelling before them but they picked themselves up and after a few forays into the Thame half their reward arrived on 42 minutes when Adam Harman was released on the right hand side of the Thame penalty area and he was in no mood to miss as he firmly struck a good low shot into the far corner to take Penn in at half time only one goal adrift which would prove to be vital.

Words of wisdom at half time obviously galvanised Penn as they came out for the second half full of purpose and energy and on 56 minutes the recovery was complete when, after great work from Adam Harman who found Danny Burnell who in turn whipped in a great low cross and there was Danny Jordan to complete a lovely move with a simple tap-in to make it all level at 2-2.

Penn were now completely in control and the comeback was completed in the 60th minute when Chris Hurst found Casey Bocarro who crossed low and hard towards the near post and the ball took a wicked deflection off the defender which completely wrong footed the Thame goalkeeper and the ball flew in at the near post to put Penn 3-2 up. Penn were now rampant and sensed more goals and on 60 minutes Chris Hurst burst into the right-hand side of the Thame penalty area and although near the goal line the Thame defender needlessly fouled him to give Penn a penalty. Danny Jordan gratefully accepted the gift, sending the goalkeeper the wrong from the resulting spot kick to put Penn in command at 4-2. Penn continued to make chances but could not add to the score and Thame also had a good opportunity for a consolation near the end when Matt Cannings made a good save with his feet to preserve the 4-2 score line and secure another hard earned three points for Penn. Credit to both teams for putting on a marvellous match for the healthy crowd and good luck to Thame for the rest of the season.

Penn & Tylers Green 4 Thame Rangers 2 (away view)
Defining moments and big official calls cost Thame Rangers a potential upset at league leaders Penn & Tyler’s Green. Penn have signed several players recently from higher leagues as they look to make it three league titles on in a row

Patrick Buston was on fire and was causing problems from the first whistle for the centre half pairing of Adam Dickens whose trade has been in southern league football for Marlow and Aylesbury plus Fred Tripp. Buston’s power and pace was shown on 5 minutes as he raced clear with only the keeper to beat, but his effort went wide.  Thame enjoyed a good spell with several half chances going begging without much of a reply from the home side in passages Penn looked dangerous on the break. Thame’s pressure eventually paid off when Buston opened the scoring on the half hour with a clever lob from 25 yards and the very same player made it two only minutes later with a powerful left footed drive from around the same range. Then came 1 of the defining moments in the game, Buston once more left Dickens, and Tripp on the half way line and he raced clear with the keeper to beat. As Buston rounded the keeper, he was taken down in the box, but to the amazement of all the referee failed to give the foul and the ball rolled off for a goal kick. A certain penalty, a red card and the opportunity to go 3 up was made worse as Penn went straight up the other end and pulled a goal back on 44 minutes.

Penn started the second half well and a defensive error put them on equal terms and minutes later an own goal put them in front. Then another penalty claim as Tripp came through the back of Buston, leaving him in a pile on the floor without playing the ball. Then a similar incident at the other end and this time it was a penalty for the home side with the officials showing no consistency in their decision-making. Danny Jordan slotted to make it 4-2, and there was no coming back for the visitors, and the game was played out without any incident to note.

The game spoke volumes for how far we have come in our first season at this level against a very strong experienced opposition. We wish Penn well in the league this season.


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator