header uhlsport link

13 January 2018

bluefin sport insurance

Bluefin Sport Challenge Cup

Shrivenham 1 Binfield 6
Shrivenham manager Gareth Davies was full of praise for his players despite going down 6-1 to Hellenic Premier outfit Binfield at Barrington Park on Saturday afternoon.

After some early pressure, including an early corner and forward Lewis Petrie having an effort fired high under a challenge, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock after just 17-minutes thanks to a great strike from Bradley Pagliaroli - with what was Binfield’s first serious attack. With the lead under their belts, Binfield became more comfortable in their game and it was left to Connor Johns to tidy up at the back following a nervous defensive error nearly gifted Carlo Santoro an easy opportunity to double the visitors lead with 25-minutes gone and that gave the home side the wake-up call they needed.

With Shrivvy gaining in confidence, Lewis Petrie flicked a header goalbound and his effort beat Henry Craven in the Binfield goal, but unfortunately struck the post and the follow up was blocked on the line. Sensing the need to get back in it, the visitors class began to show and Johns was forced to make a superb save just moments later after Binfield broke with lightning speed before Pagliaroli did manage to get the break he deserved when his shot deflected beyond Johns who was left wrong-footed on 30-minutes, leaving Shrivvy to hang on as the visitors eventually took a 2-0 lead in to the break.

Neither side made any changes at the interval, and it was the home side that were left wishing they had mixed things up a bit just two minutes after the restart, when Ian Davies produced a delightful chip to make it 0-3 and all but secure his sides place in the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup Quarter Final. Danny Hale almost gave Shrivvy a glimmer of hope moments later when he attempted a chip of his own, however it wasn’t going to be, and his effort could only strike the post and bounce away to safety. Tyler Sheppard made way for Luke Cordery on 55-minutes, but the change did little to alter the facts and Binfield continued to show their superiority in front of goal and Pagliaroli completed his hat-trick on 58-minutes after Shrivvy were again caught on the break as they pushing for a goal of their own.

The visitors gave a rest to Josh Howell and brought Eddie Lee on straight afterwards and Davies had the grace to wait four minutes before he grabbed his second of the game – Binfield’s fifth – with another classy looking chip to further demonstrate the gulf in class. Carlo Santoro and Joe Gritt both left the pitch for Ellis Wint and Alexander Colverd on 63 minutes, and having taken their foot off the gas somewhat, Cordery took advantage of a lapse in the visitors defence and saw a header cleared off the line following a Shrivvy corner, before the home side finally got the consolation their huff and puff had deserved.

A nice move between Rob Hendry and Jamie Prictor saw the captain thump his effort beyond Craven on 70-minutes from close range however, it was left to the visitors to remind Shrivvy why they’re a quality Premier side by hitting their sixth and final goal of the game just two minutes after the re-start, when yet another cheeky chip rebounded and fell to substitute Lee to tap home with ease. With the game over, Shrivvy gave a run out to Josh Jeffries who swapped with Hale [73 minutes] and U16s forward Brad Hirst came on for the final ten-minutes for Lewis Petrie but by then, the damage was done and it was all about enjoying the experience of facing a quality opposition and when Jefferies hit the bar on 88-minutes, it just about summed up Shrivvy’s luck on the day.

"I think we played our part in a very entertaining game," said Shrivvy manager Gareth Davies after the match. "The final score flattered them slightly on balance of play where I thought we competed well, but they were a different class in front of goal and it certainly showed out there today. We’ve had a great run and gained some invaluable experience playing some really good teams in this competition, but Binfield are certainly the best side we have played this season and I hope they go on to secure the cup as they certainly deserve it.”

Bluefin Sport Supplementary Cup

Aston Clinton 0 Holyport 5 (away view)
After last weeks comprehensive 8-1 win over Thame Rangers this was a potential banana skin as they say. Playing a side away from home and in the league below. But as demonstrated in recent weeks this side is making great strides.

From the first whistle the approach was spot on and a goal in the 20th minute by inform Fabian Driffill set Port on their way. A further goal by Alert Marques on 35 minutes gave Holyport a 2-0 lead at the break.

A rare goal by skipper Lee Ovens on 55 minutes was followed up by Charlie Evans and Jonny Feaver goals to complete a comfortable afternoon away to Aston Clinton. Holyport will welcome Wokingham & Emmbrook FC on Tuesday 6th Feb at Summerleaze.

uhlsport football kitPremier Division

Brimscombe & Thrupp 2 Woodley United 0 (away view)
On a soft pitch, Woodley got off to the worse possibly start going a goal down in the first minute. Brimsombe’s Sam Blackie received the ball on the edge of United’s penalty area and was allowed to turn and create space to slot past Alex Reed.

The opening quarter of hour was end to end football. Haydon Richardson forced a corner from a Carl Prestidge free kick in the third minute which was followed two minutes later by Blackie failing to make contact with a cross low across Woodley’s goal area. Sam Guze was denied in the host’s penalty area, while an Idris Kamara interception prevented a shot on Reed’s goal, Richardson shot straight at Brimscombe’s keeper Ashley Gale and Woodley’s Ashley Ledger cleared off his own goal line in the fourteenth minute.

It was a pass from Blackie that set John Evans’ up for the hosts’ second goal in the twenty first minute. Woodley responded with Ledger firing a thirty yard free kick straight at Gale, Gale was first to get to the ball when in a one on one with Prestidge and then spread himself large to deny Richardson with only the keeper to beat six minutes from half time.

The second half saw good attacking play involving multiple passes from Woodley but again they were unable to beat Gale who denied both Richardson and Danny Horscroft while Toby Briggs fired over the cross bar on the hour mark. With Ed Thomas introduce on the left flank both he and Guze enjoyed good possession in driving Woodley forward but the closest to a goal went to Brimscombe’s Dan Hill who hit the upright and the ball cleared of the goal line to safety.  

As United pushed for a goal they the play became stretched and Idris Kamara conceded a penalty with eight minutes remaining but which Ollie Pitt put over the cross bar. Reed was called upon to catch a long range effort on his goal line with three minutes remaining Richardson put a shot wide as the match entered stoppage time and in the final moments Horscroft effort landed on the roof of the net to give the home team all three points in a two nil win.

Fairford Town 1 Oxford City Nomads 3
It was the proverbial game of two halves at Cinder Lane as Oxford City Nomads made their numerical advantage count to snuff out a determined Fairford Town effort. 

The hosts had started well but after Steve Hall's second yellow card of the game three minutes before the break, the Reds faced an uphill battle to maintain parity after going into the interval at 0-0. 

Nomads' top scorer Sami Khawaja broke the deadlock ten minutes into the second period with his 16th goal in 24 outings. Bradley Singh doubled the lead with 67 played before Fairford's top scorer Lee Smith reduced the arrears with a penalty three minutes later. 

Fairford put in a stern effort to draw level but a goal one minute in to added time from Kreece Martei sealed the points for the visitors on a chilly Gloucestershire afternoon.

Flackwell Heath 3 Windsor 1 (away view)
Flackwell Heath took all 3 points in a match that may well have gone the other way if the early chances had been converted and Windsor had finished with a full compliment of players. Chances in the first 10 minutes for the visitors were not put away and it too 29 minutes for Paul Coyne to squeeze home the only goal of the half to give Windsor a deserving half time lead. Windsor's second half was not to be helped when 4 minutes before the break Jack Denton was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

It took only 8 minutes of the second half for Charlie Samuel to level things and only 5 more minutes for him to put the hosts in front. Four minutes later Dean Allen slotted a third.   Despite half chances by Keiran Knight, Gus Bowles and Riccardo Cannon for Windsor and further chances for Flackwell Heath no further goals were scored and the hosts took all the 3 points. 

Tuffley Rovers 2 Abingdon United 0
Tuffley Rovers recorded their first win of 2018, bringing to an end a run of three consecutive defeats in the process, as a brace from Brett James secured a 2-0 win over Abingdon United on Saturday afternoon. Rovers’ manager, Mark Pritchett’s pre-match commentary had called upon his squad start games in better fashion, after accusing them of being “sloppy” in recent games, but those words appeared to have gone unheeded - despite recalls for Joel White, Warren Mann and Ashley Bird – as Abingdon United controlled the early exchanges.

After Sam Wharton’s shot flew inches wide, John Dennis went down as White challenged him in the Rovers box, leading to claims for a penalty, but referee Darren Hill waved the appeals away. Conor Ingram had another half-chance for the visitors, without troubling Dave Evans in the Rovers’ goal, before Warren Mann’s cross was just too high for Bird, who strained his neck muscles but could only head over Eddie Cavanagh’s bar from six yards out, on 27 minutes. Such as been Rovers’ inability to convert possession into goals this season, Pritchett might have feared that his side would regret Bird’s miss, but he had little to fear, as James opened the scoring just three minutes later. When the ball found its way out to Mann, who had taken up an advanced position on the left-hand side, his cross looked to be too close to Cavanagh, but the Abingdon keeper dropped the ball and the quick thinking James was on-hand to poke the ball over the line from close range, on 30 minutes, handing Rovers a lead they had barely deserved, in the process.

Just two minutes later, James took advantage of another misjudgement by the visiting defence, as he beat the advancing keeper to a loose ball, before showing great composure, before striking the ball, in clinical fashion, to put the ball beyond the covering defender and into the net, to make it 2-0. That was the last notable action of the first half, although Ingram had a shot that went well wide shortly before the interval, as Abingdon continued to keep the game competitive, despite Rovers’ two goal advantage.

The second-half remained a genuinely end-to-end game, but without either keeper being seriously tested. Both sides had a fairly even share of possession, but struggled to create chances and it took until the closing moments before the game truly came to life. With less than ten minutes remaining, Dave Evans made a terrific flying save to beat away Tom Butler’s free-kick from the edge of the box, but as he tried to recover, the referee, Mr Hill, adjudged a foul to have taken place and awarded the visitors a penalty kick, with the game already in injury time.

Substitute Graham Edney stepped up to take the spot-kick, and although he struck the ball well, Evans guessed correctly and dived to his right to push the ball away from goal, before Brett James eventually cleared. Evans’ save proved to be the last moment of note and, despite almost eight minutes of additional time, Pritchett’s men held out to record a much needed victory and a fifth clean sheet of the season.

Wantage Town 4 Ascot United 1 (away view)
Ten-man Ascot United endured a miserable afternoon with a heavy defeat at Wantage. The Yellamen were good value in going in level at the break – but the game was totally spoilt by a questionable dismissal that paved the way for a second half of torment. Ascot manager Neil Richards had strengthened his defensive options by signing Bracknell centre back Adam Kirkby 24 hours earlier, and he was a much needed-addition to the starting line-up against a Wantage side that had lost just one league game since mid-October.

However, his debut would turn out to be an unpleasant one after his dismissal before half time, although in truth there should at least have been red cards for the hosts for their part as protagonists. Before the game had been spoilt, it had actually been a decent affair. Wantage started brightly and won a seventh minute penalty which Ryan Markham struck low but which Lee Allen palmed away. Allen then nicked the ball off Ben Willoughby’s foot when clean through after 15 minutes, but the visitors played their way into the game and Rob Lazarczuk’s stinging drive was palmed over by Curtis Meare following Callum Carlisle’s drive forwards.

With the wind and the slope behind them, Wantage continued to push, and it took a trio of brilliant interceptions from George Lock to keep them at back. First, he denied Willoughby a shooting chance, then he blocked from Jim Glover after Steve Robertson’s lay-off, and then – three minutes before the break – rescued his side again after Robertson had wriggled clear of Louis Bouwers. In between all that Matt Jones could and should have given Ascot the lead, but Meare stood up well to deny him when one on one after Jones had initially capitalised on a defensive howler.

But the second half was one to forget for the visitors. Dan Comer soon exploited the numerical advantage with a looping header past Allen in the 49th minute, before Jack Powell nearly added a second moments later. Powell then turned provider for Jack Dunmall to make it 2-0 and then Robertson lobbed home number three – all within ten minutes of the restart, before substitute Sam Shepherd’s cross-shot made it 4-0 with 74 minutes on the clock.

Having already been kicked around, the Yellamen would lose Goodey to a hamstring injury, and the misery continued up until the final whistle when Lazarczuk saw his penalty saved after substitute Mo Davies was fouled. The rest is history, best confined to a locked drawer never to be opened!

One East

AFC Aldermaston 1 Didcot Town Reserves 1 (away view)
The Reserves made the trip to the Atomic Weapons Establishment for this league encounter on what was a gluepot pitch given recent weather. A visit here is interesting with steam emanating from open pipes next to the pitch and a hotch potch of different looking buildings near the pitch however there is a very good pub on site with great food choices. 

The teams had to dig the ball out to move it which made it awkward to play consistent football. Alex Marshall was caught offside in the first minute however the first chance was carved out in the second minute when Callum Caron hit the side netting for the homesters. A Ross MacDonald cross for the Railwaymen brought a corner and this was the first of many towdry corners which much pushing and holding going on.  Three minutes later and a MacDonald run found a cross toe poked towards goal by Chris Mortimore with the home keeper saving. More pressure brought a corner for Didcot with Siji Akinlosi heading wide. 

A Tom Stone cross found Marshall offside for the visitors and almost immediately a home cross was missed by several attackers and was diverted for a corner. With 20 minutes on the clock Ross MacDonald skinned his man out wide however with no one to pass to his shot was over the bar from an angle. Ross Tanner was well placed to head off the line from a home corner and not long after Jack Woodley in the Didcot goal had a fine save from a low shot. From a Didcot ball over the top Ross MacDonald had a shot saved and diverted towards Alex Marshall but his shot from close in hit the side netting when it looked to have gone in. Keiran Collins had an interesting run towards goal and his touch off to Mortimore but the home keeper got to it. The first half action finished with a Ross Tanner cross being tipped over the bar for another Didcot corner. 

The second half had less clear chances but two goals and a missed penalty! A great Akinlosi run out wide found his cross meeting Mortimore who could not get past the last defender. Unfortunately the game took a dramatic twist with Callum Young bringing down a Home player and the referee awarding a penalty which was duly dispatched to put Aldermaston one up.

Didcot made a raft of early substitutions with Isaac, Kitchener and Parish replacing tired legs and an injury and this brought new life to Didcot. Iasaac was brought down on the edge of the box which may have been a penalty but it turned out not to matter as Jack Kitchener rifled a beauty in to the corner of the net to tie the game one all. Iasaac held the ball up well and laid off for Kitchener to shoot wide. 

Keiran Collins was entering the box for Didcot and was brought down and Kitchener stepped up for the penalty but the home keeper made a save and the ball was cleared. Another move forward resulted in Isaac laying the ball back to MacDonald but again the home keeper got something on it for a fruitless corner. Although the referee played 5 minutes of injury time neither team could carve out the winner and both ended with a point each. 

Chalfont Wasps 2 Bicester Town 3
Wasps hosted table topping Bicester at The Nest and were unlucky not to get at least a point. Wasps put in one of their best performances of the season and scored what will probably be their goal of the season.

Wasps took 5 minutes to find their stride as both sides initially probed without much menace. Wasp subsequently dominated long periods of the first half in terms of well measured passing and possession. Rushd Hamid turn and strike after 10 mins was Wasps first effort on goal. At the other end Dan Little in goal and chasing fullback Jack Pearce thwarted a Bicester chance. Bicester's Gavin Kidd headed in the resultant corner from close range after 11 minutes. Wasps then had most of the play. Tom Fifield connected well but was just off target. Hamid had a cross-shot moments later as Wasps started to create some real chances. Mikey Benning then Ryan Welsh had chances as play continued in the Bicester third of the pitch. Wasps deserved equaliser was superb and came just before the interval on 44 minutes. Numaan Khan hit the right channel, Hamid first time cross found Benning 12 yards out on the angle, and his first time reverse header looped over the hapless Bicester keeper into the far corner. Wasps continued to push and were adjudged off-side a couple of times before both teams retired for the interval.

Sadly for the Stingers they went 1-2 down early in the second half, a copy cat of the first one conceded, this time Stuart Bridges heading home after 52 minutes. Wasps never reached their first half level, partly because Bicester pressed higher up the pitch and overloaded midfield to stop the first half possession Wasps enjoyed. Despite this Wasps chances kept coming. Welsh blazed wide from the angle and later on drove over the top. The game opened up. Nick Little came on. Dan Little made a good stop with his feet before Bridges got his brace and Bicester's third with 15 minutes of normal time remaining. Michael Green entered the fray and Josh Urquhart pushed into midfield. Welsh got Wasps second in the dying minutes to set up a grand finale but Wasps were unable to the point they deserved.

Sandhurst Town 3 Penn & Tylers Green 2 (report by Arthur Strand)
Sandhurst were hosts to last years Division One East Champions, Penn & Tylers Green last Saturday at Bottom Meadow. Surprise! In the first minute, the Fizzers pulled the ball out of defence, along the right wing and the incoming ball, crossing the face of goal was met head first by Conor Harlowe and netted beyond Penn's keeper. A stunning start for Sandhurst but Penn countered, forcing a corner kick. As the ball sailed into the box, it was met by keeper, Tom Field, who punched the ball clear for Sam Green to head out of the penalty area. Approaching the half way line, Bobby Mitchell received a head injury and play was delayed for about 5 minutes. He resumed with a bandage and Sandhurst conceded a free kick. Sam Green put a stop to that approach to goal. Adam Harman moved into the Sandhurst penalty area to latch on to an aerial ball but punched the ball into the net, receiving a yellow card for his misdemeanour. At the opposite end, calamity struck the visitors when an infringement of the laws of football materialised into a penalty which Charlie Oakley converted in the 24th minute. Penn were becoming somewhat disorganised and with the ball bobbling all around their penalty area, the defenders were somewhat relieved when Jordan Gumbs chested down the ball but it went out of play foe a corner. After clearing, Jon Malone was fouled and a free kick reinforced Sandhurst's dominance then Josh Mynard forced another corner kick. As 36 minutes ticked over on the clock, Charlie Oakley ran goal ward from the inside right flank and leathered the ball between Keeper and the far upright at an angle. Sandhurst now had a cushion and Penn were looking fraught and seemingly desperate although they gained a corner kick which Harry Oakley blocked any further progress with that effort. Sandhurst missed a chance which sailed high over the bar. A late shot by Adam Harman for Penn failed to net as the half finished at 3 - 0 to the hosts.

Penn started the second half positively when Casey Bocarro sent a shot straight to Tom Field. Sandhurst did not take any real advantage of a free kick for a foul on Conor Harlowe and Sam Green cleared the ball. Jon Malone saw a yellow card and Penn gained a free kick which cleared Field's crossbar. A handball while on the turf in the area after a sustained attack by Penn meant Sandhurst conceded a penalty which skipper, Danny Jordan scored in the 59th minute. 5 minutes later Penn were awarded another penalty and Danny Jordan netted that one as well. With just under half an hour of play left, Sandhurst had to fight to keep the lead as Penn had rallied with only a single goal deficit. At least they found themselves at Penn's end. Charlie Oakley vied with a defender, landed on the turf and the ball went out of play so play continued with a corner followed by another. Eventually Penn escaped then Bobby Mitchell slowed down the game but Penn still made ground as it was Sandhurst's turn to clear from their back line but Penn, now revitalised, were attacking strongly with a shot rebounding from the crossbar. As time passed, Penn were more positive than in the first half meaning that Sam Green, Freddie Barron and Tom Cooper had their work cut out in defence. Substitutes were made and, player/manager, Luke Turkington, allowed himself the last few minutes of the game to keep control with hope that the score stayed at 3 - 2 and 3 more points for Sandhurst.

Sandhurst Town 3 Penn & Tylers Green 2 (away view)
Penn & Tylers Green lost only their second league game of the season on Saturday at Sandhurst Town’s Bottom Meadow ground. This match lived up to the old cliché of,” a game of two halves!”. Penn got off to the worst possible start and were one down after two minutes. Sandhurst burst down the right wing and the low cross was headed in by the on rushing Sandhurst forward Conor Harlowe, who nipped in front of goalkeeper Matt Cannings to head home from three yards out.

Penn responded through a shot from Adam Harman which was cleared for a corner which came to nothing. Penn did have the ball in the Sandhurst net after 22 minutes but Adam Harman had punched in James Pritchard’s free kick and was booked for his misdemeanor. On 25 minutes after some sustained pressure from Sandhurst their forward burst through unchallenged and Matt Cannings was forced to bring him down and the resulting penalty was tucked confidentially away by Charlie Oakley.

On 30 minutes Sandhurst almost went further ahead but Penn cleared off their line for a lucky escape. Then, after 36 minutes Penn conceded a third goal when Charlie Oakley again proved a thorn In their side as he raced from the right hand side once again unchallenged and coolly slotted the ball across Matt Cannings into the far corner of the net.

Penn did hit almost get back in the game on 43 minutes when Danny Jordan met a Casey Bocarro corner and headed against the foot of the far post. Then with the half time whistle about to blow Adam Harman steamed through hand unleashed a shot which went narrowly wide. Half time came with Penn actually now in the ascendancy.

Penn came out for the second half with real intent and an early effort from Casey Bocarro was saved by the Sandhurst keeper. Penn were now the far better team and in the 59th minute after some sustained pressure and some good resolute last ditch defending from Sandhurst, Penn finally reaped their reward when a Sandhurst defender clearly handled the ball; 3-1, game on. Just five minutes later Penn were awarded another penalty when Chris Hurst burst through and was bundled over. Up stepped Danny Jordan again to put the ball in the same corner as the first penalty to make the score 3-2; game definitely on!

Sandhurst were now very much “backs against the wall”, but they always had the counter attack threat and from one such attack after 82 minutes, a very good cross from the right was headed firmly towards the Penn goal from 8 yards and Matt Cannings made what can only be described as a world class save to tip the ball over the bar and keep Penn in the game.

With the game slipping away George Weller chased a ball down to the right of the Sandhurst goal and reached the ball first and was absolutely fouled by the Sandhurst goalkeeper, but to the amazement of all in the ground, except the referee and linesman of course, no penalty was given.

That was the last action of note and although Penn pushed right to the end the equaliser was not to be. Well done to Sandhurst who probably deserved their win for their dominant first half performance but a fantastic recovery by Penn in the second half and if vital decisions had gone their way a draw may have been forthcoming.

Virginia Water 6 Milton United 0
VWFC maintained a strong push for a top three finish, with a good win against a very resilient Milton side, who were missing a couple of players of their own.

The visitors were very well organised and frustrated Waters in the first quarter, with few clear chances to either side, apart from a clearance off the line, when Marc Lansdowne’s shot seemed destined to put us ahead. Clearly, the first goal would be crucial, and when Waters got it, it was worth the wait.

Adam McNamara, excellent throughout, got the ball out wide, and delivered a pin point cross for Steve Williams (MoM), to volley home on 25 minutes. Thereafter, we gained control and got our second on 39 minutes, when the equally excellent Josh Hill, crossed, for Steve again to powerfully head home. At the other end, the back five were rarely troubled, with Matt not having too busy an afternoon, suitably protected by his defence.

Early in the second half there was a crucial period, when Milton counter attacked, to be thwarted by a last ditch tackle by Adam Mills, but as the ball broke to their striker he chipped over Matt in goal, but Adam again recovered to clear off the line. From that play Waters surged forward and Adam McNamara slotted home his first on 51 minutes, when put through on goal.

With the result all but done, Adam got his second on 62 minutes, when he volleyed home from close range after Marc had headed on Finn’s long throw. Our fifth was scored by Josh Guichard on 69 minutes, who side footed home, following a cross from Millsy – the least Josh deserved having gone close on three or four previous occasions. The last was our sixth, and fittingly a hat-trick for Adam, who was on hand to tap home on 81 minutes, after Josh had seen his shot parried by their excellent keeper.

A clean sheet was pleasing, and credit must be given to the rebuilding Milton side, who showed terrific spirit and contributed to an entertaining game.

One West

Ardley United 3 v Pewsey Vale 2
This was a thrilling game and it had it all.  Ardley started strongly and got off to a great start when in the 10th minute Greg Hackett scored a great goal. He dribbled and weaved his way around several defenders before unleashing an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box into the top right corner. Hackett was rewarded again with another stunning strike. A great cross field pass from Daniel West went flying high over to the far side of the penalty area and the advancing Hackett ran on to it perfectly to smash it on the volley into the goal.

The 2nd half saw Pewsey come out with a higher tempo and a defensive error presented Pewsey’s David Cope with a simple finish to pull his side back into the game. Ardley seemed to still be looking comfortable until the 69th minute, when referee David Nicholson presented Hackett with his 2nd yellow card. Both yellows he received seemed harsh and now Ardley had to show character being down to 10 men. Thankfully, Deon Gallacher was having a great game and made no mistake when set up by Lewis Gabbidon and put Ardley 3-1 up 0n 74 minutes.

Ardley had another great opportunity when new signing Henry Landers was clean through on goal with the keeper to beat from 10 yards out but was pulled back on his shirt by the Pewsey defender for what seemed like a stone wall penalty and a 4-1 lead. However, the referee didn’t see it and Pewsey went down the other end Pewsey scored to make it 3-2 in the 88th minute.

Ardley thought they would have a tough couple of minutes to hang in there, but with 8 minutes of injury time being played, they had to hang on a lot longer. Some fine goalkeeping by Tom Molloy and resolute defending kept Pewsey at bay and secured 3 points for Ardley. With 2nd placed Easington losing, it means Ardley United are now 8 points clear with a game in hand at the top of Hellenic League Division One West.

Clanfield 85 2 Cheltenham Saracens 2
Clanfield 85 threw away a two goal lead to share the points with a robust Cheltenham Saracens.Clanfield gave a full debut to Youth Team goalkeeper Luke Haley who became the ninth member of the youth setup to figure in the First Team. The home side made the early running and Karl Roberts tested the Cheltenham goalkeeper in the 6th minute. The visitors then created two shooting chances both of which were off target.Clanfield were ahead in the 14th minute when Jozef Fullerton’s free kick was headed on by Connor Tinsley in to the path of Zac Oliver who blasted home. It was 2-0 in the 25th minute when Fullerton and Oliver set up Roberts to score.Poor defending in the 40th minute saw the visitors reduce the areas when Jack Skleinar shot home. Tinsley headed a Jack Payne corner wide and Cheltenham went close as the half drew to its end a deflected shot going just wide.

Clanfield started the second half well and Tinsley won an early corner taken by Payne which was adjudged to have gone out of play before hitting the crossbar. The visitors then broke away and hit the post with Haley clearing up the ensuing goalmouth scrimmage by diving on to the ball. Roberts was the victim of two heavy tackles the second of which saw him take no further part in the game. The perpetrator of the second tackle was fortunate to remain on the field the Referee indicating that he had not seen the offence clearly. The visitors equalised in the 87th minute when Teejay Hoskins forced the ball in from close range for a share of the points.

Woodstock Town 0 Headington Amateurs 5 (away view)
Goalless for most of the first half this looked like being a tight game but two goals in four minutes before the break gave Headington a cushion & they eventually ran out comfortable winners.

On a good surface at New Road both sides strove for an early advantage, Woodstock’s Callum Green driving wide from a good position & Headington’s Chris Peck seeing his effort from outside the box tipped over by Matthew Crowther. Zee Mawema saw a decent effort saved by Crowther who also foiled Luke Cuff, diving at his feet from Chris Peck’s through ball. The game turned in the space of a minute just past the half hour mark, Green’s fierce shot from a tight angle beaten away by Harry Jenkins & Headington breaking away before Luke Cuff & Shaun Jacob combined to set up Mawema for the opening goal, Jacob’s precise cross from the goal line converted at the far post. Minutes later & Headington had their second, Jay Hill firing home an unstoppable free kick from twenty yards.

Ollie Hawkins had an early chance for Woodstock after the break but dragged his shot wide before Benji Cuff & Jacob combined to set Liam Morbey clear, Crowther again quickly off his line to clear the danger. Within a minute though Headington had made it three. Intricate build up play kept the ball alive with Peck eventually driving home from fifteen yards out. The visitors extended their lead with a sixty second minute goal from wing back Morbey, heading home from close range after Mawema’s first effort from Jacob’s cross had been blocked. With five minutes left Mawema passed up the chance to make it five when he lifted a penalty kick over the cross bar but made amends in the last minute, finishing off a fine move involving Hill & substitute Henry Bone.


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator