header uhlsport link

8-10 January 2018

buildbaseBuildbase FA Vase - Fourth Round Replay

Bracknell Town 2 Blackfield & Langley 1
Bracknell Town became the third Uhlsport Hellenic League club to reach the last 16 of the Buildbase FA Vase when they defeated Blackfield & Langley 2-1 in their fourth-round replay. he Robins join Thatcham and Windsor, which is not only a tremendous achievement for the league, but also for the Berks & Bucks FA, with the trio involved in the quarter-finals of the counties' Senior Cup as well.

A crowd of around 400 saw one of the best games seen at Larges Lane this season, with both sides, especially Bracknell, producing high-quality football at a fast pace. It was what cup football is all about and an even more entertaining game than the first meeting the previous Saturday, even though that tie did end 3-3 after extra time. The Robins turned on a superb display of attacking football in the first half and a stout defensive display in the second to book their place in the fifth round, where they will be away to the winners of this Saturday's replay between Coleshill and Newcastle Benfield.

Midlands League leaders Coleshill, who also have a 3G pitch like Bracknell, were losing semi-finalists last year, while Newcastle are currently 13th in the Northern League but rated odds-on to win the replay. Bracknell made two changes for the replay with TJ Bohane and Justin Clayton coming in for Kensley Maloney and Joe Gater respectively, and there was also a change of formation with two men up front after Adam Cornell had been the lone striker on Saturday.

Bracknell flew out of the blocks and their early pressure paid off in the ninth minute. Skipper Carl Davies delivered a superbly-accurate long diagonal ball to Bowerman wide on the left, and he cut inside before crossing for Bohane to turn home at the near post. Bowerman and Joe Grant, on the opposite flank, were a constant threat and it was a foul on Grant that earned Town a 28th-minute penalty, which Bowerman dispatched for his 17th goal of the season. Grant went close to adding a third before half-time, cracking a rising shot against the crossbar.

In the second half, Town became less of an attacking force, being pushed back as Blackfield stepped up a couple of notches in a bid to get back into the game. Town defended well – with Ryan Parsons making one particularly brave block - and it was only a penalty, conceded by keeper Chris Grace, which gave the visitors the chance to reduce the arrears through Franklyn Clarke in the 81st minute.

It meant a nervy finish for Bracknell, but they held out for a thoroughly deserved victory to keep alive their dream of a Wembley final.


  bluefin sport insurance  

Bluefin Sport Hellenic League Challenge Cup

Chalvey Sports 0 Windsor 2 (away view)
Windsore are through to round four of the Bluefin Sport Hellenic League Challenge Cup this season after a hard fought win against Chalvey Sports at Arbour Park.

The first half of the third round tie ended goalless although Riccardo Cannon headed against the crossbar and Matt Stockill hit the post. The best chance however fell to The Stabmonks but Windsor keeper Hugo Sobte pulled off a brilliant save to deny Bryan Taylor, the low penalty kick pushed onto the left hand post with a strong right hand.

The deadlock was broken with 13 minutes still to play when Cannon converted a Nadir Shafi cross low and across keeper Kieran Hudson with the ball going in off the post.

Windsor secured their progress with a second goal four minutes from the final whistle. Kieran Knight saw his shot blocked by the body and head of Sean Robinson but the ball fell loose for Shafi to convert into the empty net from close range.

Chalvey, two divisions below Windsor, performed admirably but the only blot on their book was a straight red card for Liam Hylait in the third minute of time added on - presumably for dissent towards the match referee. The match was played in front of an enthusiastic local crowd of 221 spectators.


Tuffley Rovers 1 Brimscombe & Thrupp 2
A spirited second half display wasn’t enough to salvage Tuffley Rovers’ hopes of securing a place in the third round of the 2017/18 Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup, as they lost 2-1 to Brimscombe & Thrupp, with former Bristol City youngster, Harrison Reeves, scoring the decisive goal, seven minutes into the second half. Rovers boss, Mark Pritchett, selected Kieran Squires at centre-half, partnering Shayne Anson in the absence of the injured Macaulay Herbert, after he completed a move, on dual registration basis, from Slimbridge, whilst Will Emery, Shayne Bradley, Liam Wright and Danny Wallington all earned recalls following a defeat on Boxing Day, against the same opposition, which was Rovers’ last outing. Warren Mann, Courtney Hamilton and Joel White were all unavailable, as they served out suspensions.

However, it was the visitors who started the game brightly with Ben Deakin and the diminutive Reeves particularly prominent and they took the lead after just seven minutes into the tie. Reeves burst into space between the Rovers midfield and back four, before slipping a neat pass through to Ollie Pitt, who found himself goalside of Wright, Rovers’ left-back. The desperate, sliding tackle that followed looked to be outside of the box, but Wright was adjudged to have committed a foul and the Referee’s Assistant signalled that the infringement took place in the area. Pitt picked himself up to despatch the ball beyond Rovers’ keeper Dave Evans and into the net.

Pritchett’s almost found an immediate route back into the game but John Evans was on hand to turn away Bradley’s cross, with Emery lurking and ready to shoot, before Ashley Caldwell produced a shot that forced Evans into a save at the front post. As the half progressed neither Evans nor the visiting keeper, Lewis Skyers, were greatly troubled, but it was Brimscombe who looked most likely to score, as Reeves, Deakin and Pitt all looked to impress. Deakin picked up a hamstring injury, forcing Brimscombe’s manager, Sam Prior, to introduce Ed Major mid-way through the half, and that gave Rovers an opportunity to get a foothold in the tie, with Brett James almost meeting a terrific cross from Emery moments before the half-time break arrived.

The second period started with Pitt almost immediately scoring, only to be denied by a superb goalline clearance from Squires, but the returning defender’s work proved to be in vain, on 52 minutes, when Reeves found space on the edge of the box before producing a swerving shot that deceived Evans and found its way into the net, to make it 2-0. Falling further behind appeared to ignite some renewed spirit in the Rovers ranks and only a fantastic save from Skyers, to deny Bradley, kept the visitors two-goal advantage intact.

Although a more sustained period of pressure ensued, Rovers were short on clear chances, but they did finally get themselves back into the tie, on 68 minutes, when James did well to dispossess Brimscombe’s Chris Pates, before crossing to Bradley, who turned the ball home from six yards out. Sam Blackie, who had scored the goal which separated the sides on Boxing Day, might have scored on 77 minutes, only to be denied by an excellent block from Evans, and Rovers pressed hard for a route back into the game, but they didn’t test Skyers significantly and it was the visitors who progressed to the next round of the competition, courtesy of a 2-1 win, when the referee sounded his whistle at full-time.

Virginia Water 4 Oxford City Nomads 3
Waters advanced to the Quarter Final with a thrilling win against our Premier League opponents on a cold and drizzly night. Thankfully, the Stag Meadow pitch was in terrific condition, and the match did not let the spectators down at all.

It was clear in the early exchanges that Waters had not played for a month, whilst our opponents were by far the sharper, forcing Matt in goal into two excellent early saves. We gradually got into the game, and came to life when the excellent Adam McNamara put Josh Guichard through on goal, only to be thwarted by a good save.

Soon after, on 25 minutes, roles were reversed, when Josh put Adam through, to calmly slot passed their keeper. It was end to end from then on, with both sides looking likely to score. In a crazy end to the half, OCN equalised with a great goal on 41 minutes, that saw their winger cross, to see their striker’s shot saved by Matt, only for their winger to smash home the rebound. Not to be outdone, we drove forward, and from a Finn Evered throw, the ball fell to Lorenzo Di Felice on the edge of the box, who swivelled and rifled home to restore our lead on 42 minutes. On the stroke of half time, from a Steve Williams free-kick, Finn rose highest to head home a glorious effort and put us 3-1 up at the break.

The second half was also fast and frenetic, with Waters back four holding firm, with Mark Lansdowne (MoM), Finn, Louis and Millsy, dealing admirably with all OCN could throw at them. At the other end we went close a few times, before Adam nipped in to nick the ball off their Centre Back, who rashly brought him down. Josh calmly slotted home the spot kick on 71 minutes to make it 4-1.

We went close with further efforts from Mark, Josh, Lennie and Adam, but to their credit OCN were not done, and pulled a goal back on 82 minutes to create a nervy end to the match. A fantastic free kick in injury time was the least our visitors deserved, but Waters saw the game through to record a memorable win and advance to the Quarter Finals.


uhlsport football kitPremier Division

Ascot United 2 Flackwell Heath 2
Ten-man Flackwell Heath recovered from going 2-0 down inside eight minutes to draw 2-2 on Tuesday evening, with all the goals coming in the first half. The visitors were reduced to ten men in the second half, but the home side could not capitalise on their numerical advantage and inflict a rare defeat on the Heathens.

Flackwell desperately needed a win to keep their slim promotion chances alive. The relentless pressure of those above them had stressed their own prospects in recent weeks, and with ex-Yellamen Charlie Samuels and Josh Dillon in their ranks, there was an added bite to proceedings. The Yellamen were in equal need of a win for different reasons, but knocks to playmakers Samir Regragui and Trevor Mutero at the weekend out paid to their chances of starting the game, making a difficult prospect even more challenging.

Ascot’s patched up ranks made a whirlwind start to the game and found themselves two goals up inside eight minutes. Firstly, referee Mourad Bougouizi made the correct decision not to award a fifth minute penalty to Ascot even though Louis Bouwers was bundled over in attacking James Goodey’s free-kick, allowing Mo Davies to bundle the ball home after play had been allowed to continue. Then, Bouwers, immense in the first period, catalysed a second goal in the eighth minute after his bold run from defence paved the way for Goodey to slide Barry Dunbar in – and Dunbar rounded David Lyons before firing home from a tight angle.

However, the Heathens struck back swiftly when Francis Amartey’s low strike beat Lee Allen in the tenth minute – despite Allen getting a hand to the firmly struck shot – and Allen would be the busier of the two ‘keepers as the half elapsed. Sheridan Campbell’s arrowed effort whizzed across Allen’s six-yard box and was deflected wide for a 17th minute corner and Allen then twice saved with his feet from the same player in the 22nd and 28th minutes. 

Flackwell did, however, eventually level matters in the 34th minute with a goal owing much to the quick thinking of Lyons. With Ascot on the attack, Lyons’ quick clearance found Amartey on the left wing, and the dangerous winger danced through 50 yards and numerous challenges before bundling the ball past Allen. Ascot finished the half more vigorously and Matt Jones might have done better with a near post header from Davies’ 42nd minute corner, but it remained level at the interval.

Mutero was introduced at half time, and although he and his team mates huffed and puffed, the second half failed to live up to the standards of its predecessor. That was, in part, due to the sweeper-esque characteristics of Ascot ‘keeper Allen – who would frequently scamper from his area to deny the marauding Heathens – and the commanding assuredness of his opposite number Lyons, who dealt with everything Ascot threw at him.

Flackwell were reduced to ten men in the 63rd minute when Mitch Woodward crudely kicked out at Mutero and received his marching orders, although they almost scored five minutes later but for a fabulous goal-line clearance by the hosts’ Callum Carlisle.

Samuels saw a succession of long range efforts sail over for the Heathens and Dunbar might have had the last laugh for Ascot with a difficult first-time shot at the near post from George Lock’s right-wing cross, but 2-2 is how it remained.


One East

Thame Rangers 4 AFC Aldermaston 0
Thame Rangers made three changes to their starting line up with Christian Deste returning after a short lay off, Carl Clay and Zach Crawford making the starting line up and full first team debuts after impressing in the reserves. James Hawes returned to the bench after a longer period out through Injury. Aldermaston reported on their website before the game that they will travel away to Thame Rangers with Manager Kieran Jennings having a full squad available and will include Chace Jewell back from injury whilst new signing Josh Drew is included.

Thame started the game with good energy and intent and Miles Baxter nearly created an opening as his cross from the right nearly found Dan Hatton after only seconds. A minute later and Rangers did open the scoring. After good pressure, Carl Clay won the ball. His clever pass found Patrick Buston, who lopped the advancing keeper from the edge of the box as the ball bounced up kindly for him. Further pressure resulted in efforts for the home side as the visitors found it hard to find any momentum. Dan Hatton fired wide, Miles Baxter hit straight at the keeper, Clay rained a few shots in from distance and corner after corner failed to increase the lead. Aldermaston were gifted a penalty on 18 minutes when the ball was clearly won in a fair tackle. Aldermaston’s Kai Parton-Edey stepped up and hit a well-placed effort to Dan Bowkers left. Bowker guessed correctly and palmed the ball off for a corner. The resulting corner was cleared and Rangers broke and forced another corner. Hatton crossed the ball into a dangerous area and good movement presented a volley for Charlie Attwell. Attwell accepted and volleyed home from the penalty spot. After the restart, Aldermaston began to grow into the game and showed what a good side they can be. A couple of half chances that on another day could have produced goals came and went. Then on 34 minutes Buston got his second and Rangers third. Clay’s defence splitting pass found Bustons diagonal run from the left and Buston hit an unstoppable shot without breaking stride into the far bottom corner. The final kick of the half was from Baxter as he once more got the better of his marker with a run from the right. He rounded the fullback and hit a low shot that was heading for the far bottom corner only for the visiting keeper to pull off the save of the game. The half ended with Rangers 3 up and in control.

The half-time break gave Rangers time to rest and they started the second half in similar fashion to the first, not allowing the visitors any time to settle. Buston and Baxter were causing problems for the visiting defence in every attack and both had good chances to increase the lead before Christian Deste had a close range effort blocked on the line. Buston then intercepted a pass from the keeper just outside the box, but the keeper made up for his error with another good save. Another corner in from Hatton and a switch in Rangers set piece routine found Baxter unmarked. Baxter headed down and into the back of the net from 8 yards unchallenged to cap yet another good performance on 67 minutes. Aldermaston had one more attempt on goal from the spot again.  A second penalty for them was awarded from another clean tackle to the surprise to everyone in the ground.  A new taker and the same result as Bowker saved low to his right. The remainder of the game was played out and Rangers completed a well-deserved victory against a good, strong visiting Aldermaston.

One West


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator