header uhlsport link

7-8 January

uhlsport football kitHellenic League Division One Subsidiary Cup

Wokingham & Emmbrook 1 Woodley United 2 (report by Arthur Strand)
This cup tie is a group stage which the onus was on the hosts to win since Woodley could make no further progress whatever the result. With Wokingham losing, Aldermaston proceed into the next round so neither team are playing for much unless Suma's won.

Woodley took a shot, low and at Woodward, in goal after injury, before the visitors watched another shot sail over the crossbar. Harrison Moore fouled Bateman, free kick, Suma's. Robson sent a long ball upfield. Ellis Day shot direct to Sangwell, GK, Woodley. Edward Thomas sprinted well into Suma territory and Woodward had to chase the ball along the goal line. The next action saw Suma's move up and the ensuing cross was easy for Sangwell. With the ball at the other end, Woodley gained a corner and Woodward punched the ball clear. A free kick to Woodley took 3 heads to head the ball clear from Suma's area. Goal number one was in the 23rd minute when Max Laschok slotted the ball beyond Woodward's reach. Leon Mannion pushed the ball across the face of goal beyond the far post. Sumas made a break through when Connor Holland found Day in the Woodley area but no equaliser. with 2 successive free kicks, Max Laschok with plenty of time and space hit the post. After 3 minutes had been played, a penalty for a foul in Suma's are was taken by Laschok putting Woodley further in front. Then they gained a corner after Mannion cracked the ball from a central position which was tipped over the bar by Woodward. .Jewell broke through giving Woodward work and conceding a corner kick.

All substitutes were used in the second half by both teams. Woodley took a free kick as the 2nd half began and Suma's found the ball once more although Bateman only found the Woodley keeper. Jewell went through running and missed the target. Suma's then escaped from defence after a positive spell by Woodley. With Rushforth on soon followed by Jake White, then a goal back for Suma's as the ball went back from Woodley's area., in the 63rd minute. White took a free kick hoping to make the scorres level but Sangwell was behind the ball, for a regular save. The rest of the second half brought no more goals Suma's came close when the ball hit Woodley's crossbar The result means that neither side make further progress in the competition. All in all, an eqeually matched game played in a very good spirit.

Wokingham & Emmbrook:Woodward,(GK), Robson, Rowland, Commuskey, Marsh, Dean, Harris, N.Bateman,C. Holland, E. Day, Kell. Substitutes: Broadhurst, White, Clark, Rushforth, Winship.
Woodley United: Sangwell,(GK), Barron, Hagger, Barnard, R. Thmas, Alexander, E. Thomas, Moore, Mannion, Laschok, Jewell. Substitutes: Wilson, Briggs, Blakemore, Antunes.

Premier Division

Binfield 1 Ascot United 1 (away view)
Binfield goalkeeper Chris Grace produced a sensational late-save to deny Ascot United victory in a feisty local derby on Monday evening. With the game poised at one-all, Luqman Kassim’s effort took a wicked deflection en-route towards goal, but Grace somehow adjusted his feet before clawing the effort away at full stretch.

This was an important match for both sides who were each looking to bounce back from league defeats two days earlier. Second-placed Ascot were looking for an immediate response to their defeat at Brimscombe and Thrupp, whereas Binfield – who had lost at Shrivenham - still had to play more than half of their league programme and the onus was on them to eat into the advantage gained by the eleven teams above them.

Ascot made one change to Saturday’s starting line up with Fabien Etienne replacing James Haworth at left-back, whereas Binfield’s Grace and Gary Smith were well known to the visitors after their previous stints in yellow and blue.

Ascot would draw first blood on the quarter-of-an-hour mark when Jemel Johnson handled in the penalty area after Etienne had ghosted onto Chris Ellis’s long pass; Harry Laflin confidently burying the spot-kick.

Binfield’s best chances came from attacks down the left wing and Etienne needed to be alert to clear after Ian Davies’s cross had fizzed across and almost found Danny Horscroft; 22 minutes played.

Luqman Kassim then stung Grace’s palms as the sides traded chances, before Johnson levelled in the 27th minute, converting another left-wing cross.

Carl Davies’s lay-off from Charlie Tuttle’s pass paved the way for Horscroft to test Lee Allen from a tight angle as the Moles sought a second, although Dan Price saw two efforts go begging in quick succession for Ascot when he shot wide moments after his initial effort was blocked.

Johnson nipped in and lifted his shot over on the stroke of half time for Binfield, but the half ended all square.

The second half was a more disjointed affair, with ten minutes on the clock before Sean Moore’s cross was headed agonisingly back across goal and wide by Binfield’s Carl Davies.

Substitute Usman Lalustani almost scored within seconds of his 70th minute introduction only for Grace to palm away his rasping effort, and as the Yellamen grew in stature the odds looked to have swung in their favour when Smith was dismissed for an ugly challenge on Kassim. Sadly for Ascot, Etienne would also see red for over-zealously attempting to retrieve the ball in the aftermath, and both sides would play the final 15 minutes with ten men.

Nonetheless, Ascot laid siege to Binfield’s goal in the final two minutes, with Grace fumbling Price’s shot, Bouwers heading into a crowd of players and substitute Dom Sullivan somehow nodding wide from a couple of yards.

Grace then produced his moment of brilliance, although there was still time for him to keep out another long-range Kassim strike, before the referee bemused the travelling faithful by blowing for full time at least four minutes early.

Ascot United: Allen, Kibaki, F Etienne, Denton, Bouwers, Ellis, Sankoh (Lalustani), Laflin, Debattista (Sullivan), Price (Carlisle), Kassim. Subs unused: Lock, Haworth

Division One East

Thame Rangers 1 Holyport 1
In perfect conditions on a fresh night at The ASM Stadium Thame Rangers will feel a little hard done by as they done enough to win this fixture, striking the woodwork three times and having a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Rangers made one change to the side that performed well against Milton last Saturday bringing Finlay Murray into the starting line up at fullback. Rangers had more than their fair share of possession in the first half as they moved the ball around between departments and sides of the pitch creating chances. Holyport had only one thing in mind as long ball after long ball came out of their defence in hope of hitting their front three as early as possible. The first chances of the half fell to Rangers centre half Jordan Davis, who headed one opportunity over and had another saved from close range. Calvin Evans then had a direct free-kick saved by the visiting keeper. With their first real attacking effort and against the run of play Holyport took the lead. A left footed defence splitting cross from their right side was headed home from close range. Rangers responded straight away with a neat move involving more than half of the team resulted in the goal of the evening from 18 year old George Ashworth hitting his effort in the top corner from some 25 yards. Soon after Dan Hatton had a free-kick saved for Rangers and Jordan Rogers had efforts from distance that the visiting keeper saved. Numerous corners came to nothing for Rangers and the half ended all square.

The second half had more action and Rangers came out strong. Rangers continued to mix up styles of football and Holyport remained the same as long ball after long ball rained down on Rangers well organised defence. Hatton hit the post just after the restart then Miles Baxter cut in from the left and hit a right footed goal-bound effort that the visiting keeper turned around the post with his fingertips with the save of the night. Hatton then hit the post with another effort and Patrick Buston just shot wide. Rangers kept the pressure on and forced a number of corners, one of which should have led to the winning goal. The visiting keeper dropped the ball unchallenged and Matt Johnston was on hand to tap in from close range only for the referee to award a free-kick to the amazement of all. Murry struck the cross-bar from another corner and from other Rangers had three attempts in a scramble to score but failed. With Rangers looking for the win and throwing men forward Holyport managed a couple of counter attacks. From one such attack they forced a corner and from distance blazed pretty much their only effort of the half miles over. Late on Rangers had one more chance to gain the points but Murry scooped his effort way over.

A game on chances alone Rangers done enough to seal victory and will go down as an opportunity missed with Holyport being the happier of both sides.

Next up for Thame Rangers is another home fixture against Wokingham & Emmbrook this Saturday January 12th.


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator