header uhlsport link

19-21 February 2018


Bluefin Sport Supplementary Cup

AFC Aldermaston 2 Chalfont Wasps 1 (away view)
Rushd Hamid put the Wasps in front within three minutes of the kick off under lights and in the shadow of the Atomic Weapons Establishment. Wasps then gave a high octane performance for 70 minutes; however, the final 20 minutes proved crucial.

Wasps early goal provided an excellent platform and The Stingers played well, offering lots of threat, passion, pace, determination and urgency to dominate long periods of the match. A second goal would surely have sealed it. The first half saw Wasps force numerous corners and a couple of free kicks but they were unable to convert the chances these created. It remained 0-1 come half time.

Wasps now faced a stiff breeze but after a short period of defensive duties they began to develop more opportunities. A direct long Chris MacDonald clearance found Micky Benning, his shot on the angle was parried to safety. Hamid found Benning soon after, this time he was closed down before he could get his shot away. Aldermaston has their moments too, benefitting from the breeze to put wingers in positions to delivery crosses. Wasps Sam Parry struck a fierce long ranger that just dipped over and with 30 minutes remaining Benning thumped the cross bar. Aldermaston levelled with 20 minutes to go, but it was still on a knife edge. Benning went close again before the home side got the winner as Wasps energy levels inexplicably dwindled.

Carterton 4 Letcombe 1 (away view)
Letcombe were missing Tinashe Gwavava for this supplementary cup tie at Carterton, but welcomed back Chris Collin and included recent signing Gareth Brown. The match had been postponed on two previous occasions, but the pitch was in good condition considering the recent heavy rain.

Carterton took the lead early in the game when Letcombe gave away a free kick in a dangerous position, and Leon Morrison headed home. Charlie McCrerady had to twice race off his line to block shots for Letcombe, whilst at the other end, Harry Monger did well to spin in a tight space, but his shot was straight at home keeper Harry Ellis.

Letcombe had a chance to equalise early in the second half, but Adam Bruce`s shot was saved. Jack Heggie, Shemar Pettet and Andy Goodchild were all struggling with slight strains, and Carterton took advantage to increase their lead mid-way through the half with a great volley from Sean McKeon. Luke Mulvey and Zachary Pettifer replaced Heggie and Goodchild, but the hosts added two more goals, both scored by Josh McGrory as he raced clear on the right flank. Letcombe scored a consolation goal when Gareth Brown fired home a low shot in the last minute, but Carterton were the better side on the night.

Fairford Town 2 North Leigh United 1
Josh Gregory stepped off the bench to head home a late winner to seal a place in the next round of the Bluefin Sport Supplementary Cup. Fairford came from behind to seal the win, inflicting a first defeat in six games for visitors North Leigh United who put on an impressive showing. The home side made changes to the starting line-up with Kallum Thomas and Conor Lynch both cup-tied and Dan Reynolds rested after making a recent comeback from injury.

There were chances for both sides early on with Ben Saunders twice going close whilst Jake Steele came closest for the Division One West side. The second half was a much livelier encounter with home stopper Ben Mitchell making a string of fine saves to keep the Cinder Lane side in the tie.

It took a super strike to break the deadlock, with Ben Strong curling home an unstoppable effort in the 76th minute. However, Fairford’s Lee Smith found the perfect response with an equally impressive finish, as his effort four minutes later also found the top corner. And the game looked to be heading for an unwanted period of extra-time when Gregory stooped to head home Dan Bailey’s cross from the left to seal a second home victory inside seven days for the Reds.

Kidlington Reserves 2 Woodstock Town 0
Kidlington's young second team were in Bluefin Sport Supplementary Cup action Monday night and swept local rivals Woodstock aside with a comfortable 2-0 victory.

The match was settled by two teenagers with goals from Ewan Jones and the impressive Anton Mundy. In the 20th minute the greens took the lead after a fantasic cross from Jack Quainton was nodded beyond Woodstock keeper Matty Crowther and into the top corner. It was a classy goal from Kidlington’s young striker.

After that the match was controlled pretty much in Woodstock’s half until the 70th minute when Anton Mundy finished off a sweeping move with a neat finish. After this the greens coasted to victory. The Hellenic side have only lost once in eight games now and face another local derby in the next round versus Uhlsport Premier League outfit, Oxford City Nomads. The Greens are drawn at home with the date to be confirmed.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator