header uhlsport link

13-14 February 2018


Didcot Town Reserves 2 Bracknell Town 6
High flying Bracknell were the visitors to Loop Meadow Stadium for this Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup 3rd Round Match.  Top marks to the groundsman for producing a good pitch after the very wet weather. Didcot made an encouraging start with Tom Hoskin firing a shot at close range but the Bracknell keeper made a fine save. Ross MacDonald was raiding down the left wing and his cross was cut out but fell to Callum McNish who fire over the bar .Alex Marshall was next to cross but it was just too far for MacDonald to reach. Another MacDonald cross was blocked for a fruitless corner but shortly after MacDonald departed with a strain and was replaced by Issac.  Hoskin shot was saved from distance from a Marshall lay off and McNish fired just over the bar also.

That was as good as it got for the home team in the first half as Bracknell handed out a salutary lesson in centre forward finishing with John Bennett heading home his first from a cross. Four minutes later and the same player made room outside the box and clinically shot home number two. Bennett had two further chances for his first half hat trick when his shot was deflected and then he shot wide after a defensive slip. Home goalkeeper Ben Little had a couple of good punches clear from dangerous crosses but Bennett’s hat trick was just delayed when he chested down and shot home inside the box.

Didcot started decently in the second half with an Isaac cross cut out for a corner and a Hoskin run ended with Williams shooting over. Marshall had a shot comfortably saved before Max Herbert for Bracknellfired a shot which Little did well to save. Joe Parish made. a fine tackle to avert another Bennett chance before Bracknell had a goal chalked off for offside. With 11 minutes played of the second half Bracknell’s Carl Withers was sent off for kicking out at Keiran Collins.

Didcot had a period when they capitalised on the red card and Hoskin nearly converted a short back pass. Chris Mortimore replaced Adam Doyle and moments later Bracknell got a fourth from a breakaway with Herbert shooting home. Almost immediately though and Didcot scored when Alex Marshall cut inside and fired a left foot drive in to the top corner from well outside the box. James Barnett replaced Joe Parish before Didcot made it two when a McNish shot was parried out and Chris Mortimer tapped home the rebound. With 12 minutes remaining Bracknell made the game safe with Dan Read converting a penalty. Bennett scored his fourth when he raced clear of the defence.

Well done to Bracknell and good luck in the next round and in your Vase exploits.

Didcot Town Reserves 2 Bracknell Town 6 (away view)
Jon Bennett scored four times as Bracknell Town hammered Didcot Town Reserves 6-2 in their Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup tie at the Draycott Engineering Stadium. But it means the Robins now face a 187-mile round trip to Longlevens in Gloucestershire for their quarter-final.

Tuesday's win was slightly marred by a red card for Carl Withers and the experienced midfielder will miss the Biildbase FA Vase quarter-final tie against Markse United at Larges Lane a week on Saturday.

It took Bracknell more than half an hour to secure the breakthrough against Uhlsport Hellenic Division 1 East side Didcot with Bennett heading home Max Herbert's cross. Three minutes later the striker doubled the lead, controlling a ball from new signing Jessie Wilson and smashing home a volley from the edge of the area. And Bennett completed a 15-minute hat-trick just before half-time, with Adam Cornell creating the opportunity.

oe Gater had a goal ruled out for a push before Withers was sent off in the 57th minute after appearing to kick out at an opponent. Max Herbert, another recent signing, added the fourth on 65 minutes, finishing off a move involving Cornell and Dan Roberts.

Didcot pulled two goals back in quick succession through Alex Marshall and substitute Chris Mortimore to halve their deficit before the Robins added a fifth on 79 minutes. Kane Fitzgerald was brought down in the area and substitute Dan Read made no mistake from the spot. New signing Read then set up Bennett for his fourth and Bracknell's sixth goal.

Bracknell whose fixture at Fairford was postponed last weekend as the pitch was unplayable, are home to bottom club Burnham this Saturday and should complete the double following their 7-0 win at The Gore last November.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator