header uhlsport link

12-13 February 2019

perpetua press newent

Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup

Didcot Town Development 3 Malmesbury Victoria 4
The Railwaymen went out of the Floodlit Cup at Loop Meadow Stadium in a goal filled match on a fine night for football. It’s a shame that the match was decided by two goals gift wrapped by the Didcot defence for Malmesbury striker Bumphrey as their were some cracking other goals in an always absorbing match.

Didcot started well and several free kicks were awarded for fouls on George Reid and Ross MacDonald in the away half however most were poorly executed. Daryl Harris had a shot blocked midway through the half for Didcot but a minute later and a Didcot defender was too short with a back pass leaving the away attacker with an easy tap in and the Vics were one up. Just four minutes later though and Ross MacDonald received a good through pass and he strode on to hammer a low shot in to the corner of the net from the edge of the box. Didcot had the first equaliser.

Didcot continued to create chances and Keiran Collins and Harris both had shots deflected and just wide. The home team were stunned though when Jack Ellis left on his own unleashed an unstoppable shot in the top corner from outside the box to take a lead in to half time for the away team.

Didcot came out in the second half on fire and Harris crossed for Reid to turn home first time for their second equaliser of the night. Good work by Reid and MacDonald resulted in a cross which Harris probably should have buried but was kicked off the line. Unfortunately a third Vics goal came along when the home keeper inexplicably palmed a harmless shot on to the head of the Vics attacker who could not fail to nod the ball in the unguarded net from 3 yards. Three minutes later though and the third equaliser for Didcot from Taylor Janes lovely direct free kick.

Didcot were in full flow and Malmesbury were at full stretch to keep them out, Janes good shot from distance just going wide and MacDonald having two shots blocked within a minute.A long cross ball found for the Vics found Jamie Parker who easily shot home for what turned out to be the winner. Home substitutes proliferated and half chances came and went. Shane Bumphrey went in to the book late on for some petulance and was lucky not to be sent off for applauding the referee brandishing the card. However his constant play acting and jibing the ref finally wore the referee out and another yellow was brandished at him in injury time.

Vics ran out winners despite further Didcot pressure and proceed to play Flackwell Heath in the next round. Didcot played some excellent stuff throughout the game and will be sorely disappointed not to be in the next round.

uhlsport football kitPremier Division

Brackley Town Saints 1 Virginia Water 2 (away view)
VW undertook the very long trek to promotion chasing BTS, and on an excellent pitch with facilities to match, were rewarded with fantastic squad effort and three points. Missing some players from the previous Saturday, and with some per-match travel difficulties, the lads started the match second best, as the home side showed why there are one of the top sides in the division with some flowing football, albeit with not too many clear cut chances.

The Waters confidence grew and as the first quarter drew to a close, a great passing move between Josh Guichard, Joe McBride and debutant Eddie Lazarcuk, eventually found Adam McNamara in the box, who turned well, only to be brought down. Josh stepped up to bury the penalty. BTS came back hard, although VW defence held firm, and it was through our own mistake out wide left that led to the home side capitalising and heading in a cross on 29 minutes to level matters. VW went close, with the tireless Jake Baker and Adam both going close, and Finn Evered seeing a header blocked on the line.

The second half was a real hard battle as both sides gave their all, in particular the midfield guys, where for the away side, Joe McBride and Josh formed an excellent (first time around) partnership. Adam went close once more, albeit there was more action in our goal, but Matt and the defence ALL performed heroically., with Finn Evered making one memorable last ditch covering tackle to deny the home side a clear run in on goal. On 69 minutes, Jake harried their defender into a back pass, that Adam closed down, chipped the ball over the advancing keeper, and tap into an empty net – no more than he, and VW deserved.

There were a few hairy moments, but Waters managed the game very well, held their shape and came out on top in the end – just! We wish our excellent hosts the best for the future, as VW prepare for the 250 mile round trip to Lydney on the weekend.

Division One West

Thornbury Town 2 Tytherington Rocks 0

A much improved Tytherington team proved a hard nut to crack at the Mundy Fields on Tuesday evening, but Thornbury Town proved too strong and picked up another win to move up to third in the table.

Right from the kick off, Tytherington gave Town no time to settle on the ball and as a result the game became a midfield battle with little goalmouth action at either end. Harry Brock’s pace was causing problems down the Rocks left flank and he nearly opened the scoring 15 minutes in, but his shot was blocked on the line.

Tom Haim’s speed and strength up front for the visitors proved a threat but Nathan Sage and Pete Fowler kept him under control. Town should have taken the lead 20 minutes in when Tom Webb’s threaded pass set Marcus Wormwell clear but with just Rocks keeper Powell to beat, the striker steered his shot wide of the post.

15 minutes later, Brock set up Wormwell but his shot from six yards out was comfortably saved by Powell and the sides went in level at half time. A series of corners early in the second half saw some frantic defending from the visitors with skipper Pete Fowler having a shot blocked on the line.

Wormwell and Mark Viner both had goalbound shots blocked but eventually Thornbury took the lead they deserved on the hour mark. Craig Lancastle’s pass found Marcus Wormwell who dribbled round the keeper before steering the ball towards the goal, with Lancastle applying the final touch over the line at the far post. They nearly doubled their lead 10 minutes from time when Tom Webb’s run and cross found Lancastle but his shot was blocked by Rocks skipper Nathan Croot.

However Thorns' leading scorer did grab his second of the night a couple of minutes later with a wonderful solo goal which saw him weave his way into the box and slot the ball past Powell. Thornbury could have made the final score more convincing but Toby Bennett shot straight at Powell when well placed and then Matt Davis’ shot rolled along the line but no-one could apply the finishing touch but they saw the game out and sealed a deserved win.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator