header uhlsport link

uhlsport football kit9 February 2019

Uhslport Hellenic League Premier Division

Ascot United 1 Tuffley Rovers 1
Resilient Tuffley Rovers dug deep to thwart ten-man Ascot United as the Yellamen dropped more points in a 1-1 draw. Ascot had led through an incredible goal from defender Chris Ellis, but after Elliott Carey’s dismissal the visitors looked increasingly threatening with a man advantage, and duly levelled through substitute Dominik Kent.

The first half was short on clear cut chances, and when one finally arrived ten minutes before the break, visiting ‘keeper Luke Merchant was on hand to thwart the hosts. It looked odds-on that Dan Price would score when clean through, but Merchant stood up well and blocked the lively forward’s effort, before defender Rhys Davies was on hand to block Sheridan Campbell’s attempt to convert the rebound.

Earlier, Price had shot over after ghosting past the defence and setting himself for an effort that warranted more, although Tuffley’s Brett James might have done better with an off-target header after Will Dawes’ cross had spun up off a defender and looped into the penalty area. The industrious Carey saw a long range shot saved at the second attempt by Merchant just before the half-hour mark after Price and Geoff Kibaki had fashioned the chance, but it was Merchant’s save from Price soon afterwards that ensured parity at half time.

However, it was only three minutes after the restart when Ellis started and ended a devastating breakaway. Ellis ran onto his own headed clearance and powered half of the length of the pitch, played a one-two with Price, and continued his run and slotted past Merchant with the outside of his foot before being mobbed by his team-mates. At the other end George Lock’s excellent covering challenge denied James when the hosts looked exposed, although James would waste a free header from the resultant corner.

However, Carey’s 60th minute dismissal for a second yellow card left his side with a third of the game to play with ten men, and Kent finally levelled matters when Tuffley broke and James picked out the substitute at the far post, who thumped the ball back across Sam Gray and into the left-hand corner.

James then slid the ball agonisingly wide and saw a point-blank header saved by Gray as Tuffley sought a winner, although incredibly Ellis almost repeated his earlier feat for Ascot with another surging run – this time playing a one-two with Campbell – before firing high and wide of the top right from an almost identical position. There was still time for Campbell to head wide from another long throw-in from Ellis in the third minute of added time, but it would have been harsh on the visitors who will value the point more than their hosts.

Ascot United: Gray, Lock, Denton, Carey, Bouwers, Ellis, Kibaki, Carlisle (Haworth), Campbell, Price (Regragui), Lalustani (Laflin). Subs unused: Sullivan, Walters

Ascot United 1 Tuffley Rovers 1 (away view)
uffley Rovers extended their unbeaten Uhlsport Hellenic League run to five games, as they returned from Ascot United with a point, albeit with a sense of what might have been, after playing the last half an hour against ten-men. Rovers’ boss, Mark Pritchett, kept faith with the team that secured a long overdue win against Reading City fourteen days previously, making just one enforced change, as Sam Hill replaced the absent Luke Payne. There was a change on the bench, with youngster Adam Bloomfield, signed from Slimbridge’s Under 18s side after a prolific season, taking the place of veteran Shayne Bradley.

The opening exchanges reflected the recent form of the two teams, with Rovers combative and hard-working, whilst their hosts – who came into the game fourth in the league table but with only one win in their last five games – struggled to turn a territorial advantage into any clear chances to score. Such was the lack of chances that Sheridan Campbell’s effort, fourteen minutes into the game, was the closest either side came to scoring in the opening half hour but Rovers’ keeper Luke Merchant was alert and produced an excellent block to deny the Ascot forward. Will Dawes conjured a chance for Rovers just after the thirty-minute mark, but Brett James’ header went over the Ascot United bar and that was Rovers’ only chance of a half that ended with Dan Price being presented with the first clear chance of note, only for Merchant to come flying out of his goal and block the effort, before Rhys Davies covered to turn Campbell’s follow-up away from goal.

With that, the half-time interval arrived with the score at 0-0 and neither side having shown enough positive intent to deserve a lead. Rovers started the second period on the front foot, forcing an early corner, but they fell behind, on 48 minutes. Paul Carter’s corner was headed away by Ascot centre-half Chris Ellis and after the giant defender had collected the subsequent loose ball, he ran up-field, before exchanging passes with Price, before delaying his shot sufficiently to roll the ball under Merchant, as he advanced from his goal.

Twelve minutes later, the game turned back in Rovers favour, as Elliott Carey collected a second caution, leaving his side to play out the remainder of the game with ten men. Prior to that moment, Rovers had lost Cheltenham Town youngster Dawes to injury, with Dominik Kent entering the fray. In-between, James might have equalised but he was unable to connect with Carter’s corner less than three yards from goal, albeit under significant pressure from an Ascot defender’s challenge.

With twenty minutes remaining, the scores were levelled, as James produced a fantastic pass with the outside of his right foot to steer the ball across the Ascot defensive line and into the path of Kent, who arrived at the back post to guide the ball home, back across goal and into the corner of the net. James had two further chances in the next seven minutes, first steering a shot narrowly wide of Sam Gray’s goal, before the Ascot keeper produced a great block, as the Rovers man headed goalwards from close range. Bloomfield was then brought on, making his Rovers debut in place of Warren Mann, with ten minutes remaining.

Ascot had a glorious chance to seize all three points, but another fantastic run from Ellis ended, this time, with a shot that went high and wide of Merchant’s goal, and then Campbell headed a throw from Ellis wide in the final moment, but Rovers held on to add a valuable point to their total; and one that was deserved for their efforts over the full 90 minutes.

Binfield 0 Brimscombe & Thrupp 2 (Report By Arthur Strand)
Binfield met table toppers for the second time in a week after winning through the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup away on penalties on Tuesday before. Binfield were 10th in the table but are now 11th after losing the League game at home on Saturday. The winning goals were both scored in the first half but Binfield rallied after the break and kept the scoreline without addition. Brimscombe started with a couple of approaches and gaining a free kick but losing the ball because of off-side. The Moles went forwards but a scuffed pass allowed Brimscombe to clear the ball but a return to the Moles area gave Dave Lyons an easy save from a weak effort. Another look at the Moles saw Ollie Pitt chasing hard until the ball went out for a goal kick. Charlie Tuttle was tripped over giving James Knight a chance with the free kick from outside the penalty area but the ball landed on the top of the net. Brimscombe then took a free kick not far from the corner flag leaving a simple save for Lyons. Steve Peacock was on to an incoming cross but made no contact with the ball. James Campbell made a break and was able to direct the ball into the box, missing goal and any forwards as it passed the face of goal. Pitt was able to take a shot a few minutes later and Lyons was able to save comfortably. An inauspicious tackle left an injured Brimscombe player on the turf as play continued and the physio was called on. He departed the field of play and the first substitute appeared and the visitors continued to seek a break through but Ashley Caldwell's cross was nullified as off-side was flagged. Jack Smith chased a loose ball into the penalty area but Lyons claimed it from the bounce. Lyons was then beaten when the next rocket shot hit everything including the crossbar and the turf, not crossing the line bouncing up again conveniently for James Campbell to nod into goal in the 24th minute. With the lead at one nil, Brimscombe could dominate the rest of the half but not entirely with Jemel Johnson beating off 2 players at a time all around the penalty area and, finally, the shot was blocked by a solid defence. Pitt missed again as Moles were defending but when a free kick came their way, Johnson won the ball but the ball was headed away from the goal line by an attentive Brimscombe defender. Two free kicks later and Johnson was through with a dead certain opportunity denied by being offside. Ian Davies broke into a useful position but again the Moles could not finish. Jack Smith, of Brimscombe, in the 41st minute, latched on to a poor pass by Moles backs and threaded the ball past Lyons to further the cause for the visitors.

After the break. Binfield tightened up the game and, although they could not claw back any goals, they certainly prevented any opposition additional goals. Neither side made any changes at half-time As Moles took a free kick the ball entered Brimscombe's area where a foul occurred and Brimscombe had yet another free kick. Carlo Santoro saw the ball in the Brimscombe area and ran on towards it but was beaten in the race and chase. A free kick to Brimscombe took them back into the Moles's defensive zone and Pitt's effort went no further than Lyons. The latter was then required to rescue an incoming ball from near the corner flag. trading free kicks, Brimscombe had a crack at goal but had to watch the ball sail over the crossbar. Next thing, Charlie Tuttle had his work cut out to beat Jack Smith to the ball in Binfield's area and nod the ball back to Lyons. The visitors came back once more but Gary Smith [Binfield} acting as sweeper sorted out the ball that had worked its way beyond the full backs. Gale then had to deal with a high ball as the Moles attempted a counter attack. Brimscombe were forced back defending with Binfield pressing although making changes intermittently; Liam Baker was replaced by Josh Howell. Eddie Lee entered the game as Ian Davies exited the pitch and Binfield's 3rd substitute was Jamie Mitchell on for Jemel Johnson. The visitors also sent on their remaining two substitutes. Close to scoring as the keeper saved and the ball rebounded off the post giving Binfield a corner Brimscombe survived that attack unscathed and the next move fizzled out but Moles sent a ball goal ward that was bobbling as Gale caught it off the bounce. With time running out, Brimscombe decided to run down the clock at the corner flags in the Binfield defensive zone. Kyle Pitts collected the ball and ran along the wing but Lyons took the ball. Moles then had a free kick on the edge of Brimscombe's area. The ball came off the wall and landed on top of the net for a corner to Moles This was headed out for another corner. Binfield had worked hard in the second half but no goals were scored although it was not for want of trying.

Binfield: Lyons, (GK), Baker, Tuttle, Horscroft, G.Smith, Gavin, Johnson, Knight,(c). Davies, Peacock, Santoro. Substitutes: Lee, Mitchell, Withers, Stean, Howell.

Virginia Water 1 Bishops Cleeve 1
An entertaining match in front of a good crowd at Stag Meadow, with honours deservedly even on the day. Two years ago three leagues separated the teams, and it was a stern test for VW who are now winless in 5 league games.

The home team started the stronger with the wind in their favour. Liam Whyte, Jake Baker, Ruben Bande all had good chances and went close. Waters went ahead on 24 minutes after Jamie Reid was pushed in the box, and converted the penalty. At the other end, the defence were excellent, in particular Mark Lansdowne, with Matt in goal only having to deal with long shots. Try as we did to add to our single goal, it was not to be, and we held a slender 1-0 lead at the break.

In the second half the visitors were the better, and pressed hard, with their ambition of promotion at the forefront of their thoughts. The pressure told in the 75th minute when their striker got in between our CBs and miscued his shot under the advancing Matt in goal. Cleeve then had a good penalty shout declined, but to be fair to VW, we did have a number of chances to seal the game at 1-0 and even snatch all three points. Mark saw one header drift wide, and another cleared off the line, Adam McNamara forced their keeper into an error, but his shot was cleared off the line by a last ditch block by their CB.

Then with a draw looking likely Max Samyint hit a pin point pass, that Jamie took in his stride, only to see his shot go over the bar from close range. A great match for all who witnessed it, and we wish the Cleeve squad and their Management every success as they push for the title.

Uhlsport Hellenic League Division One Subsidiary Cup

Thame Rangers 3 Didcot Town Development 2
The Division One Subsidiary Cup encounter at The ASM Stadium pitched Thame Rangers who are unbeaten in 2019 against Didcot who themselves have been enjoying a good spell of form recently. Thame Rangers fielded their youngest squad of the season which included centre half pairing Finlay Murray and Charlie Elliott who are both 17, George Ashworth 18 and four other players 21 or under.

The first period of the game was fairly even with both sides taking time to settle. It was the home side that took charge for the remainder of the half and began to impose themselves in a very effective manner with wave after wave of attacking play. Calvin Evans down Rangers right hand side looked threatening and it was from his cross the Dan Hatton opened the scoring with a header from distance on 27 minutes. Miles Baxter on the opposite wing grew into the game and from one of his crosses Patrick Buston hit the post before the very same combination doubled the lead on 37 minutes as Buston finished clinically at the far post. One scare for Rangers came through the visitors Ross MacDonald. Ranger’s right back Adie Smith miss-judged the flight of the ball from a long clearance and MacDonald albeit in a wide position was clear on goal. Both Rangers centre backs made the ground up quickly and foiled the danger. Soon after and the move of the game which included nine Rangers players ended in Buston being set free for his second and Rangers third placing his effort low in the bottom corner. At this point the last thing Rangers needed was the half time whistle to come, but it did and Rangers went in at the break with a three goal lead.

In an effort to get back in the game Didcot switched their formation and to their credit were far better in the second. Rangers looked organised and dealt with the early threats well. Murray and Elliott standing firm in the middle of Rangers back four. On 67 minutes Didcot were presented a lifeline with a harsh handball decision given by the assistant that hit Elliott’s trailing arm as he attempted to block an effort on goal. Didcot’s George Reid scored from the spot. Rangers responded well and went on to rattle the woodwork with efforts from Buston and Hatton. Hatton had another effort blocked on the line and so did Zarius Edwards-Giraud before Reid clawed another back for the visitors on 85 minutes. There was still time for Rangers to rattle the woodwork with two further attempts and a clear penalty that wasn’t given as a visitor’s defender handled the ball above his head. Rangers managed the last spell well and move on to the next round of the completion.

A good day and result for Rangers after four straight draws. Didcot themselves fielded a very young talented team but credit to a very young Thame Rangers for coming out on top

One East

Penn & Tylers Green 5 Abingdon Town 0
Match Official Lennon Davis addresses both teams prior to kick off.Penn continued their mini run with a convincing 5:0 win over an improved Abingdon Town side. It was “touch and go” if the game could actually go ahead with all that rain over the last 24 hours and with standing water on the playing surface earlier this morning but gusts of wind and a subsequent pitch inspection late morning with the match referee sorted out that problem.

An early lead after a good goal scored by Rashid Hamid playing against a very strong wind in 7th minute was just the start required. Despite the difficult surface and the blustery conditions, the home side played some entertaining football and missed a number of good opportunities with Pritpal Raju coming very close. As the saying goes: “if you do not take your chances the other team is still in a game”. After about 30 minutes Abingdon Town, with their almost entire new personnel started to gain in confidence and shaded the next 10 minutes. Our keeper Pablo Latorre and the two reliable central defenders Jamie Hunt and Joe Dulieu kept things under control at that important stage of the game.

What was needed, was another goal just before halftime; that is exactly what happened. Rashid Hamid duly delivered again, just before the referee Lennon Davis, who had a good game, blew his whistle for half time.
The second half saw some more rain, which was not forecast, and then a game dominated by the boys in blue & white. A number of opportunities were carved out and with a bit of “looking up” and better communication the lead should have been extended much earlier than it did. We must also mention the opposition keeper Kieran Beesley, who had an excellent game with a string of good saves. The woodwork also came to the rescue twice when first Dom Brown and then Pritpal Raju hit the bar and the upright respectively.

However, the highlight of the afternoon was the hat trick goal by Rashid Hamid in 56th minute. It was worth the entrance fee alone. A fierce volley from the outside the right-hand side of the penalty area rocketed into the left-hand corner of the goal. This was goal of the season at any level.

Hard working Kingsley Etefia and Fred Tripp got their reward with a goal each in minute 85 and 87 to top things up. This was a rewarding win in very difficult conditions.

One West

easington v clanfield 9 february 2019 Photo courtesy of Edwin Barson @ebarsonphotosEasington 1 Clanfield 3
Sports suffered only their second defeat in the Hellenic Division 1 West against Clanfield 85, however it was the manner of the defeat which was the most disappointing aspect of the game. Apart from two spells at the beginning of each half, the visitors were comfortably the better side deserving all three points by the end of the match. A converted penalty scored by Callum Convey on the hour mark was not enough to overturn the deficit leaving Sports with much work to do in order to over haul Cheltenham Saracens in the coming weeks.

Sports certainly started brightly and used the width of the pitch well in the opening 10 minutes. Mike Spaull and Joe Eyre both flashed crosses across the penalty box but Craig Robinson was unable to make any connection. The visitors defended the edge of their box well and settled into the game and after a flurry of half chances they took the lead on 14 minutes. Josef Fullerton managed to wriggle free down the left hand side and then chipped an excellent delivery to the back post. The cross wrong footed the defence and as they adjusted, the ball was headed back across the goal for Callum Miller to stab in on the line. Easington tried to respond but for large spells they were left chasing the game. The Clanfield midfield controlled the tempo and were more accurate with their passing which left Sports stretched across the pitch.

Clanfield eventually extended their lead with 5 minutes to go until half time. There had been few chances at either end but unfortunately a lapse in concentration at the back lead to Josef Fullerton with a one on one chance and he tucked the ball calmly under Joe White to make it 0-2. Mike Spaull was played through in virtually the last kick of the half but Jamie Zolden was quickly off his line to smother at Spaull’s feet. 0-2 at half time.

Easington started the second half eager to score the first goal and pressed the opposition more than in the first half. Craig Robinson dropped back into midfield whilst Henry Rose went upfront and the switch seemed to work and meant Sports won the ball higher up the pitch putting pressure on the Clanfield defence. Zolden was again quick off his line to punch clear a neat cut back from Mike Spaull whilst he then claimed at the feet of Rose moments later. The visitor’s keeper did not time his next tackle so cleanly and Easington were awarded a penalty after substitute George Coombes was then brought down in the box by the keeper. Convey converted the penalty to make it 1-2.

Easington pressed for an equaliser and it was Convey again who went closest. After the referee played on following a challenge on Henry Rose, Convey was the first to the ball and he smashed a half volley that clipped the outside of the upright from the edge of the box. Unfortunately for Easington, the break through never came and Clanfield slightly against the run of play scored the decisive next goal. Clanfield had already seen a deflected shot bounce back off the post but on 74 minutes before they finally got the ball over the line after a chance from a free kick on the edge of the box.

Manager Ben Milner made further changes bringing on Michael Zinn and Josh Rose but Sports just lacked quality in the final third which meant that Clanfield were able to comfortably see out time to take all three points. A further muscle injury to Callum Convey capped the misery for Easington who now face Banbury United in the Oxfordshire Senior Cup on Tuesday before heading to Tytherington Rocks next Saturday.

Easington 1 Clanfield 3 (away view)
Having lost eight and drawn one of the last nine league matches against Easington, Clanfield broke the sequence with an excellent 3-1 win in which every player showed commendable commitment in difficult conditions. The last time Clanfield had beaten Easington in a league game was in 2013/14 when Steve Olphert and Adam Little were the goal scorers and Current Easington chairman Richard Meadows was in goal. Clanfield made one change to the starting line-up from Tuesday's win at Newent with Adam Pendell coming in for Michael Duerden who was on the bench.

Easington started the game brightly and came close early on, but Clanfield then had a couple of half chances and took the lead in the 14th minute with Callum Miller scoring from close range after a cross from Josef Fullerton was headed into his path. Clanfield were working hard as a unit and were closing down the home side well and looked dangerous when they attacked. Five minutes before half time Fullerton was clean through and made no mistake. However before the interval Jamie Zoldan in the Clanfield goal had to be alert to deny Mike Spaull.

Easington started the second half brightly with Joe Eyre having a shot blocked and Craig Robinson having a shot blocked, and the Clanfield defence was making some good interceptions and were playing with a lot of energy further up the field. However with almost an hour left to play Zoldan bought down substitute George Coombes and Callum Convey converted the resulting penalty. Convey came desperately close to scoring an equaliser when his effort hit the post.

Clanfield however got the all important third goal through Adam Pendell following a free kick just outside the area having thought they had scored earlier in the half, with the referee judging that the ball had not crossed the line. Easington made further substitutions, but although Zoldan had some routine saves to make Clanfield were able to see out the remainder of the game and claim three valuable points.

Both Clanfield and Easington are long term members of the Hellenic League and both have good youth policies. On a personal note it was good to meet up with the likes of Steve Slaughter, Wally Hastie, Karlton Stratford and other colleagues on the Easington side and once again the Clanfield contingent who but for the postponement of last week's postponement at Tytherington would have been playing their final away league game of the season. Easington had one of the best records in non-league football going into this game and have a local derby Oxfordshire Senior Cup midweek game against Banbury United to look forward to.

Two East

Risborough Rangers 0 Yateley United 0
After the pitch passed an early inspection we played at Home v Yateley United in the league looking for another 3 points. With a few players not available including Ben Jenkins, Nick Bressington, Alex Hockley and Adam Toms but Adam Toone came in at CB we still had a very strong squad available.  Rotating a few players and changing the formation allowed Chris Green, Harry Brown, Ben Lewis and Liam Burnett to gain starts.

We started the match on the front foot and soon took the game to our opponents causing them a lot of pressure getting forward at every opportunity it was attack after attack but their keeper pulled off several good saves from Matt Hatt and Liam Burnett in the early stages.  Yateley best chance came from a corner when Luke produced a good save from a header and then a player somehow blazed over when it looked easier to score.

We looked to take the lead in the 30th minute when we were awarded a penalty for handball which Matt stepped up to take but once again the keeper saved well to push the ball away. Another turning point was when the Referee saw an off the ball incident when a Yateley midfielder kicked out at the impressive Gary Rymer and immediately showed the player a straight Red and off he went. This made the away team switch to 1 up front and only attack on the counter and to be fair the no9 for them worked hard throughout without much support. Corey Flynn, Adam Toone, Chris Green marshalled well by Luke Midwinter in goal dealt with any attack very well.

The second half started very much like the first with the away team defending deep and looking to grind out a draw. Gary Rymer, Harry Brown combined well to put Don Fundira through on goal only for the defender to make a fantastic last ditch tackle before Don could pull the trigger.  Fresh legs were introduced on 65 minutes with Justin Hockley and the returning Dan Deakin from injury replacing Ben Lewis and Matt Hatt.

This nearly paid off soon after when Justin was put through on goal only for the linesman to put his flag up for offside to the astonishment of the supporters inline behind him. We continued to have a lot of possession and pin back our opponents but credit to them they defended well and gained another draw against us this season.

Andy quoted after “We knew it would be a tough game against a well drilled side but was pleased with the amount of possession we had and created several good chances which on another day could’ve seen us win very comfortable” Man of the Match went to Luke Midwinter who since returning to the club hasn’t conceded a goal.


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator