header uhlsport link

uhlsport football kit5-7 February 2018

Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division

Woodley United 2 Wantage Town 3
The opening fifteen minutes of the game were even with a couple of over hit crosses from the visitors whilst Woodley's best bit of play came courtesy of a nice run down the left by Owen Davies.

United had the game's first shot and it came courtesy of left back Carl Prestidge after a good spell of possession. His shot from distance was easy for the Wantage keeper. Town had two half chances twenty minutes in. Striker Steve Robertson delayed his shot too long allowing Abdul Kamara to block before Ben Willoughby missed to the left from a tight angle.

The away side went ahead half way through the half when Joe Grant turned in a left-wing cross.
Wantage's lead didn't last long, as nine minutes later James Tennant scored from a rebound after Davies' shot from the right was brilliantly kept out by Curtis Meare. Moments after the equaliser, Meare was the catalyst for a swift counter when his throw out to the right caught United with numbers forward. The resultant through ball had a bit too much on it allowing Alex Reed in the Woodley goal to race off his line and clear. Nine minutes before the break saw Town retake the lead with a fantastic strike from Willoughby. Out on the left flank and with nothing seemingly on, he fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner. The half ended with the sides trading shots. Robertson narrowly missed to the right from fifteen yards whilst Tennant shot over from just outside the box.

The second half started in the worst possible way for United when Robertson beat Reed with a low shot from eighteen yards. Rather than deflating the side, the goal spurred Woodley on, with the hosts going on to dominate the rest of the game.

A lovely move working the ball from left to right ended with a low cross from Davies being hacked clear. United immediately regained possession allowing Danny Horscroft to force a decent stop from Meare. On the backfoot, Wantage went on to create only one more meaningful chance. A really clean strike from Willoughby was well held by Reed after United could only partially clear a corner. Woodley made a change on the hour when Toby Bridges made his debut in place of Abdul Kamara. The following ten minutes saw Wantage's defence hold firm. With eighteen minutes left the home side made another change when Tennant made way for Greg Beckett. The introduction of Beckett nearly paid off immediately when he fed in Jake Nicholls on the left. His pass to Toby Briggs saw a shot on the turn miss to the left.

The pressure on the Town goal was mounting; a lovely move ended with a Beckett shot having all the pace taken off it due to a deflection, allowing Meare to save. Wantage's goalie was keeping his side in the game; his next stop was much more difficult but he was up to the task, keeping out a Horscroft effort headed for the left corner.

United made their final change with thirteen minutes left; Liam Wilson came on for Prestidge. Five minutes after the change, Woodley got a deserved second to set up a grand stand finale when Briggs bundled home a right-wing cross at the back post.

The final chance in an entertaining game saw an incredible passage of play. A Briggs pass to Davies on the right saw Meare off his line quickly to cut the angle and pull off another decent save. The rebound fell to a United player twenty-five yards out who crashed a shot against the bar; the second rebound also fell to a blue shirt who had a powerful effort cleared off the line! Desperately unlucky.

Division One West

Cheltenham Saracens 6 Tytherington Rocks 2
A potential banana skin was on the cards for Sarries, and with how the first half panned out it looked as if The Rocks were to pick up their first points of somewhat a miserable season so far. Sarries took the lead in the first half through an Oliver cross that was diverted into his own net by a Rocks defender, instead of Sarries building on this lead they dropped their tempo of play and the rocks were arguably the better side for the remainder of the half, having a goal chalked off for offside and a couple more promising moves. But the score remained 1-0 at the half time whistle.

The second half started with Sarries having the majority of the ball and being a bit wasteful in front of goal, with Sklenar and Martin guilty of spurring golden opportunites. It was then somewhat against the run of play that Hill was penalised for a tackle in the box and the Rocks had a penalty to bring the scores level! this then bought a reaction from the Sarries team and they scored the goal of the game only a few minutes later, Jones receiving the ball 25 yards from goal and curling an unstoppable effort into the stanchion of the Rocks goal. The sarries pushed again but Hill was unfortunate to pick up a second yellow of the game and recived his marching orders, 3 red cards in 13 games for the centre half. This kicked sarries into life, the impressive wide men for Sarries causing all sorts of problems with their pace and quality on the ball. Sklenar squared to Martin for a tap in 3-1 Karl Palmer was introduced and scored a beauty with his first touch of the ball 4-1 The referee then seemed to even up proceedings in terms of the penalties with Sarries awarded a soft penalty which Sklenar converted with confidence. Martin then scored his second of the game to make it 5-1 the impressive Hosking then made it 6-1 before Tytherington scored a 2nd late on, Sarries run out deserved winners and now face champions Ardley on the weekend.


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator