header uhlsport link

5 February 2019

Oxfordshire Senior Cup - Quarter Final

Thame United 2 Ardley United 3 - Report by Jack Johnson Oxford Mail Sports Reporter

Troy Bryan scored twice as Ardley United stunned Thame United to reach the semi-finals of the Oxfordshire Senior Cup. Billy Gillett was also on target as the Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division visitors triumphed 3-2 at the ASM Stadium.

Ardley had to come from behind in the quarter-final clash as the Evo-Stik South League Division 1 Central hosts opened the scoring on eight minutes. Dan West was fouled in the penalty area and Ben Sturgess scored from the spot.

Ardley looked to respond and Thame goalkeeper Craig Hill pulled off a fine save. They still had to be wary of the hosts, who went close to scoring a second when West headed wide.

But Ardley levelled on 26 minutes after a lapse in concentration led to Bryan shooting past Hill. The visitors made it 2-1 six minutes later as Gillett’s deflected effort found its way past the Thame goalkeeper.

Another defensive error led to Ardley increasing their lead on 58 minutes when Bryan seized upon an attempted headed back pass to nod over the helpless Hill. Thame hit back through West with 22 minutes remaining, but Ardley held on.

Craig Adey’s Ardley side return to Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division action on Saturday when they host Longlevens


perpetua press newent

Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup
Ascot United 5 Langley 0
Ascot United eased past nine-man Langley to reach the quarter finals of the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup on Tuesday evening. Already cruising at two-nil, the home side’s passage was all-but-sealed when the visitors were harshly dealt a double-red, before going on to add three further goals.

Ascot had already seen off one side from the Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 2 in this season’s competition, but Langley would arrive in much better form having won seven on the trot and boasting an array of talent, including ex-Yellamen Joe Jarra and Calvin Morgan. Fortunately for Langley, a combination of erratic defending in their ranks was mitigated by ‘keeper Oneal Garnes, who restricted Ascot to just one early goal.

That goal arrived after just ten minutes off the left foot of Elliott Carey, whose sweetly struck effort across Garnes found the inside of the right-hand post after Callum Carlisle’s tenacity had earlier retained possession for Ascot. Garnes then saved from debutant Sheridan Campbell barely a minute later, Usman Lalustani nodded wide at the far post when completely unmarked from Samir Regragui’s corner and Garnes saved once against from Lalustani through a crowd of players, but Langley survived and finally found their defensive duties.

At the other end, Dean Papali’s rare sight of goal ended with a wayward slice under pressure from Chris Ellis – Mohammed Riaz sliding him in - although a six-minute hold up just after the half-hour mark threatened to disjoint the visitors defence again when Finn Kelly-Lewis was stretchered off following an innocuous looking clash of feet with Regragui.
After play had restarted, Ellis turned provider for Ascot with a long ball to Campbell, Campbell cut the ball back for Regragui, and Regragui could only lift the ball over as half time approached. There was still time for a brace of headers from Louis Bouwers, although the Ascot captain would see his first tipped over by Garnes before the second sailed over.

Ascot doubled their lead four minutes after the restart when Kibaki laid James Haworth’s deep cross back to George Lock, who rifled an unstoppable effort into the roof of the net. Jarra broke down the right wing and picked out Langley striker Ben White as the visitors mounted a rare counter, and after White had held the ball up well, he laid the ball off to Riaz, who fired over.

However, the game turned on the double dismissal of White – for his challenge on Lock – and defender Luke Paris for his apparent role in the ensuing melee, although the Yellamen were fortunate not to have had a man dismissed for their own contributions. From that moment on the contest was sadly ended, although Ascot bagged three decent goals through Lalustani’s low effort after Lamin Sankoh had skipped along the by-line, Luqman Kassim’s strike following a neat one-two with Price, and Price himself in the third minute of added time after firing through Garnes.
Ascot United: Allen, Lock, Haworth, Carey, Bouwers, Ellis (Sankoh), Kibaki (Price), Carlisle, Campbell, Regragui (Kassim), Lalustani. Subs unused: Laflin, Denton

Brimscombe & Thrupp 3 Binfield 3 (aet Binfield go through on penalties)
It was the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup for Brimscombe on Tuesday night when they faced a the holders Binfield at the Meadow.

The playing surface was sticky but both teams adapted well. The visitors had a majority of the chances to start with and were unlucky to take the lead when a goal-ward shot was cleared off the line by Lilywhites’ Captain Chris Greenhough. The host’s had a handful of chances but with neither team able to find the opening goal both teams went in level at the break.

The wind and rain was relentless as the teams emerged for the second half. It didn’t take long for the deadlock to be broken when a cross from the right found Ben Deakin at the back post who nudged it in to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. Brimscombe found a bit of inspiration from that first goal, Sam Blackie sliding the ball under the en-rushing Dave Lyons giving the hosts a 2-goal cushion. Ian Davies netted for the visiting side and Gary Smith levelled just three minutes after. Brimscombe thought their luck was in when James Campbell nodded home a fantastic cross. The clock was ticking down and on the 90th the cup holders drew level again, Ian Davies doubling his tally.

No one wanted extra time but it was inevitable, nothing really happened during the extra thirty minutes but the pitch was starting to cause problems for both teams. It was time for the penalty shootout with the host’s taking first, Edd Major and James Campbell slotted home their spot-kicks before Kyle Pitts and Jack Horrell saw Lyons keep out their attempts. Ian Davies, Jemel Johnson and Stephen Peacock all converted and it was down to Charlie Tuttle to give the Moles the win and he slotted it home despite a touch from the hands of Ash Gale.

Brimscombe face Binfield again on Saturday at Hill Farm Lane in the League.


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator