header uhlsport link

uhlsport football kit April 14 2018

Premier Division

Lydney Town 3 Ascot United 0 (away view)
Ascot United’s longest away trip of the season left them with much to contemplate on the way home after falling to strugglers Lydney Town. Trailing 2-0 at the break, the Yellamen might have had a lifeline had Phil Silva’s second-half header been anywhere other than straight at the home ‘keeper, but it as it turned out they would concede another goal at the death, in comical circumstances.

The first chance of the game fell to Rob Lazarczuk after eight minutes, but the visitors’ top scorer saw his effort saved. However, the home side took the lead two minutes later Ross Gabriel fired under Lee Allen after the visitors had lost possession. In the 16th minute it was nearly 2-0 when Declan Morley-Lyne ran through and shot just wide of the right-hand post, but Ross Lyndsay showed him the way eight minutes before the break with a shot into the bottom left hand corner from the edge of the penalty area.

Da Silva’s moment came midway through the second half – and his failure to convert was compounded when his side were forced into a change when captain and defender Louis Bouwers went off injured just two minutes later. Ben Hodges might still have set up a grandstand finale with a 20-yard effort that whistled just past the post - 89 minutes played, but the home side killed the game off moments later when Matt Board scored. However, it was the poor Ascot throw-in, lost possession and inability to prevent the Board from scoring with two covering defenders, all part of the build-up, that is best relegated to the archives.

Next up for the Yellamen are Pewsey Vale in the cup this Thursday, with the Racecourse the venue.

Tuffley Rovers 1 Bracknell Town 2
Bracknell Town underlined their credentials as title challengers and promotion favourites against Tuffley Rovers on Saturday, but only after they saw off a determined display from Mark Pritchett’s team. Having been beaten to the title in 2016/17, when Thame United pipped them on the last day, Carl Davies’ Robins arrived at Glevum Park off the back of sixteen consecutive league wins, but knowing that they needed another three points if they were to face any prospect of overhauling their main title rivals, Thatcham Town.

Rovers started brightly, more than matching their high-flying opponents in the early stages, but the fine margins that separate title contenders from a mid-table side were evident, as the game came to life eleven minutes in. Ryan Davis, who is on a work experience deal from Cheltenham Town and has been in excellent form, was drawn into a rash challenge on Terence Bohane, as they competed for the ball just inside the Rovers area, and Seb Bowerman was presented with the opportunity to open the scoring from the penalty spot; one he did not waste.

If there was any concern, amongst the Rovers faithful, that they could succumb to a heavy defeat, under a barrage of pressure, they looked to have maintained some of their pre-match confidence as they continued to compete with Bracknell Town, looking far from a side who were 35 points ahead of them at the start of the day. However, Bracknell showed their clinical side, after 18 minutes, when Bowerman’s corner was headed back across goal and into the top corner by centre-half Joe Gator, who produced an excellent header from a difficult angle. Just two minutes later, Rovers were back in the game, as top scorer Brett James found space on the edge of the box, before driving home a shot that Bracknell’s keeper Chris Grace appeared to misjudge, as the ball bounced in off the post and across the line, to make it 2-1.

The half remained nip and tuck, with both sides challenging for the upper hand, but only half-chances for Kieran Alder and a penalty appeal following challenge on James, and a wayward shot from Kensley Maloney, followed and the score remained 2-1 to the visitors at half-time.

If there had been any fears that a positive first half display might be a prelude to a dominant second-half performance from the hosts, Rovers demonstrated the same level of intensity and commitment, competing on an equal footing with Bracknell Town and more than holding their own.
As the hour mark approach, Bowerman and the normally prolific Adam Cornell both wasted good opportunities, before Evans produced an excellent save to deny Bowerman again, on 62 minutes.

Bracknell were now looking the better side but they were wasteful in front of goal, failing to take advantage of a series of opportunities to test Evans further, although they looked odds-on to secure three valuable points, until the closing moments, when Rovers secured a free-kick on the edge of the Bracknell area.

Pritchett, who had replaced Courtney Hamilton ten minutes earlier, struck the free-kick goalwards, but Grace saved comfortably and the game ended in the visitors’ favour, as they maintained the form required to mount a serious title challenge.

One East

Chalfont Wasps 1 Thame Rangers 0
Wasps bagged a back-to-back victory to move up to 9th in the league on a bright Spring day at The Nest.

Wasps were at it from the start, tenacious in midfield, lively up top and the young back line were robust. The positive start was punctuated by an injury after 5 minutes but Wasps good work continued after the mini-break. Wasps first real chance came after 21 minutes; Numaan Khan won the ball and put Nick Little through, his shot was blocked by a last-ditch tackle. The match then evened up. Thames went close, a poked shot drifting wide of the mark from close range. Wasps then got what proved to be the winner. Jack Pearce’s snap shot from 20 yards hit the back of the net with 31 mins gone. Pearce then supplied a great cross which Josh Urquhart nearly converted, and moments later Dom Brown’s cross was nearly headed home by skipper Ryan Sweales. It remained 1-0 at HT.

Wasps survived a soft penalty appeal early on in the second period and Dan Little pushed away a couple of crosses, otherwise Wasps were under only a minimum amount of threat all half. Rushd Hamid, Luke Graham and Ryan Welsh all came on to add extra legs. The match became a little scrappy for 15 mins mid way through the half. Wasps fashioned the better chances and dealt well with any Thame attacks but no one added to the score. Great back to back win for The Stingers.

Sandhurst Town 2 Milton United 1 (report By Arthur Strand)
Milton United. at the foot of Division 1 East were the visitors to Bottom Meadow with Sandhurst expecting to take 3 points. Milton brought only one substitute which is indicative of something missing but they started reasonably strongly and kept the ball in the middle of the park until Charlie Oakley latched on to the ball as the defenders watched the ball cross the goal line in the 9th minute. After that initial goal, the visitors did not seem too phased but Sandhurst did advance into the area when Luke Burrows made ground and crossed the ball but Craig Griffiths accepted the ball easily so that gave Milton possession of the ball to amount a counter attack. This reached the Fizzer's area but defenders held out as the ball was headed away. With a long run up the right wing, Sandhurst returned to the opposite end of the field but Charlie Oakley's header never hit home. Milton then moved the ball forwards and Tom Cooper made it awkward for any further chances of scoring by Milton. Milton gained a corner kick which Sandhurst cleared and Cooper ate up ground quickly but his cross into the centre was overhit. After a corner, Freddie Barron took a long shot which went wide of the target before Milton regained the ball and Callum Patterson only reached the hands of Dan Roach, Fizzers keeper with a tame effort. Play was held up when a Milton player was down injured but he recovered. Sandhurst returned to business as usual in the Milton area but an interception gave the latter a chance to counter and the finishing shot was saved by Roach and, with the ball back, Sandhurst went upfield as Jon Malone ran on with the ball. A free kick, taken by Dan Gosling, curled over the cross bar. After a free kick for off side. Milton lost the ball and Sandhurst took advantage with a long run by Sam Green whose cross did not quite coincide with Conor Harlowe on his own,. unmarked, in front of goal. Dan Gosling took 2 opportunities to score, the first was saved by Griffiths and the second went wide. Milton were trying to keep up, though and the defenders denied the hosts once more with a good block and then a breakaway which ended as off side was flagged. Gosling had another shot but Milton's keeper saved it and his players took a free kick which sent them into the Fizzer's area. Roach punched the ball out Jack Newport gained the ball and his low shot reached Roach Milton escaped from defence and the half concluded with a corner kick.

Milton started the second set with a near miss but gave away a free kick, Adam Barnard had little effect though then Jon Malone shot wide of Milton's goal. Sandhurst needed a second goal for a cushion but the next shot just curled over the top of the cross bar. Then the Fizzers clinched the second goal in the 59th minute as Charlie Oakley was running in onto the ball and never missed. 2 - 0. to Sandhurst as time ticked along. Unexpectedly, Milton escaped from defence, gaining a free kick and with the ball approaching Roach's goal, Ollie Creed netted it in 65th minute. The next highlight saw the ball hit the side rigging. Griffiths was then forced to hoof the ball clear, denying Sandhurst forwards a chance. He then took charge of a high ball in his area but Sandhurst Harlowe sent a ball across to Oakley but it was intercepted and, with time passing, Dan Gosling tried once more, succeeding in forcing a corner kick. Substitutions, having been made, Bobby Mitchell made his presence felt Adam Barnard had a shot but no goal ensued then Harlowe supplied Oakley who hit the ball high over the bar. Luke Burrows then put the ball in to the area bot Conor Harlowe missed the chance. Milton made their way into Sandhurst territory, gained a free kick but Matt Hardwick shot wide. Milton finished their season with a corner kick which was cleared as the final whistle blew. A tough game for Sandhurst who play Penn & Tylers Green next Saturday at Bottom Meadow.

One West


Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator