header uhlsport link

uhlsport football kit April 7 2018

Premier Division

Ascot United 1 Longlevens 0
Rob Lazarczuk’s goal was the difference as Ascot United edged a scrappy affair with Longlevens on Saturday. The result was, however, harsh on visiting ‘keeper Ashley Wintle, who made a trio of fantastic saves and got a hand to Lazarczuk’s decisive strike, which left the home side on the brink of safety.

The first half was an ugly footballing spectacle which Longlevens just about shaded. Indeed, they were first to threaten Lee Allen’s goal when Craig Martin’s weak header from Myron Turner’s cross was easily plucked out of the air after just two minutes. At the other end, Dom Sullivan’s effort sailed well over following a Jonny Denton corner, but it took a crunching Callum Carlisle tackle on ‘Levens striker Shaun O’ Connor to deny the visitors a scoring chance.

Ben Hall, Ascot’s best player in the first half, played an incisive ball for George Lock to race onto, but he saw his shot deflected over for a corner; 26 minutes played. However, the home side had a let-off when O Connor’s header from Martin’s corner crashed back off Allen’s crossbar just after the half-hour mark. Samir Regragui should have made more of a chance to give Ascot a 38th minute lead, but after Hall’s fine pass had picked him out, he shot tamely at Wintle after doing all the hard work in cutting inside and taking two ‘Levens defenders out of the picture. There was still time for another dangerous corner from Martin to threaten Allen’s goal before half time, but big ‘Levens defender Adam Phillips couldn’t react quick enough after the ball had dropped at his feet with the goal at his mercy.

The second half was much improved, although once again the visitors threatened first when David Rich dragged wide just three minutes in. Lazarczuk then saw Wintle stand up well to block his lobbed effort from an immediate counter-attack, before substitute Louie Gilpin entered the action for his 50th appearance in yellow and blue. But the visitors still posed a threat, and it took two fine interceptions from Sullivan to avert danger; firstly in the 57th minute when he did superbly well to get on terms with Turner and make a well-timed tackle, and then five minutes later to block O’Connor’s shot after Ryan Dunn had got to the by-line and cut the ball back.

However, it was George Lock who would make the telling contributions as the game went one. His eagerness to get forwards from defence earned his side a 60th minute free kick which Denton floated into Wintle’s arms, but moments later his driving run and cross would lead to the crucial goal. This time, Ben Hodges played Lock in, and after his cut-back, Lazarczuk smacked the ball into the net from near the penalty spot. In the move of the half, Lazarczuk’s rasping effort then brought a fabulous save from Wintle who somehow tipped his thunderous effort over the bar, and Wintle would later claw away Lazarczuk’s lob at full stretch to underline his status as Levens’ star man.

With time running away, David Merrick saw two chances go begging for Longlevens – one of which thwarted by Callum Carlisle’s goal-line clearance after Allen had been beaten - but the home side otherwise comfortably saw out the win which leaves them on the brink of safety.

Fairford Town 0 Bracknell Town 2
Two goals in the last five minutes secured three points for Bracknell Town against a determined Fairford Town side, who were unfortunate not to have taken a share of the spoils. The home side produced one of their best performances of the campaign but were undone by an 87th minute penalty from Jamie McClurg and a neat finish by Adam Cornell. Fairford had to play the second half with substitute keeper James Hemming, with regular stopper Ben Mitchell forced off just before the break with a dislocated finger.

The hosts carved out two early opportunities with Matt Boucher, operating at right-back, sending a fine through ball to top scorer Lee Smith but he was unable to find a way past Chris Grace in the visitors’ goal. Liam Gale then went through one on one but was denied by the saving Grace. TJ Bohane then fired over 13 minutes into the contest after what had been a bright start from both sides before Cornell cannoned a free-kick over the bar. Fine defensive work from the home rear-guard then kept the score level. Keeper Ben Mitchell then made a string of excellent saves, several of them one on one, to retain parity but the hosts were dealt a blow before the break. Mitchell, making a stop from close range, dislocated a finger and was unable to continue with substitute ‘keeper Hemming stepping off the bench with two minutes remaining of the first period.

Gale’s pace took him away from the visitors’ defence after the hour but his left foot effort fizzed over with opportunities at a premium. Promotion-chasing Bracknell made a double change before Callum Preece was forced off injured for the home side, with midfielder Josh Hergest coming off the bench for his Fairford debut.

The game looked to be heading for a stalemate and a much-needed point, but an 86th minute penalty award for a foul right on the edge of the box by Josh Gregory saw the referee point to the spot. McClurg found the bottom corner to put his side in the ascendency with just minutes remaining. The second goal was a breakaway with Cornell lifting a left-footed effort over Hemming as the hosts pressed for a leveller – putting the seal on another away win for promotion-chasing Bracknell. It was a sucker-punch for Fairford, who had given it everything and held a side regarded by many as the best in the division for all but four minutes of an entertaining and competitive Hellenic Premier Division contest.

Royal Wootton Bassett Town 0 Wantage Town 3 (away view)
Wantage went about their business with a routine 3-0 win at Royal Wootton Bassett that moves them to within a point of second placed Highworth. The Worthians’ long run at the top of the league having come to an end today as they were not in action; FA Vase Finalists Thatcham seized the opportunity to take pole position with a 6-0 win at bottom club Burnham. Having already beaten Bassett twice this season the hosts offered little to indicate they would be able to stop Wantage securing the hat-trick of wins. Callum Wright fired a 35 yard strike comfortably wide on 9 minutes for Bassett, whist Jim Glover returned the favour three minutes later from a Steve Robertson lay-off.

The first real chance of note fell to Bassett’s Dale Richards after 20 minutes, Brad Cox losing possession pushing forward and the lively number 10 out-paced Chris Jackson to get one-on-one with Curtis Meare. But the former Bassett stopper’s mere presence was enough to force the shot wide of the far post. Harvey Scholes then saw his effort to give Wantage the lead on 26 minutes well blocked by Harrison Gough after a flowing move down the right flank involving Robertson and Jack Dunmall. And the same defender again denied Scholes ten minutes later.

With neither keeper seriously tested the opening goal rather came out of the blue; Scholes jinxed down the right before finding Dunmall’s feet. The striker slipped as he tried to turn, but even on the floor managed to retain possession, arise, turn and curl an effort past Ian Gill into the far corner. Jackson then blocked an effort from player/manager Sam Collier, who contrary to his press interview before the game had elected to start himself, on 41 minutes after the ball was cleared to him from a Bassett corner. And in the last minute of the half Glover scorned the chance to increase the lead as, after having skipped past two challenges, he could only fire straight at Gill at the near post.

Wantage looked livelier from the start of the second half, Scholes having a shot blocked on 47 minutes and Dunmall putting the rebound wide. Nick Thorne, on at the break for the injured Mark Flanagan, also fired wide three minutes later. The hosts responded quickly and David Coleman worked himself into a shooting position a minute later, but with Cox challenging the shot went harmlessly wide.

Wantage increased their lead on 65 minutes when Scholes’ perfectly placed a free-kick over the wall and into the far corner gave Gill no chance, mirroring a similar effort in the recent home game against Flackwell. Bassett responded well and went looking for a way back into the game. Coleman made his way to the goal-line on 69 minutes, but Cox was again on hand to block the shot at the near post. The returning Mark Francis replaced Scholes with 20 minutes to go, and was presented with an opportunity ten minutes later, but showed a little rustiness with a shot that cleared the bar. But the third came a minute later, Robertson twisting and turning in the area before nutmegging Collier and toe-poking the ball inside the near post before Gill could react.

The hosts’ Ben Lodge had arrived on the scene with ten minutes to go and posed several questions of the Wantage back line, and almost reduced the deficit just after Wantage’s third. But again Meare was quickly out to block with his legs, allowing Cox to hack clear. And that was that. Not a classic by any means, with a definite end-of-season feel about it especially in the first half. It was a better second-half and Wantage deserved their win. Next up is a trip to Oxford City Nomads next Saturday. But with fourth placed Bracknell playing at Lydney mid-week they will move above Wantage with a win, and Highworth have two mid-week league fixtures that on paper they should win. It’s looking like it will be a tussle with their Wiltshire neighbours for a third place finish for Wantage, but only time will tell.

Windsor 1 Tuffley Rovers 3 (away view)
Tuffley Rovers withstood a period of sustained pressure in the second half of the Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division fixture on Saturday, to record a vital win in their quest to secure their highest league position since the 2001/02 season. Rovers ended their 42 league game season in eighth place sixteen years ago, before securing their best since that time 12 months ago, when they sat in tenth place after 34 games. Mark Pritchett’s side now find themselves with an opportunity to match their 2002 placing, as they sit in eighth place with only a handful of fixtures remaining.

Their win at Windsor was their second in three days, following their 2-0 victory at Woodley United on Thursday evening, with the foundations for the victory, against a side just three points behind them prior to kick-off, laid in a fine first half performance, before a steely defensive display cemented the victory in the second period. The hosts included former Premier League striker Barry Hayles, now aged 45, in their line-up and it was the veteran – boasting Fulham, Sheffield United, Leicester City and Bristol Rovers amongst his former clubs – who had the first noteworthy chance, as he found space on the edge of the Rovers area but fired over the bar.

Rovers had started brightly and were increasingly difficult for their opponents to contain, with the physical strength of Shayne Bradley causing problems for the home defenders, whilst busy performances from Kieran Alder and Courtney Hamilton in midfield ensured Rovers saw plenty of possession. It was Alder, who has been a consistent performer in the Rovers midfield since signing from Bishops Cleeve in October, who opened the scoring, fourteen minutes in, as he pulled down the ball ten yards out, before showing composure to work enough space to turn and fire the ball home, low past Hugo Sobte and into the corner of the net. Hamilton was taking the more defensive role in the midfield partnership, but he also took opportunities to move into more advanced positions and almost provided Rovers’ second goal, when he rolled the ball into Bradley’s path, but Rovers’ own veteran striker fired high over the Windsor bar when well placed. If Rovers needed to be reminded of the threat carried by the opposition, it came on nineteen minutes, when Hayles worked his way into space, before firing a powerful driver goal ward, with Dave Evans beaten, only for the ball to cannon away off the bar. Almost immediately, Rovers attacked again and Bradley had a second chance, created by the industry of Warren Mann, and although he hit the target on this occasion, Sobte pulled off an excellent save to keep the score at 1-0.

As the half progressed Rovers were looking more impressive and they finally extended their lead, on 37 minutes. Evans showed great intelligence, quickly sending a free-kick upfield to
Bradley, who turned the ball on to Mann in a wide position and his cross was volleyed home by Alder, to make it 2-0; a lead comfortably held until the interval.

The second half started in highly competitive fashion, as the hosts sought to get back into the game, and only some excellent defending from the Rovers back four, with Shayne Anson, Joel White, Macaulay Herbert and Ryan Davis rising to the challenge, maintained the advantage held by Pritchett’s side. Rovers were now reduced to occasional counter-attacks, with Windsor forcing them to defend heroically, but they were equal to the challenge and almost extended their lead, on 73 minutes, when Bradley had another opportunity, as Rovers mounted a rare attack, but his shot lacked power and Sobte made a comfortable stop.

Within a minute, Windsor were back in the game, as Andy Ingram rose high to meet a set-piece and head the ball beyond Evans from six yards out. Rovers were now struggling to get out of their own half and then lost Hamilton to injury – resulting in Pritchett entering the fray in the holding midfield position – as they worked hard to hold the lead and secure the coveted points.

They looked to have risen to the challenge admirably, with Bradley and Pritchett particularly prominent in defending some well delivered set-pieces, but as seven minutes’ injury time was played out, they almost lost their lead in a dramatic closing minute. Amidst a crowd of players, Kieran Knight looked certain to score, only for Evans to make a sensational stop that kept the score in Rovers’ favour. If that wasn’t enough, a fast break, with Alder once again the driving force, ended with the diminutive midfielder being denied a hat-trick, as Sobte saved again, but when the ball fell to Bradley he didn’t waste another opportunity as he stroked the ball into the unguarded net to make it 3-1, giving Rovers increased optimism that they can secure the league position that Pritchett targeted at the start of the season.

One East

Didcot Town Reserves 2 AFC Aldermaston 2
The Railwaymen' last home match of the season brought a familiar drawn result but achieved in a gutsy display after being down to ten men for 50 minutes. AFC Aldermaston were the visitors for this league encounter at Loop Meadow.

In the second minute Jack Hollister’s perserverance touched the ball to Ross MacDonald whose fierce shot was well tipped away by AFC keeper Matt Desay. Adam Doyle fed Jack Hollister in the 15th minute and he ghosted past two players and shot low just past the post. Doyle was next to have a shot which was over the bar. Aldermaston had a shock for Didcot when Chase Jewell played a one two with Kai Parton-Edy and slipped the ball under Didcot keeper Parish for the opening goal.

Not long after and a dangerous Keiran Collins cross was sliced just past the post nearly resulting in an own goal. Didcot equalise in the 32nd minute when Collins cross was not dealt with properly and the ball bobbled up for MacDonald to back head over the Aldermaston keeper to equalise. Six minutes later and Didcot were ahead when Aaron Davies released MacDonald whose wicked cross was deflected in to the Aldermaston net by the luckless Dumbulua. Didcot were reduced to ten players though when MacDonald went off injured just before half time.

Hollister broke up the park early in the second half and he found Collins whose chip in to the box was cut out by the AFC keeper. Collins dribbled through the Aldermaston defence but the last defender just robbed him. Hollister next worked his way in from the wing and tested the away keeper. Aldermaston made numbers count though in a period of pressure which saw Caelen Isaac and Callum Young block shots and then keeper Parish save well from a fierce shot. James Barnett saved the day for Didcot with some smart defending and Chase Jewell had a goal chalked off for offside before Dumbulua capitalised on hesitant defending by scrambling home a goal from a corner kick to equalise. Hollister screwed the ball wide after good work and Didcot tried to push for the winner but it would not come. Dumbulua was booked for diving in the only card given out by smart Referee Steve Williams who controlled the game excellently and always seemed to be up with play.

Well done to the Didcot lads for the battling display and on to Virginia Water for the last game of the season next week.

Penn & Tylers Green 0 Chalfont Wasps 4
Chalfont Wasps took full advantage of a very depleted Penn & Tylers Green side to record a deserved 4-0 win on Saturday at French School Meadow. Penn started the match with only six first team regulars due to injuries and suspensions. Even joint manager James Pritchard made the starting line-up today.

However in the first 10 minutes Penn were very much In the ascendancy and should have made more of this early pressure and chances but as has happened all too often this season they failed to make their superiority count and Chalfont gradually got back into the match , with Mason Wright being a continual outlet and threat down the right flank, and the Penn & Tylers Green FC defence had to be alert on a number of occasions to thwart the lively Chalfont attackers and Matt Cannings in the Penn goal made a couple of good stops at the expense of a number of corners for Chalfont. Penn’s task was made even more difficult when Casey Bocarro succumbed to the effects of a week-long injury and limped off after 20 minutes and was replaced by Ryan Tisdale. Penn should probably have scored after 25 minutes when Chris Hurst was picked out with an excellent pass into the Chalfont penalty area and he turned and shot, but straight at the Chalfont goalkeeper who made a comfortable save. Thus, the first half ended 0-0.

The second half started badly for the boys in blue & white and Chalfont scored their first goal after 53 minutes when Mason Wright burst through and shot past Matt Cannings to put the Wasps 1-0 ahead. Penn never really recovered from this setback and were now having to defend more and more and tiredness was setting in. There was a glimmer of hope for Penn however when Josh Fox, in his first game for six weeks, burst down the left flank and unleashed one of his trademark thunderbolts but Dan Little in the Chalfont goal made an excellent save and the danger was thwarted. The inevitable 2nd goal came on 74 minutes when the excellent Mason Wright burst through from the half way line and comfortably slotted the ball home to make it 2-0. Chalfont were now pretty rampant and Penn had to do some last ditch defending on a number of occasions to stem the flow. Andrew Parry came on for Owen Wood and for a while his fresh legs exuberance and enthusiasm did inject some hope for Penn and there were some signs of getting something out of the game as Penn had a couple of promising attacks which unfortunately produced no end product.

However, Chalfont were in no mood to relinquish their superiority on the day and after 85 minutes Chalfont put the game to bed when Mason Wright burst through unchallenged again down the right-hand side of the Penn defence and finished easily to complete his hat trick to make the score 3-0. The icing on the cake for Chalfont came in the 90th minute when Dominic Brown scored direct from a free kick on the right-hand side of the Penn penalty area 20 yards out to complete an excellent day for Chalfont. For Penn, it was a day to forget result wise, but all credit to the reserve players who stepped up to the task in hand and never let themselves or the team down in any way, shape or form and performed admirably and heroically from start to finish.

Penn & Tylers Green 0 Chalfont Wasps 4 (away view)
Wasps took advantage of an understrength Penn to record their best away result of the season.

Penn started brightly and push Wasps onto the defensive for the first 5 then things evened up as both sides got bogged down in midfield for 10 minutes. The next bright spot saw Numaan Khan control a good Wasps foray which the home side eventually snuffed out. Mason Wright cut in from the right after 21 minutes and his acute shot was pushed to safety, the resultant corner being whacked clear. Wright pace got him through again 3 minutes later but he blazed over, soon after he had one ruled out for off-side … two good sighters for his second half successes. The final act of the first period saw Mikey Benning surge forward before being closed down in the box. 0-0 half time.

Wright got the first of his hat trick 8 minutes into the second half, slotting in from close range. Dan Little made a good stop before Wasps started to become dominant. Khaan found Nick Little on the overlap, his cross evaded everyone; Benning drove just wide and Wright cleared the crossbar before netting his second. Wright beat the offside line and ran in to finish cleanly from the half way line, 0-2 74 minutes. On the 85th minute mark Wright got his third, a similar run and shot. Dom Brown put the icing on the cake with a well-executed free kick in extra time.

Sandhurst Town 3 Wokingham & Emmbrook 4 (report by Arthur Strand)
Wokingham & Emmbrook visited Bottom Meadow on Saturday last for a local Derby with Sandhurst Town with Sasndhurst just above the Sumas in the Division table. With both Goalkeepers unavailable, Wokingham fielded veteran goal keeper, Gary Collins at 56 years old. As the game commenced Jake White made a rush towards goal but the ball ran out of ground early on and Dan Roach made a good save and Wokingham pressed forwards and into the Sandhurst goal area. This created a corner kick for the Sumas but the header missed the target. It was then Sandhurst's turn to explore the capabilities of the visiting defenders as Freddie Barron received the ball and in next to no time had sprinted along the left wing into the Wokingham area where the ball was cleared on losing possession, giving Sumas a chance to counter attack. Bobby Mitchell swung into action but then Sandhurst were caught offside. The yellow card was shown to Joe Cummuskey, Wokingham, after a clash but Wokingham then gained a corner kick which Ben Broadhurst took with no outcome, Lewis Wells went down injured and was replaced by Josh Mynard. Freddie Barron then sprinted a quality run which saw the ball end up in the Wokingham net, courtesy of Conor Harlowe, giving the Fizzers the lead. After Luke Burrows was booked, Sandhurst surged forwards and Conor Harlowe added a second on 36 minutes. The last ten Minutes of the first half saw Sandhurst defending as Jon Malone battled his way into mid field. Sandhurst made it to half-time without scoring and Wokingham applied pressure from which the hosts escaped.

The second half kicked off with Sandhurst putting the ball intothe are but Gary Collins palmed it away only for Sandhurst to approach goal once again. As Sumas received possession they tore up the flank giving Jake White a golden opportunity to finish, clawing back a goal in the 49th minute. From a corner kick gained a short time after the restart, Chris Newlove headed wide of the mark, seeking a quick equaliser. With fortune smiling on the hosts, Conor Harlowe added the Fizzer's third goal, making it his hat-trick on 59minutes and as the game matured, Ben Broadhurst added a second for Sumas. Freddie Barron forced a corner which bore no fruit and Wokingham took up the initiative until Joe Cummuskey headed wide of goal. However, Jake White came into view with the ball and equalised in the 72nd minute. Sandhurst started to pile pressure on the opposite defenders but Wokingham worked their way out of defence and into the Sandhurst area where James Clark shot well wide and Dan Gosling's next free kick was headed wide. Conor Harlowe aimed his next shot at Gary Collins who saved comfortably. Fred Barron took a shot but the Wokingham defence dealt with it Disaster for Sandhurst and raised hopes for Wokingham when a foul created a penalty. Jake White stepped up to the spot and slotted the winner, as he created a hat-trick. A good end game but Sandhurst really needed to hold on to the 2 goal lead from the first half. Wokingham took some risks which paid off in the end. Not often at this level does a player from each side get a hat-trick!

Thame Rangers 5 Chinnor 1
In picture perfect conditions at The ASM Stadium, a youthful Thame Rangers recorded their biggest league victory of the season so far and a well-deserved three points against a strong experienced Chinnor FC. The impressive Patrick Buston scored another hat trick. That is two in under a week now for the league’s second highest goal scorer. Miles Baxter got one and the pick of the goals was a 35-yard thunderbolt from Charlie Attwell that no keeper would have saved.

The opening exchanges were quite tense as both sides looked to settle and most of the play was inside the middle third, as both teams cancelled each other out in a scrappy opening 20-minute period. Thame Rangers found it difficult to get into their stride but as the game opened up a little they found more space and started to create chances as the game began to flow more. Rangers midfield and front line began linking up better and Craig Faulconbridge had the first opportunity to break the deadlock. His attempted lob sailed just over the bar. Then the goal of the game and up there as one of the best goals ever seen at The ASM Stadium came from Charlie Attwell on 27 minutes. He smashed a powerful unstoppable direct free kick from around 35 yards into the top left corner that no keeper in the World would have saved. A few more half chances came and went for the home side before the break. Chinnor had an excellent opportunity to level the score from the penalty spot just before half time. Player Manager Tom Folley took on the responsibility for Chinnor but Andrew Stringer in goal for Rangers was up to the task and he saved Folley's powerful attempt palming the ball to safety. The half ended with Rangers one up.

The second half started with Chinnor on the front foot and they enjoyed their best spell of the game, which included the equaliser. Stuart Maclellan whipped in a dangerous corner with curl and pace from the left and Tom White was on hand to finish from close range on 56 minutes. Rangers responded immediately through Miles Baxter. Patrick Buston raced clear of the visitors back three and squared to Baxter and he placed his effort in the bottom corner to regain the lead for the home side. From there on in Buston stole the show yet again, completing a second hat trick in under a week in 16 minutes. His first came on 67 minutes when he cleverly lobbed Ben Taunton giving him no chance, his second on 75 minutes when he raced clear and calmly rounded Taunton for an easy tap in. He broke clean through for his third on 83 minutes and placed his effort in the bottom corner to complete the scoring for the day.

One West

Kidlington Reserves 0 Ardley United 1 (away view)
Ardley United have won the Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1 West title after a 1-0 win away to Kidlington Reserves. Ardley have led the table from day one of the season and this caps what has been a remarkable season for the club.

Ardley knew they were in for a tough game against Kidlington and despite lots of pressure they couldn’t find the opening they were looking for. After 65 minutes Ardley defender Daniel Leggett received a red card and it looked like it wasn’t going to be their day.

However, just 5 minutes later, Captain, Deon Gallacher made the breakthrough. He made a great run into the area and following a step over to ghost past the defender he shot low and hard into the far corner to give the keeper no chance. Ardley were rarely troubled, but when they were keeper Christian Lawrence was in fine form.

Chairman Ian Feaver said after the game. “I am over the moon! Craig Adey and his team have done an amazing job and this has been a real team effort both on and off the pitch. So many people have contributed so much to our success this season and I can’t than them all enough. We will now be ready to tackle the Premier Division and relish the challenge that it will bring.”

Letcombe 1 Cheltenham Saracens 0
Letcombe showed no signs of rustiness after their recent postponements and raced out of the blocks as they put Cheltenham Saracens on the back foot from the start. Adam Bruce, Kye Franklin and Ben Hummell saw plenty of the ball in attack, and Bruce had a shot well saved by visiting keeper Joe Smith, and a shot from Hummel went narrowly wide. The best chance of the half fell to Iggy Ilott, but he somehow managed to put his shot wide from six yards. Ilott and Sam Mulvey were controlling midfield, and a solid Letcombe defence gave the visitors few sights of goal. James Wright, home from university, gave a fine display as sweeper in his first appearance of the season. Adam Bruce struck the post with a fierce shot as half time approached, but the half finished goalless.

Letcombe did not start as well in the second half, and it took an outstanding finger-tip save from keeper Charlie McCready to stop Jack Sklenar putting the visitors ahead. McCready has been the find of the season, but the man of the match performance for Letcombe came from right back Jack Heggie who put in a `never say die` shift to clean up numerous attacks, but still managed to get forward and supply many good crosses. One such cross was partially cleared by the Cheltenham defence, but Iggy Ilott reacted quickly to hit an overhead pass to Ben Hummel, who raced away to give Letcombe the lead.

The visitors pressed forward in search of an equaliser, but solid defending from Shemar Pettet and skipper Andy Goodchild saw the hosts weather the storm. Adam Bruce, who had worked his socks off all afternoon, had a shot well saved by Joe Smith in the closing minutes, and manager Garry Cook was quick to praise a great team effort, but reserved special praise for Jack Heggie for his `amazing` display.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator